The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #9,781 of 29,017
The stock cable is about 10 feet long. My amp is generally about 2-3 feet away. Along with being annoying to manage that length, you are guaranteed to have the cable fall all the way to the floor before going back up, meaning you'll have the weight of at least a few extra feet tugging on your head. The cable's composition is a bit heavy as well. My balanced cable is much lighter if you take the same length of each. My balanced cable is a much more manageable 6 feet.

The braid of the cable is easily felt through the sleeving. It's sort of lumpy and doesn't look very nice either.

The plug is somewhat long and unwieldy. Tight spaces can make it hard to use, but even in open area, the extra length can cause it to stick out over the edge of tables and be a snag problem, or just look ugly.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #9,782 of 29,017
The stock cable is about 10 feet long. My amp is generally about 2-3 feet away. Along with being annoying to manage that length, you are guaranteed to have the cable fall all the way to the floor before going back up, meaning you'll have the weight of at least a few extra feet tugging on your head. The cable's composition is a bit heavy as well. My balanced cable is much lighter if you take the same length of each. My balanced cable is a much more manageable 6 feet.

The braid of the cable is easily felt through the sleeving. It's sort of lumpy and doesn't look very nice either.

The plug is somewhat long and unwieldy. Tight spaces can make it hard to use, but even in open area, the extra length can cause it to stick out over the edge of tables and be a snag problem, or just look ugly.

Alright, gotcha. Yeah, had the same problem with the stock Audeze cable for desktop use. The same reason I got upgraded cables for them as well. Thanks for pointing that out. If I like them enough after a certain period, I'll definitely pick one up as well?

Besides the physical aspect, how is the stock cable sound wise?

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #9,783 of 29,017
I don't have 2 cables of the same termination. Cables are the last thing I'll bother with, regarding sound, once my system is complete.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #9,785 of 29,017
I'll probably stick with the stock cable. My DAC/AMP combo isn't changing for sure. Perhaps a smaller 6 footer cable later. Warranty and reliability seems decent as well. The only thing I was actually worried about was revision changes. I hated dealing with that previously. Would have sucked to get something sounding different than what I auditioned. Seems like it shouldn't be an issue either.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #9,787 of 29,017
Both, however fail the soundstage criteria.

Really ? Didn't heard the 009 but the Abyss IMHO offers spectacular soundstage & image.  Imaging was especially good from what I remember.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #9,788 of 29,017
  Going to buy a HD800 sometime in the future, just need to clarify some things:

Stock Cable - Thoughts? Good enough permanently, good enough until upgrade or should be replaced immediately? I'll give the stock cable a chance for sure when I get it, but would also like to know in advance if I need to save extra for a cable.

Revisions - I've read here and there about a 6 kHz decrease and more bass boost in comparison to the old models. Roughly when did that happen, in case I find a used one going in the lower serial number. How has the sound changed over the 20,000+ headphones?

Warranty - I've had to repair my Audeze and Hifiman stuff quite a few times, luckily I was under warranty. How are the HD800 generally considered with these types of issue. I am guessing this should a non issue with these, but would still like to get my peace of mind from the members here.

Good enough if you aren't annoyed by the 6 kHz band. If you feel that the 6 kHz band is slightly etchy it's worth replacing with a pure copper cable before you start amp/dac rolling.

There are differences between headphones, but not major ones. And as far as I know the differences are not based on serial number, just a bit random.

They really are very reliable, and senn is great with warranty anyway.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #9,789 of 29,017
Installed the Speedball on the Crack tonight and wow. This is an ass load of amp. I wasn't entirely impressed in its stock form because everything felt a little loose and wild, but that Speedball really tightened things up quite a bit. Big thumbs up for this one.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #9,790 of 29,017
A fellow headfier who lives near me just acquired the Sennheiser Orpheus and he uses a Dubiel Accoustics Eurydice electrostatic amp to power them. I might bring my DNA/HD800 down when i get it and do some comparisons. Another headfier has 009/BHSE and has invited me to his house for a listening session in the summer. 

Hi Paddy,

I've just come across this post of yours and I'm assuming I'm the head-fier you're referring to regarding the 009 / BHSE, if so then when you visit my place this Summer, and with you having the HD-800's, it might be a good idea to bring them with you to try with my GS-Xmk2.
Bringing your HD-800's, and the way my BHSE and GS-X are connected to my source, would allow you to listen to the 009 / BHSE and HD-800 / GS-Xmk2 in seconds of each other, that can be done by just switching from XLR to RCA via my source.

Dave.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #9,791 of 29,017
Hi Paddy,

I've just come across this post of yours and I'm assuming I'm the head-fier you're referring to regarding the 009 / BHSE, if so then when you visit my place this Summer, and with you having the HD-800's, it might be a good idea to bring them with you to try with my GS-Xmk2.
Bringing your HD-800's, and the way my BHSE and GS-X are connected to my source, would allow you to listen to the 009 / BHSE and HD-800 / GS-Xmk2 in seconds of each other, that can be done by just switching from XLR to RCA via my source.

Dave.

I am really looking forward to that. Also you have LCDXC, I'm thinking of selling my T1's and putting money towards getting those. 
It will be a good visit. I'm also looking forward to trying your Yorkshire ales. I'm liking ale these days.  
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #9,792 of 29,017

Good enough if you aren't annoyed by the 6 kHz band. If you feel that the 6 kHz band is slightly etchy it's worth replacing with a pure copper cable before you start amp/dac rolling.

There are differences between headphones, but not major ones. And as far as I know the differences are not based on serial number, just a bit random.

They really are very reliable, and senn is great with warranty anyway.

The 6k peak is caused by the headphone not the cable, if you want to fix the peak I would modify the headphone rather than changing the cable, but who knows maybe a stock HD800 with a different cable is a better compromise for some people.  IMO you would may also want to look for certain pure copper cables, as the cable I am using, although pure copper, did nothing for the 6k peak or etchiness, which suits me fine as I want a transparent cable, if there is such a thing etc. etc.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #9,793 of 29,017

The 6k peak is caused by the headphone not the cable, if you want to fix the peak I would modify the headphone rather than changing the cable, but who knows maybe a stock HD800 with a different cable is a better compromise for some people.  IMO you would may also want to look for certain pure copper cables, as the cable I am using, although pure copper, did nothing for the 6k peak or etchiness, which suits me fine as I want a transparent cable, if there is such a thing etc. etc.

My experience is also that the 6k Hz is still is there even with a pure copper cable.

If you want to reduce the 6 kHz peak this can be done with EQ'ing, the anax mod, or picking a dark dac/amp if you so desire. Or maybe a combination of those.

But my experience is that while a pure copper cable doesn't exactly reduce the 6 kHz peak it makes it a lot less harsh and fatiguing, the presentation feels more relaxed and less hard. Perhaps the speed is a tad of an inch slower, but for me that's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to make. It makes it more listenable in the long run and it's already stupid fast in stock form.

That's my experience from playing with cables.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #9,794 of 29,017
I am really looking forward to that. Also you have LCDXC, I'm thinking of selling my T1's and putting money towards getting those. 
It will be a good visit. I'm also looking forward to trying your Yorkshire ales. I'm liking ale these days.  :beerchug:

Since using the PH tubes with my BHSE, I only listen to my LCD-XC / GS-Xmk2 while waiting for the BHSE to warm up, however, I think the LCD-XC / GS-Xmk 2 combo is still very good so you might prefer that combo to the 009 / BHSE.

I don't drink that much beer nowadays, and I haven't had ( what I consider ) a very good pint of Yorkshire Ale for along time. The beer I mostly drink is John Smiths and it was John Smiths hand pull that was the best pint I've had, which was sometime ago. It was at a pub near Tadcaster but I can't remember the name of the pub.
Tadcaster is about 18 miles from Castleford.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #9,795 of 29,017
  Have you used another amp beyond the LLMk1? It certainly wasn't the final word with the SR-007/9s in amp'ing IMO. 
redface.gif
 It was previously mentioned that the HD800s have more detail...I can't agree with this as I'm still hearing things on my favourite recordings that the HD800/GS-X MK2 have seemed to have missed. In terms of soundstaging, the HD800s are still tops in my books. Both are outstanding examples of engineering at its finest. 

I fully agree here Peter.  

The same with the HE-6 and a good amp.  No detail is lost on either.  The Soundstage of the HD800s are to die for "with Classical music"  IMO it's to much of a good thing with other types of music that does not require a huge sound stage.  That's where the 009's and the HE-6 excels.  Imaging on the HD800s can bee a little funny at times, yes it's really good for the most part, but in intimate Jazz settings with female vocals the singer can seem a little to distant and not as cozy and right there in front of you like the 009 and the HE-6..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back