The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #9,797 of 29,013
I received my HDVD800 yesterday, had a listen through a few tracks on my hd800 on the single ended stock cable, waiting on my balanced cable to arrive should be here today.
I am letting it burn in through tomorrow when I will have the evening to really sit and listen and form a better impression.
But from the small sample last night, I am very happy to say I like what I am hearing and from all accounts the balanced should sound even better so I am pretty thrilled.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #9,799 of 29,013
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #9,800 of 29,013
At the moment I'm running my Hifiman 901 as my DAC and my amplifier is a Corda Classic. I love the set up but I've seen people posting about using tube amps. Does a tube amp make that much difference when it comes to the sound signature? 

I recently read the paper The State of the Flagship and even though I think it's a personal preference when it comes to open or closed headphones (I prefer closed), I agree with the definition of what the paper said a flagship headphones should provide. I enjoy the sound of my HD800, but I prefer my ED8 since the bass is stronger because it's a closed headphone. Unfortunately Ultrasone's headphones are fashion accessories first so IMHO the price paid isn't worth the sound coming out of the dynamic drivers. The mids on the ED8 don't come close to touching the HD800, in saying that does your amplifier play that much of a difference in the quality of sound coming out of your headphones if your amplifier is pushing Class A (extremely clean power) Power?  

If it does why not just by a headphones between $500 to $1000 and increase the cost of the amplifier that is being purchased? Before I purchased the HD800 I looked at the Audeze LCD-3, after looking at the weight and talking to a couple of owners about comfort I decided on the HD800 and I have no regrets. This headphones has to be the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, I'm getting to the point where if what I buy its not made in Germany or a Scandinavian Country I'm not going waist my money. (Hifiman will be the only exception because of the quality of the internal components, my 901 looks like a plastic toy but the sound coming out of it is makes me smile) Hopefully I can get some good recommendations. 

The tube amp I've had my eye on is the Icon Audio HP8 MKII, I know this is made in the UK so I have to ask has anyone paired this with the HD800? 

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #9,801 of 29,013
At the moment I'm running my Hifiman 901 as my DAC and my amplifier is a Corda Classic. I love the set up but I've seen people posting about using tube amps. Does a tube amp make that much difference when it comes to the sound signature? 

I recently read the paper The State of the Flagship and even though I think it's a personal preference when it comes to open or closed headphones (I prefer closed), I agree with the definition of what the paper said a flagship headphones should provide. I enjoy the sound of my HD800, but I prefer my ED8 since the bass is stronger because it's a closed headphone. Unfortunately Ultrasone's headphones are fashion accessories first so IMHO the price paid isn't worth the sound coming out of the dynamic drivers. The mids on the ED8 don't come close to touching the HD800, in saying that does your amplifier play that much of a difference in the quality of sound coming out of your headphones if your amplifier is pushing Class A (extremely clean power) Power?  

If it does why not just by a headphones between $500 to $1000 and increase the cost of the amplifier that is being purchased? Before I purchased the HD800 I looked at the Audeze LCD-3, after looking at the weight and talking to a couple of owners about comfort I decided on the HD800 and I have no regrets. This headphones has to be the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, I'm getting to the point where if what I buy its not made in Germany or a Scandinavian Country I'm not going waist my money. (Hifiman will be the only exception because of the quality of the internal components, my 901 looks like a plastic toy but the sound coming out of it is makes me smile) Hopefully I can get some good recommendations. 

The tube amp I've had my eye on is the Icon Audio HP8 MKII, I know this is made in the UK so I have to ask has anyone paired this with the HD800? 

You made the right choice, I liked my Audeze but weight and discomfort just doesn't do it, and I am not a fan of dark sounding.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #9,802 of 29,013

Might want to look into purchasing them from colorware to preserve the life of the paint.  That's if your willing to pay the full MSRP.

I know about Colorware but doing that automatically kills their warranty with Sennheiser. Coloware only offer a year warranty on those. For two years it's $299 extra.

Care to explain the paint preservation?

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #9,803 of 29,013

I have not personally heard the HP8 but I highly, highly trust this reviewer and I know he thinks it's an excellent match with the HD800: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #9,804 of 29,013
I know about Colorware but doing that automatically kills their warranty with Sennheiser. Coloware only offer a year warranty on those. For two years it's $299 extra.

Care to explain the paint preservation?

Not true. Senn honors their 2 year warranty on Colorware'd HD800s. Confirmed by Senn staff a couple years ago. I would link but I'm on my phone atm.

Also, Colorware's warranty is only on the paint, not the unit itself, IIRC.

Colorware paint seems to be more durable. The Senn paint can flake off according to some users. My Colorware HD800s have no paint issues after having owned them for about 2 years now.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #9,805 of 29,013
Thanks for the read, I will probably end up picking up that tube amp and calling it for a decade when it comes to headphones. Hopefully one day a closed headphone will be produced that will have this type of clarity and openness. From a fundamental design standpoint it may never happen, but one can only hope. 

Thanks again. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #9,806 of 29,013
Not true. Senn honors their 2 year warranty on Colorware'd HD800s. Confirmed by Senn staff a couple years ago. I would link but I'm on my phone atm.

Also, Colorware's warranty is only on the paint, not the unit itself, IIRC.

Colorware paint seems to be more durable. The Senn paint can flake off according to some users. My Colorware HD800s have no paint issues after having owned them for about 2 years now.

Hmmm I swear I remember reading back in the day that it void the warranty. I'll have to look into it.

Maybe buy a used one and then send it for colorware and save some cash?

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #9,807 of 29,013
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577731/custom-colored-hd-800/135#post_8606496

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #9,808 of 29,013
  Thanks for the read, I will probably end up picking up that tube amp and calling it for a decade when it comes to headphones. Hopefully one day a closed headphone will be produced that will have this type of clarity and openness. From a fundamental design standpoint it may never happen, but one can only hope. 

Thanks again. 

No problem, remember to order the "full music" tubes, they are available from icon when you order or from the internet. It's supposed to be quite an upgrade.

Hmmm I swear I remember reading back in the day that it void the warranty. I'll have to look into it.

Maybe buy a used one and then send it for colorware and save some cash?

I think you're worrying waaaaaaay too much about the warranty. HD800's do not break, you can drop them and at most you'll have a paint chip. They are very well engineered and manufactured.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #9,810 of 29,013
Thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to be sure about the build as this time around I'm looking for a headphone that can last me for several years (Also, my planars breaking down only made me more cautious).

I think I will eventually get mine colorwared. Just have to decide on the colours as well as matte vs. glossy finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back