The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #7,756 of 29,017
  Indeed great review, sums it up pretty accurately.
I have the exact same impressions although I can comment on the amp part.
Currently I have hooked the HD800 directly to my e20 DAC.
It's hard to imagine that it will be even better when driven balanced with a GS-XMkII ....waiting..... waiting ..... waiting.
rolleyes.gif

I really think that the good combo can be found with amp or dac or dac+ amp.. There're many possible way to find the good combination. The point is that finding the good combo needs time and money.  Too many owners didn't take enough time with their HD800.

HD800 is for persevering people.  

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #7,757 of 29,017
Great review. I fully agree with you and my experience with HD800 is exactly the same. 

Spot- on!

This has been my thoughts and experience in the short time that I have had them. I was deciding between these and the two Fostex TH models. While the Fostex sounded sweet at the time, I thought in the back of my mind at the time that the HD800 had so much more potential with the right tweaking. So much more I want to say but I have a hockey game to attend to. More to say later but I am extremely happy with my decision and privileged to be a part of this group. I hope to learn so much more from you guys. Especially on what tubes I could roll with my dac and amp to get the most out of my HD800.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #7,758 of 29,017

That was a good review!

I for one think the 800's picky, sensitive ways as to whats in the chain is great!

It brings me to the edge of my seat when I upgrade or swap out this or that. 

You never know how it will agree or disagree to what you've done and I think that is pretty neat.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #7,759 of 29,017
  One more review in case anyone's interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-headphones/reviews/10337

terrific review.  mirrors my sentiments exactly.
Im so glad I got the hd800 it really is growing on me.  
I was 99% of the way there to ordering a HE6/EF6 combo during Black Friday, I think I would of been happy with that too but really like the comfort of these versus the orthos.
I'm finding it harder to listen to my other headphones now.  I think the hd800 might be the one phone to rule them all!  I might start culling some of my other headphones.

the thing Im researching is getting rid of any desktop amps and dacs and going all portable where its just a usb dac/amp and laptop, I been using the dragonfly dac more often then desktop rig.  anyone know of anything usb dac/amp that is up to snuff or is this still dreaming?

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #7,760 of 29,017
  terrific review.  mirrors my sentiments exactly.
Im so glad I got the hd800 it really is growing on me.  
I was 99% of the way there to ordering a HE6/EF6 combo during Black Friday, I think I would of been happy with that too but really like the comfort of these versus the orthos.
I'm finding it harder to listen to my other headphones now.  I think the hd800 might be the one phone to rule them all!  I might start culling some of my other headphones.

the thing Im researching is getting rid of any desktop amps and dacs and going all portable where its just a usb dac/amp and laptop, I been using the dragonfly dac more often then desktop rig.  anyone know of anything usb dac/amp that is up to snuff or is this still dreaming?

This here could be interesting if you want to keep it compact and as one single integrated USB/DAC/AMP combo:

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/meridian-explorer-usb-dac/

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #7,761 of 29,017

They certainly are a pair of phones that keep surprising with each upgrade. I am finding I don't want to upgrade, but I also want to see how far I can push them, as the saying goes 'welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet'.

... I wasn't aware of that second part of the greeting and when I realized this, it was already too late :wink:))).
But I don't really mind too much, it's for the greater good of HiFi !

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #7,762 of 29,017
Could anyone give me more information on the extended warranty (10 years!?!)? Is this only available if purchased from specific dealers? How is it different from the standard 2 year warranty (except duration 
bigsmile_face.gif
)?

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #7,763 of 29,017

It certainly doesn't sound faster to me. There is more bloom across the frequency band with the T1s. The HD800s/SR-009s are the quickest two headphones I've heard/owned. Just for the record, I owned my T1s for about 2.5 years (owned the first pair sold here in Canada in Jan. 2010) and really enjoyed them (amps included: MAD Ear+HD, Concerto, GS-1, GS-X, Liquid Fire, WA2, WA22 and GS-X Mk2). And on all these amps (and DACs that have come and gone), the HD800s were the quicker of the two (by a reasonable margin).

As mentioned, the objective waterfall measurements also show the HD800s as "quicker" (and in-line with my experiences). What front end rig are you using?

There is for all intent and purpose, very little difference in transient attack capabilities between these two...I'll even throw my D7000s in the mix.  The broadband bloom in the T1 comes from the cups...the T1 as well as my D7000s are not true open cans and will always have a cup coloration.  The T1 coloration, for me is very acceptable and adds to its good tone - I can imagine the T1 bloom might interfere with some individuals own ear resonance and might be problematic.  For me, it is less problematic than the HD800s white hot treble "bloom".

I am certain many people interpret these same "blooms" as part of the soundstage...I just hear some kind of bloom.  Remember the K701 has a narrow band bloom in the upper mids of much higher intensity than than the T1's broadband less intense bloom - this is why some can relate the K701 to the T1s.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #7,764 of 29,017
  Could anyone give me more information on the extended warranty (10 years!?!)? Is this only available if purchased from specific dealers? How is it different from the standard 2 year warranty (except duration 
bigsmile_face.gif
)?

10 year extended warranty - what are you talking about ?
But if you do find out, please post here, I'm sure everyone will be interested ....

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #7,765 of 29,017

10 year extended warranty - what are you talking about ?
But if you do find out, please post here, I'm sure everyone will be interested ....

Apparently if you register your HD800 at: http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/club-orpheus-registration and bought the HD800 from an authorised UK dealer, Sennheiser sends you an email saying that you have a 10 year extended warranty.

Some UK dealers also mention a 10 year extended warranty:

- http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/sennheiser-hd800-open-back-headphones-hd-800-audiophile-prodid-4538.html
  [also mentioned in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/654416/sennheiser-hd800-new-product-announcement#post_9235760 ]

- http://www.audiovenue-shop.co.uk/details.asp?id=465&type=Products

Anyone else heard anything about this?

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #7,767 of 29,017
10 year warranty is pretty cool and it doesn't mention additional cost. Correct ?
Lucky UK customers !

In the US you can extend the standard 2 year warranty
+1 year (total 3 years) at $243.99
+3 years (total 5 years) at $349.99
If you are a warranty junkie, then the +3 years seems to be a better deal. I did not choose any extension.

But for me the 10 year UK warranty indicates that Sennheiser is pretty confident about their manufacturing standards.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #7,768 of 29,017
  10 year warranty is pretty cool and it doesn't mention additional cost. Correct ?
Lucky UK customers !

In the US you can extend the standard 2 year warranty
+1 year (total 3 years) at $243.99
+3 years (total 5 years) at $349.99
If you are a warranty junkie, then the +3 years seems to be a better deal. I did not choose any extension.

But for me the 10 year UK warranty indicates that Sennheiser is pretty confident about their manufacturing standards.

From what I can tell the catch is that you have to buy from an authorised UK dealer and they normally sell at close to retail i.e. £1000 or $1650.

You can find the HD800 for a much better price on Amazon (in continental Europe at least) i.e. somewhere between 900-1000 EUR or £740 to £820 and as far as I can tell these don't qualify for the 10 year warranty. 

Also I'm not sure if the 10 year warranty is transferrable (I read the standard 2 year warranty is transferrable though). 

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #7,769 of 29,017
Was doing a random reading, and something really catches my attention. A paragraph from 6moons' review of HD800 states "
Sennheiser then issues a very real warning: Due to uncommonly low distortion from these headphones, you're liable to listen far louder than usual. It's very true. If you treasure your hearing and mean to avoid fatigue, don't."

Guess I'd have to start looking after how loud my music really is.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #7,770 of 29,017
I listen at fairly low volumes with the HD800-it's far better for this than perhaps any other headphone I've heard actually-another reason I favor it. I could even claim it's the low-distortion that allows this. :wink: Just the opposite from the T1 and LCD 2.2s imo where the Beyer doesn't come into it's own until it gets fairly loud imo, and the LCDs simply don't have the dynamics which lends to cranking those too. YMMV.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back