The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #7,771 of 29,017
I gave the HD800s the most chances of any headphone,  I even knew to keep the volumes very, very low...But alas, they were not for me - even at the lowest of volumes, after extended listening - they were somewhat sickening to me - that treble that is. 

I don't know who generated the myth that Audeze is not good at low volume or that they are lacking in dynamics, yeah - but lots of rubbish floating around at head-fi at the moment.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #7,772 of 29,017
I gave the HD800s the most chances of any headphone,  I even knew to keep the volumes very, very low...But alas, they were not for me - even at the lowest of volumes, after extended listening - they were somewhat sickening to me - that treble that is. 

I don't know who generated the myth that Audeze is not good at low volume or that they are lacking in dynamics, yeah - but lots of rubbish floating around at head-fi at the moment.

+1

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #7,773 of 29,017

i agree. 

but i think planars do sound better louder. and i never listen to headphones with volume low. they dont sound as good to me.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #7,774 of 29,017
I almost returned my HD800s over that sickening effect of extended exposure to its treble, but EQing the 6khz-10khz band down 3-6 decibels (which brings it much closer to the HD600 curve) solves the problem for me.  Without the EQ fix, I would much rather listen to my PX-100s.  In the HD800's default presentation, it's like a supermodel in a fat suit.  I think the characterization of the HD800 as an unforgiving microscope into the true nature of its source assumes that the soundstage/instrumentation advantages of the ring driver go hand in hand with the hyped treble, but they certainly don't have to.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #7,775 of 29,017
I must be in the minority cuz I don't find the HD800 treble bothersome at all.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #7,776 of 29,017
  I must be in the minority cuz I don't find the HD800 treble bothersome at all.

Same here. There are some recordings that I find the HD800's treble too piercing, but for more than 90% of the time I don't have any trouble with HD800's treble.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #7,777 of 29,017

Same here. There are some recordings that I find the HD800's treble too piercing, but for more than 90% of the time I don't have any trouble with HD800's treble.

+1

I was getting the parts ready to do the mod too but didn't find that it was needed.  Maybe, i will try the mod later and see if it would be an improvement.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #7,778 of 29,017
I think youncan get used to the treble but it is still more than neutral with most recordings. I prefer the frequency balance of the Anax mod (original version) but I find the sound a little veiled and muddled relative to what I am used to, which is the version 2 mod.

You can definately get used to the amount of treble, and with good equipment, and the mods I use its definitely not bothersome, but it holds the headphone back from being totally transparent and neutral.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #7,779 of 29,017
  I almost returned my HD800s over that sickening effect of extended exposure to its treble, but EQing the 6khz-10khz band down 3-6 decibels (which brings it much closer to the HD600 curve) solves the problem for me.  Without the EQ fix, I would much rather listen to my PX-100s.  In the HD800's default presentation, it's like a supermodel in a fat suit.  I think the characterization of the HD800 as an unforgiving microscope into the true nature of its source assumes that the soundstage/instrumentation advantages of the ring driver go hand in hand with the hyped treble, but they certainly don't have to.

Yeah, I play with EQ a lot.  That is how I confirm how a particular headphones technical capabilities.  Other than the HD800 treble peak (which people mod to improve) it is undeniably amongst the top heap in headphones period - if the treble is a non issue for some, that is great news.  Otherwise an EQ would be the only other acceptable way to neutralise that treble.

As standard though, there is no evidence to suggest that the HD800 is free from coloration.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #7,780 of 29,017
  I listen at fairly low volumes with the HD800-it's far better for this than perhaps any other headphone I've heard actually-another reason I favor it. I could even claim it's the low-distortion that allows this. :wink: Just the opposite from the T1 and LCD 2.2s imo where the Beyer doesn't come into it's own until it gets fairly loud imo, and the LCDs simply don't have the dynamics which lends to cranking those too. YMMV.

-Daniel

Me too. The only time I find them fatiguing is when they are cranked up. It's easy to get addicted to higher volume with these because you know what they are capable of. But restraint is the key ha! 

LCD's simply don't have the dynamics compared to the Senn's. All planars don't :D 

I found the LCD2 great at low volume. The bass impact stayed the same at low or high volume.

Yeah, I play with EQ a lot.  That is how I confirm how a particular headphones technical capabilities.  Other than the HD800 treble peak (which people mod to improve) it is undeniably amongst the top heap in headphones period - if the treble is a non issue for some, that is great news.  Otherwise an EQ would be the only other acceptable way to neutralise that treble.

As standard though, there is no evidence to suggest that the HD800 is free from coloration.

Absolutely. They are coloured and that is plain to hear and see with graphs etc. However, a headphone can be coloured but still very transparent imo. After all, there is no such thing as an uncoloured hp or speaker for that matter. Without getting into science territory - its a fine line of both subjective hearing and supposed objective measurements to state that a headphone leans towards neutrality. I hear colour at both ends of the spectrum with the HD800, more so at the top though and the measurements back this up. But I would also say that it is coloured to please the ears. As opposed to lay bare music for mixing. I use EQ on other headphones (AKG, Grado) but I've never needed to with the HD800. I've always found them more musical rather than analytical, despite their revealing nature. I do use warmer amps though as the transparent nature of this beast can make or break em.      

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #7,781 of 29,017

I agree, don't be afraid to EQ your HD800's.

I think many people spend thousands of dollars on cables and amps to get the sound they want when all that's really needed is a gentle nudge with an EQ.

You can have a lot of fun with it too, give it a +3-5 dB bass boost and this is a bass-heads dream! Those big membranes really come alive and listening to massive attack or magnetic man becomes a head-shaking experience.

Headphones that are normally considered bass-head headphones (Sony XB1000, Ultrasone Pro900) got nothing on the HD800 with a +3-5dB bass boost. It is TIGHT and it is DEEP.

Just for the record - I'm not really bass-head, I like neutral. But it can be done, and it's fun to play with.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #7,783 of 29,017
I agree, don't be afraid to EQ your HD800's.

+1
2 or 3db deep bass boost and the HD800 will give you the best music experience you can get out of a headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #7,784 of 29,017
  +1

I was getting the parts ready to do the mod too but didn't find that it was needed.  Maybe, i will try the mod later and see if it would be an improvement.

Not needed for me.  I tried two different HD800s that had that Anax mod on them.  Both did not sound like the HD800s I know.  However, on my pair I did get them hardwired with a SAA Endorphin Cable.  This the only mod I'm doing.  Sound more refined than the stock pair but keeps what the HD800s are know for..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back