The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #7,786 of 29,017
There is some recent talk of coloration.  I would say the HD800 is the least colored headphone I've come across.  Have you come across less colored headphones?  Stax?  AKG? 

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #7,787 of 29,017
i would agree the HD 800 is one of the least colored headphones i've heard. but largely amp/source dependent.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #7,788 of 29,017
  i would agree the HD 800 is one of the least colored headphones i've heard. but largely amp/source dependent.

There is some recent talk of coloration.  I would say the HD800 is the least colored headphone I've come across.  Have you come across less colored headphones?  Stax?  AKG? 

I agree, In my review I even called the HD800 "perhaps the world's most transparent headphone". At least I've never heard one that has less coloration.

The only one I can imagine which would compete is the Stax... but I haven't head that one. It's a bit on the pricy side...

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #7,789 of 29,017
The hD800 is a fantastic headphone and if you call transparency colored well then its colored big time. LOL I think it is  a headphone that let you hear everything in the recording accurately.  It my go to headphone for reviews becauseIcan easily hear every change I make in the chain.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #7,790 of 29,017
  The hD800 is a fantastic headphone and if you call transparency colored well then its colored big time. LOL I think it is  a headphone that let you hear everything in the recording accurately.  It my go to headphone for reviews becauseIcan easily hear every change I make in the chain.

+1
If people are hearing "coloration" with the HD800 -whatever their interpretation of this maybe - it's the source, the DAC, the amp and all the voodoo cables in between but it's highly unlikely the headphone. Same with the "piercing treble". A recording mixed to sound good on average loudspeakers can sound pretty harsh on something that is revealing as the HD800. How's that old saying "Brown stuff in, brown stuff out" ?  :wink:))).

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #7,791 of 29,017
But they do have an emphasized treble (defo not piercing though!) and that's a colouration. I've never found it bothersome at all but I can still hear it. And I'm not going to pretend that its not there. 
biggrin.gif

Amps/source will always be a factor with colouration and some amps will mask the peaks. But the ones that do mask it are the more coloured ones.  

Anyways, who wants a world without colour! :D

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #7,792 of 29,017
Whenever I have a chance to visit live concerts I do so. Preferably acoustic Jazz in smaller clubs.  As I also like to photograph when allowed w/o flash, I squeeze in the front row. So piano and drum kit with cymbals are something that I hear live and close up on a regular basis. And also acoustic double bass for that matter.

I for sure don't have absolute hearing, nor am I a musician but for me hard hit cymbals either with a wooden drum stick (e.g. Vic Firth) or a metal brush, do have a some "natural" aggressiveness to them. For me the HD800 is able to reproduce this quite realistically and I do not feel that there is anything wrong with the presentation. For me it is as close to the original sound as possible.
Especially the reverb of the edge that slows down in a characteristic way is pretty difficult and things can get mushy very easily, not so with the HD800. I like it a lot but that just my personal impression which obviously differs from a lot of people :wink:).

... and of course no one wants a world w/o color ( I shoot black & white though ) but it needs to be just the same color, that's the point :wink:.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #7,793 of 29,017
I thought the HD650 captured drum kit hi hats and cymbals in the correct amplitude - although definition is somewhat poor compared to the HD800.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #7,795 of 29,017
Whenever I have a chance to visit live concerts I do so. Preferably acoustic Jazz in smaller clubs.  As I also like to photograph when allowed w/o flash, I squeeze in the front row. So piano and drum kit with cymbals are something that I hear live and close up on a regular basis. And also acoustic double bass for that matter.

I for sure don't have absolute hearing, nor am I a musician but for me hard hit cymbals either with a wooden drum stick (e.g. Vic Firth) or a metal brush, do have a some "natural" aggressiveness to them. For me the HD800 is able to reproduce this quite realistically and I do not feel that there is anything wrong with the presentation. For me it is as close to the original sound as possible.
Especially the reverb of the edge that slows down in a characteristic way is pretty difficult and things can get mushy very easily, not so with the HD800. I like it a lot but that just my personal impression which obviously differs from a lot of people :wink:).

... and of course no one wants a world w/o color ( I shoot black & white though ) but it needs to be just the same color, that's the point :wink:.
This is very similar to my experiences with live music , I find drums to be particularly unpleasant if I'm not in the mood. In fact sometimes hi hats and cymbals are just too much and kinda make me blink! The HD800s never do that but I still only listen to them when I really want to get into the music and appreciate every detail. For casual listening I always reach for the 650s.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #7,796 of 29,017
Maybe it comes down to the way we listen at home, in our comfy chairs , in a quiet room with headphones on. It's not very natural to suddenly have a live band playing all around you in this place. When you are out with friends in a noisy social atmosphere your mind set is far different and more willing to accept the music in its purest , rawest form.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #7,797 of 29,017

+1
If people are hearing "coloration" with the HD800 -whatever their interpretation of this maybe - it's the source, the DAC, the amp and all the voodoo cables in between but it's highly unlikely the headphone. Same with the "piercing treble". A recording mixed to sound good on average loudspeakers can sound pretty harsh on something that is revealing as the HD800. How's that old saying "Brown stuff in, brown stuff out" ?  :wink:))).

Exactly. The HD800 let you hear differences in equipment clearly. Cable changes are noticeable as well as the source and amplifiers playing the music back.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #7,798 of 29,017
Exactly. The HD800 let you hear differences in equipment clearly. Cable changes are noticeable as well as the source and amplifiers playing the music back.

Agree. This is something I've seen stated a lot, but it wasn't until I got the HE-6 (again) recently and the HD800 that I really understood this. It's difficult to appreciate this on headphones without this degree if transparency and resolution.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #7,799 of 29,017
I disagree with the view that the shrill treble on the HD800s is a product of the recordings that are fed into it, for two reasons.

First, my speakers have a flat frequency response curve. When I listen to most recordings on them, it sounds like live music. Less so the HD800, unless I EQ it to reduce the treble.

Second, if you compare the frequency response curve for the HD600 vs the HD800, you'll see that the latter is much louder through the mid-treble frequencies. My experience with the HD600, as well as every review of it I've read, is that it's extremely neutral, albeit somewhat lacking in speed and detail. I have a hard time believing that the HD800 is curing a defect of the HD600 in this respect. In any case, my ears side with the HD600 response, and even more with the HD800 tuned to match its predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back