The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #19,861 of 29,010

That's actually a very good dac. With regard to suggestions in your price range:

1. The mjo2 looks to be a promising amp but it's too new and the original was not very good with the hd800, so that would likely be a pass. 

2. I've used the wa2 with the 800 and found it pretty good but about on par with the BHC w/sb. Plus it thought the wa22 was much better. Finally you already said that you tried the BHC and that it didn't work for you. 

3. As far as treble tamers for $10 you can perform THE mod and get appreciably smoother treble, which is a lot cheaper than some of these other solutions. This is a mod any moron can do, even me. If you are look for more warmth throughout the spectrum for the 800, then that changes things. Here is a wildcard choice that will give you both: Questyle cma800r. This current mode amp makes the treble velvety smooth but retains the detail, plus adds overall warmth. It's a great pairing and one of my favorites. 

4. The ecp L2 amp is a great choice and you can find it for around your budget if you can catch it used.  It's an end game amp IMO. http://www.ecpaudio.com/L2.shtml

5. On a budget the Vallhalla 2 with stock tubes is pretty damn good. Don't overlook it because of the cheap price. Very resolving for an OTL amp. Renders subtle details beautifully. 

6. Finally, another wildcard choice...a vintage 60's-70's receiver. Many here will turn up there noses at this choice. But there are many vintage receivers that pair amazingly well with the 800. The Fisher 500c remains one of the top three pairings that heard with the 800 ever. Without any budget constraints whatsoever. There is a dedicated thread for the vintage receivers here on HF. Plus Oregonian just picked up the 800 and is a big vintage guy and I'm sure that he could help.

Good luck, kindly,

Matt

I second Matt's recommendation on vintage amps/receivers.  Heard it out of my Pioneer SX-1050 and Spec 1 & 2 (preamp/amp setup from their top of the line products in the late '70's) and absolutely love the sound.  Where I had read the 800 was bass light, out of these vintage speaker amps the bass is incredible.  As is the entire sound signature............

Oh, and the pricing is very doable - paid $400 for the SX-1050 and $280 for the Spec stack (rare find - being at the right place at the right time- the Spec rack systems typically sell for upwards of $2K).

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #19,862 of 29,010
  Here is a wildcard choice that will give you both: Questyle cma800r. This current mode amp makes the treble velvety smooth but retains the detail, plus adds overall warmth. It's a great pairing and one of my favorites. 

4. The ecp L2 amp is a great choice and you can find it for around your budget if you can catch it used.  It's an end game amp IMO. http://www.ecpaudio.com/L2.shtml

5. On a budget the Vallhalla 2 with stock tubes is pretty damn good. Don't overlook it because of the cheap price. Very resolving for an OTL amp. Renders subtle details beautifully. 

Seems there is no place to buy a Questyle CMA800r at the moment.
Ditto for the ECP L2.

I read several posts saying the Mjolnir 2 at $850 doesn't pair well with the HD800 from several posters on this thread.
So the Valhalla 2 at $350 is supposed to do better?

I'm still in the state of mind where higher $$$ = better all around quality.

Like a the $350 Gustard H10 is supposed to be a exact Chinese clone of the $1,100 Violectric V200, but a lot of posts I read said the Gustard H10 doesn't pair well at all with the HD800, while everyone recommended the V200.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #19,863 of 29,010

That's actually a very good dac. With regard to suggestions in your price range:

1. The mjo2 looks to be a promising amp but it's too new and the original was not very good with the hd800, so that would likely be a pass. 

2. I've used the wa2 with the 800 and found it pretty good but about on par with the BHC w/sb. Plus it thought the wa22 was much better. Finally you already said that you tried the BHC and that it didn't work for you. 

3. As far as treble tamers for $10 you can perform THE mod and get appreciably smoother treble, which is a lot cheaper than some of these other solutions. This is a mod any moron can do, even me. If you are look for more warmth throughout the spectrum for the 800, then that changes things. Here is a wildcard choice that will give you both: Questyle cma800r. This current mode amp makes the treble velvety smooth but retains the detail, plus adds overall warmth. It's a great pairing and one of my favorites. 

6. Finally, another wildcard choice...a vintage 60's-70's receiver. Many here will turn up there noses at this choice. But there are many vintage receivers that pair amazingly well with the 800. The Fisher 500c remains one of the top three pairings that heard with the 800 ever. Without any budget constraints whatsoever. There is a dedicated thread for the vintage receivers here on HF. Plus Oregonian just picked up the 800 and is a big vintage guy and I'm sure that he could help.

Good luck, kindly,

Matt

Thought I might add that from what I understand the Dsavitsk ECP L2 linage is directly derived from the Gary Dahi Espressivo Amplifier.

Dsavitsk made a version of the amp that didn't use the expensive and exotic parts of the Espressivo this was christened the Less-pressivo as it cost less the L2 was a abbreviation it seems for commercial reasons. The current Dsavitsk Torpedo kit is essentially the L2 amp I believe but designed to be pcb based for DIY builders.

There is a new version Torpedo III due to be launched soon which is rumoured to have summit fi potential.

The current Torpedo kit is currently $325 so well in budget some good info about for options for tubes capacitors to tweak the sound signature perhaps there are a few Torpedo HD800 users about that might comment.

ttp://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=153

http://www.diyforums.org/Torpedo/TORPEDOhistory.php

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #19,864 of 29,010
  I've had the HD 800s for 5 or 6 years, and although they are not perfect, they are still the headphone all others have to live up to. I like different flavours in sound also greatly enjoy Hifiman's HE-560s and Ultrasones Signature Pros, as well as Stax Lambda Pros. Much has been written about the pros and cons of different amps and sources. I run my HD 800s off either an Oppo HA-1 or Meier Audio's Corda Concerto with the Oppo 105D as source. To be honest, I can't really hear any difference in the sound between the 2 amps. Nevertheless, I am curious to hear some honest opinions from you people who maybe do own more exotic amps that cost as much as the cans themselves, how dramatic the improvements in sound have been? I note that Moonhead is using a modest little Superlux amp which he preferred to the Questyle he once owned! 
   The common wisdom here seems to be that the HD 800s need a lot of investment in amplification etc to reach their full potential. In the search for ultimate sound, I have been looking at the likes of the Schiit Ragnarok, Auralic Taurus and GD Audio Master 9 which are well regarded here. I have no opportunity to audition them here unfortunately. Am I failing to experience the HD 800s full potential with my present equipment? They sound pretty damn good already! 

I use EQ. Just about every amp sounds terrific. But I guess that is not the goal for many is it?.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #19,865 of 29,010
  I use EQ. Just about every amp sounds terrific. But I guess that is not the goal for many is it?

Equalizing is boring. And too cheap a solution.
wink.gif
Imagine everyone would do it! 
blink.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #19,866 of 29,010

Equalizing is boring. And too cheap a solution.
wink.gif
Imagine everyone would do it! 
blink.gif

Very boring and audiophile unworthy :).

Virtually every recording ever made has used EQ.  Why should I miss out?

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #19,868 of 29,010

Seems there is no place to buy a Questyle CMA800r at the moment.
Ditto for the ECP L2.

I read several posts saying the Mjolnir 2 at $850 doesn't pair well with the HD800 from several posters on this thread.

I'm still in the state of mind where higher $$$ = better all around quality.

Like a the $350 Gustard H10 is supposed to be a exact Chinese clone of the $1,100 Violectric V200, but a lot of posts I read said the Gustard H10 doesn't pair well at all with the HD800, while everyone recommended the V200.

There's  pretty much nobody (without any potential vested interests) who has heard a large variety of recommended amps with the HD800 that still recommends the V200.

Stop being in the state of mind where more money leads to better sound quality. It's that simple - just stop. It's not true. That's the very mindset that allows companies to produce sub-par products, heavily mark them up and allow the confirmation bias of audiophools to do the marketing for them.

I own both the Valhalla 2 and the H10. If you're spending $350 to try and get the best out of your HD800's, then the Valhalla 2 is undoubtedly the better option. If you're using a variety of headphones with different power requirements, then the H10 is a better option (the Valhalla 2 is designed specifically to excel with high impedance headphones, while the H10 is designed to be able to adequately drive everything).

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #19,869 of 29,010

I have scoured this and other forums looking for credible impressions of how the Mjolnir 2 fares with the HD800 and nowhere have I read that it doesn't pair well. Care to point out the "several posts" that proclaim it as a poor pairing?

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #19,870 of 29,010
I have owned both Mjolnir and Questyle and Schiit is very poorly design amp with somewhat lose buttons especially when adjusting Volume and it was Way to Bright to be considered natural, very ethcy and bad parring with both HD800 & HE6, Should be great with Audeze thought!

Questyle is one solid tank AMP that screams quality in every Way with a very smooth volume control that makes the Schiit prdouct look like a joke!
Pairs excellent with HD800 solid low bass and smooth non fatiguing treble, I only sold mine because I got the Stax itch.

If there is a Mjolnir2 I haven't listen to it or care for it, Mjolnir & Questyle are as opposite as can be!

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #19,871 of 29,010

There's  pretty much nobody (without any potential vested interests) who has heard a large variety of recommended amps with the HD800 that still recommends the V200.
  I own both the Valhalla 2 and the H10. If you're spending $350 to try and get the best out of your HD800's, then the Valhalla 2 is undoubtedly the better option. If you're using a variety of headphones with different power requirements, then the H10 is a better option (the Valhalla 2 is designed specifically to excel with high impedance headphones, while the H10 is designed to be able to adequately drive everything).

Seems the V200 was the most talked about 5+ years ago in this thread & then people started talking about the Vahalla 2 as the go to amp in the recent years.

I have scoured this and other forums looking for credible impressions of how the Mjolnir 2 fares with the HD800 and nowhere have I read that it doesn't pair well. Care to point out the "several posts" that proclaim it as a poor pairing?

I am writing down any & every post/quote from this thread that reviewed or compared any amps worth mentioning to try & narrow it down..
(didn't write down the names of the people who made these quotes though)

Negative Mjolnir quotes:

"Mjolnir - Sound signature where beyond neutral and overly bright in the treble, IMO."

"That amp just looks, feels and sounds like a joke compering it to Questyle, IMO"

"havnet tried Valhalla, but Mjolnir/Gungnir is a Hugh pile of crap with HD800.. Way way to bright to even be considered neutral"

ranked 5th in a list - "Schiit Mjolnir (too aggressive for my taste)"

"VI+ doesnt have a fat bassy sound like say the V200, it's a bit thinner and more neutral sounding, but mjolnir sounds too thin for me, quite an anemic bass"

"I heard slightly bright to piercing sound from the following amps: (amongst a list)
...Schiit Mjolnir"

"Poor Matches: (amongst a list)
...Schiit Mjolnir (fatiguing)"

Positive Mjolnir quotes:

"I prefer the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir has way more slam than the GSX2, more than anything else - perhaps only beaten by the Dynahi.
Mjolnir has way better macrodynamics and is rather amazing in the microdynamics - probably has something to do with the cybertron output stage."

"Mjolnir vs ifi micro
-Right off the bat, the bass really stood out to me as being better in basically every way
-The Mojolnir turned the HD800s into head subwoofers while the iFi was much hazier and not as deep. The treble was clearer/less fuzzy than my iFi.
-greater differences between high and low volume material (macrodynamics). It's especially noticeable on more compressed recordings. Modern pop songs sound like they're entirely at the same volume and have absolutely no depth with the iFi,
but the Mojo brings out the small amount of dynamics and depth that are there.
-The iFi sounded bright and harsh. Songs that were bass monsters with the Mojo had one-note, thin bass on the iFi."

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #19,872 of 29,010
Those are comments about the original Mjolnir. There is a newly released Mjolnir 2, which is a balanced tube amp (that can also utilise Schiit's new solid state tubes). The original Mjolnir was purely solid state.

Mj2 impressions here - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/complete-schiitshow#LtUH7d5o6rVJyLZu.97

...and on another forum that cannot be named here.

I've owned the original Mjolnir and did not find it to be a terrible match for the HD800 - once I got my dac right.

I've also owned the Schiit Ragnarok which has amazing clarity and a smoothness in the upper registers that matches very well with the HD800.

The article I linked to above states that the Mj2 is a clear improvement on the first MJ and is closer to the Ragnarok than it is to its original iteration.

Seems like a fine mid-tier amp to me.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #19,873 of 29,010
Well thats a different story then as the new design incl. tubes which could be a good thing, a lot of people swear to valve amps with HD800. 
Just sad they feel so flimsy and cheaply made. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #19,874 of 29,010
Actually for me, the original reason that I bought HD800 about two years ago, was after hearing it with schiit mjolnir at my local store. I realized how this headphone could do, great staging, warm mids and the bass was so satisfying. The overall presentation was a bit too forward for my taste, but pairing it with a laid back source, I supposed it would be nice.

Looking forward to audition the new mjolnir ...

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #19,875 of 29,010
Those are comments about the original Mjolnir. There is a newly released Mjolnir 2, which is a balanced tube amp (that can also utilise Schiit's new solid state tubes). The original Mjolnir was purely solid state.

Mj2 impressions here - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/complete-schiitshow#LtUH7d5o6rVJyLZu.97

...and on another forum that cannot be named here.

I've owned the original Mjolnir and did not find it to be a terrible match for the HD800 - once I got my dac right.

I've also owned the Schiit Ragnarok which has amazing clarity and a smoothness in the upper registers that matches very well with the HD800.

The article I linked to above states that the Mj2 is a clear improvement on the first MJ and is closer to the Ragnarok than it is to its original iteration.

Seems like a fine mid-tier amp to me.

I've only communicated with one guy who has heard the mjo2 with the hd800 in person. He said that if you didn't like the original mjo with the 800 (and I didn't) then you probably wouldn't like it with the new mjo. The signature of the amp, according to him, was still very similar. Of course tubes would play a big part or at least they should. 

Keep in mind a few things. This is just one guys opinion and I haven't heard the amp. Also I like the hd800 and I'd very much like to order the mjo 2 as it fits so many of my criteria. So yes, I'm a huge schiit fan. I'll have to wait to get more opinions though. 

@Moonhead ...poor quality on Schiit amps. 
blink.gif
  Seriously? Or was that a joke based on the tank like build quality of their products. Surely it was a joke. I own the Questyle and many Schiit amps and just bought the Gungnir MB. They have all, each and every one that I've owned been incredibly well built. Questle is good also but I'd still rank that Schiit builds better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back