The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #19,876 of 28,992
I had the hd800 and mjolnir a few years ago and really liked it. That was my main amp for them and found them to be nice. The build quality was solid similar to their other products. I can agree that the amp had a slight brightness but I didn't find it overbearing. The mjolnir 2 would be worth an audition for me. I already found my amp so won't be in the market for it.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #19,877 of 28,992
The newly bought Mjolnir I've owned came with scratches poor assembly in corners and every button felt lose and of very poor quality, as I said next to Questyle was like compering a Fiat to a Ferrari :wink:
Schiit products a way to hyped, IMHO!

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #19,878 of 28,992
I just heard the EL8, and I think it's a great headphones to go with HD800. It's quite musical, which is different from HD800(not to say that HD800s aren't freakin amazing). I almost spent a whole month's salary on an amp and EL8(open back) impulsively. It was scary.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #19,880 of 28,992
  I just heard the EL8, and I think it's a great headphones to go with HD800. It's quite musical, which is different from HD800(not to say that HD800s aren't freakin amazing). I almost spent a whole month's salary on an amp and EL8(open back) impulsively. It was scary.

I have the HD800 for home listening and EL-8C (closed) for mobile listening. I think they compliment each other fairly well.  

The EL-8Cs are a bit lacking in treble extension and miss some of the HD800's clarity. The EL-8C has a surprisingly wide soundstage.  Overall, a good compromise since I listen to EL-8Cs in less than perfect environments where the high-end and clarity will be affected anyways.

After buying the HD800s, I sold my Hifiman HE-560s. I rated their sound somewhere in-between the HD800 and EL-8C.     

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #19,881 of 28,992
  So...would you people say that the HD800 are the most Analytical headphones, most studio monitor like? (Analytical in a good way of course...)

I would say if you wanted to analyze the music or breakdown what one instrument is playing you can. Of course I don't know if this is something that is wanted (or not wanted) in studio applications since that's not something I've done before. 

For me it's a mostly neutral headphone where nothing stands out too much. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #19,882 of 28,992

I have the HD800 for home listening and EL-8C (closed) for mobile listening. I think they compliment each other fairly well.  

The EL-8Cs are a bit lacking in treble extension and miss some of the HD800's clarity. The EL-8C has a surprisingly wide soundstage.  Overall, a good compromise since I listen to EL-8Cs in less than perfect environments where the high-end and clarity will be affected anyways.

After buying the HD800s, I sold my Hifiman HE-560s. I rated their sound somewhere in-between the HD800 and EL-8C.     

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on either the EL-8 closed or open. They were both pretty damn impressive. It's a different kind of enjoyable sound compared to the 800. I never thought a portable headphone could pull off such wide sound.

It's definitely not as resolving or clear as HD800, but no headphones are, unless you get a pair of Stax or something.

I really want a pair. Too bad I get paid minimum wage.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #19,883 of 28,992
  So...would you people say that the HD800 are the most Analytical headphones, most studio monitor like? (Analytical in a good way of course...)

To me, yes, the HD800's are EXTREMELY analytical headphones. This is not a positive or negative quality, it just depends what you're looking for.

I personally have found four headphones that complement each other perfectly for my tastes and various applications: HD800's, LCD-X's, HD650's and DT250's.

Now, all that's left is perfecting the signal chain for these headphones. I believe I'll have it close to perfect with the Schiit Gungnir Multibit + Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Audiolab M-DAC + Schiit Valhalla 2.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #19,885 of 28,992
Schiit is over hyped and the EL8's are good. I'm just going to have to go ahead and completely disagree... As for the 800's, very resolving and detailed. Fairly neutral- they do a fine job of highlighting the good or bad of the source and gear that feeds them.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #19,886 of 28,992

Seems there is no place to buy a Questyle CMA800r at the moment.
Ditto for the ECP L2.

I read several posts saying the Mjolnir 2 at $850 doesn't pair well with the HD800 from several posters on this thread.
So the Valhalla 2 at $350 is supposed to do better?

I'm still in the state of mind where higher $$$ = better all around quality.

Like a the $350 Gustard H10 is supposed to be a exact Chinese clone of the $1,100 Violectric V200, but a lot of posts I read said the Gustard H10 doesn't pair well at all with the HD800, while everyone recommended the V200.

There are actually plenty of places to buy a Questyle CMA800R, contact info@questyleaudio.com for dealer information outside of North America. Contact info@audiopathways.com for dealer information in Canada, and info_usa@questyleaudio.com or questyleusa@gmail.com for the rest of North America

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #19,887 of 28,992
Well back on the grind.
Last night I left off on page 990. Only 400 or so more pages to go until I'm all caught up.

Kinda frustrating, every $200-$1,000 amp recommendation I read in this thread so far, was eventually dropped for by those people recommending them & they bought a $3,000-$5,000 end game amp/dac.
I can't & won't, at least in the foreseeable future, spend $3,000 to $5,000 on JUST A HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER.

So every post in this thread that has nothing but good things to say, with absolutely no negatives, about the amp pairing with the HD800 are those in the $3,000+ range.

Violetric V200 & Schiit Valhalla 2 are the ones that keep coming up over & over throughout the years that people keep mentioning as a good pair.
Just not sure how reliable they are, as those recommendation are years old & could be outdated or if those people found something a step above them (but still under the $2,000 price range).

I also read through all the separate Hd800 amp recommendations (most were ike 5-6 years old).

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #19,888 of 28,992
Another great choice is the Auralic Tarus Mk2. Great amp in balanced or SE. Detailed, but not hot, great soundstage, driving bass and looks good as well.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #19,890 of 28,992
I am using a vorzuge pure II+ with my AK240 and my HD800 and i am amazed how powerful this wonderful little amp is...when i use the middle gain position I barely have to go to 9 o'clock on the volume setting before i max out the volume i need!I can even get by with the lower setting if I choose.The 800 requires a fair bit of power so i am really impressed...and most importantly it sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back