The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #19,891 of 28,992
I still have my Mojo amp, as a backup to The Rok, for my 800's.

I really liked what the Mojo does for the 800's.

And the key to feeding the 800's is a well matched source.
If your dac or analog source has 'issues' you will hear them, in detail, on 800's.

JJ

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #19,893 of 28,992
  Violetric V200 & Schiit Valhalla 2 are the ones that keep coming up over & over throughout the years that people keep mentioning as a good pair.
Just not sure how reliable they are, as those recommendation are years old & could be outdated or if those people found something a step above them (but still under the $2,000 price range).

I also read through all the separate Hd800 amp recommendations (most were ike 5-6 years old).

The best sub-$1000 amp for the HD800 is the DIY Torpedo.  The kit is not that hard to complete.

http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=153

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #19,895 of 28,992

The best sub-$1000 amp for the HD800 is the DIY Torpedo.  The kit is not that hard to complete.

http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=153

I can safely say I have never heard of this amp. I am curious though, still in a hunt for a sub 1,000 dac/amp preferably as a combo as I have limited space.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #19,896 of 28,992
I like the CEntrance HiFi M8, which has Wolfson DAC and amp with high/low gain, 1/2/8 ohm output impedance, balanced/single-ended output, and fits in your shirt pocket, to drive the HD800.  I also have the HDVD 800, which is a $2,000 desktop amp and does not fit under the $1,000 threashold being discussed;  the $700 HiFi M8 does.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #19,897 of 28,992

Better than the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball DIY kit?

Yes.  For those that are in the HD800 is sterile camp (for the record I am not), the Torpedo brings out musicality and an ease of delivery that the Crack/Speedball don't.  There is a lack of grain on the torpedo that you still hear on the Crack.

However, the Crack is more versatile and can drive orthos.  The Torpedo will not do orthos well.

If you are looking for only an HD800 amp, you can't do better under a grand.  I'd also suggest the Headamp GS-1 which used comes in around $700-$800, but those are hard to come by and unabashedly make the HD800s strong points stronger, and don't try to correct any "flaws" of the headphone.  The GS-1/HD800 combo is not for most people.

Depends on if you feel the HD800 needs correction or not.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #19,898 of 28,992
  I can safely say I have never heard of this amp. I am curious though, still in a hunt for a sub 1,000 dac/amp preferably as a combo as I have limited space.

Dangerous Music Source. See if you can audition it locally. Pairs exceptionally well with HD 800.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #19,899 of 28,992

Yes.  For those that are in the HD800 is sterile camp (for the record I am not), the Torpedo brings out musicality and an ease of delivery that the Crack/Speedball don't.  There is a lack of grain on the torpedo that you still hear on the Crack.

However, the Crack is more versatile and can drive orthos.  The Torpedo will not do orthos well.

If you are looking for only an HD800 amp, you can't do better under a grand.  I'd also suggest the Headamp GS-1 which used comes in around $700-$800, but those are hard to come by and unabashedly make the HD800s strong points stronger, and don't try to correct any "flaws" of the headphone.  The GS-1/HD800 combo is not for most people.

Depends on if you feel the HD800 needs correction or not.

Nope...not really. Unless you count pm-1/2/3 or he400s,which I don't because ANY amp will drive those hp's. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #19,900 of 28,992
Just a fyi but the taurus can be bought discounted pretty easily. There's one going for 1200 in the fs and when I was buying mine I found a dealer display model and also another seller selling at a great price.

I have not heard the torpedo however the Crack and speedball does sound nice and you can often find that amp in the fs. It's also much less than 2k.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #19,901 of 28,992
A $2,000 balanced amp. Would have to buy a balanced DAC to match & the price would be nearing $3,000 again.

Definitely not something I can consider.

I have it matched with a "Vintage" R2R DAC, a Monarchy M22B. Not all that expensive and sounds phenomenal. The new M24 can be had for $1,200.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #19,902 of 28,992
  I like the CEntrance HiFi M8, which has Wolfson DAC and amp with high/low gain, 1/2/8 ohm output impedance, balanced/single-ended output, and fits in your shirt pocket, to drive the HD800.  I also have the HDVD 800, which is a $2,000 desktop amp and does not fit under the $1,000 threashold being discussed;  the $700 HiFi M8 does.

I always wanted to try them ever since I saw them in the InnerFidelity Wall of Fame for portable amps
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-headphone-amplifiers

That said, I have the newer iFi Mico iDSD, very well review portable dual DAC & amp combo that is price comparably to the M8. I feel it would be a side grade if I buy it.

The iDSD does nothing to tame the painful treble spike & harshness of the Beyer T1 (pairs fantastically with the LCD2 though).
I used the iDSD with a Schiit Asgard 2, which is a warmer amp & did lower the peaks & shrill sounds of the T1, but not close to fully taming them.

I'm convinced after having the Micro iDSD, that I would need a stronger desktop amp than something that is available in a portable package to fix the problems.

Just looking for an amp or dac that can 100% smooth out any painful, harsh, treble spikes & sibilance of the HD800 (and T1 by extension), while not affecting or  congesting the soundstage/imaging. If anything, I want the amp to expand the holographic sound!

If there was a solid state portable amp that can do that & still be under $1,000, I would jump on it in a second!

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #19,903 of 28,992

I always wanted to try them ever since I saw them in the InnerFidelity Wall of Fame for portable amps
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-headphone-amplifiers

That said, I have the newer iFi Mico iDSD, very well review portable dual DAC & amp combo that is price comparably to the M8. I feel it would be a side grade if I buy it.

The iDSD does nothing to tame the painful treble spike & harshness of the Beyer T1 (pairs fantastically with the LCD2 though).
I used the iDSD with a Schiit Asgard 2, which is a warmer amp & did lower the peaks & shrill sounds of the T1, but not close to fully taming them.

I'm convinced after having the Micro iDSD, that I would need a stronger desktop amp than something that is available in a portable package to fix the problems.

Just looking for an amp or dac that can 100% smooth out any painful, harsh, treble spikes & sibilance of the HD800 (and T1 by extension), while not affecting or  congesting the soundstage/imaging. If anything, I want the amp to expand the holographic sound!

If there was a solid state portable amp that can do that & still be under $1,000, I would jump on it in a second!

Look no farther than Vorzuge then, great sounding amps, probably the best portables out there! Also, if you can find a used Apex Glacier, a great little amp as well.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #19,905 of 28,992

Really?
Any clue on how it compare to other portable amp/dacs like the Micro iDSD, HiFi M8, Geek Out 2?

I was stunned at how good the ifi stack was with the hd800. micro idsd, ican and itube. I had no idea that they were making gears that had that kind of potential. You think that the 800 can't do sub bass? Grab that stack and turn the x-bass to medium...then to high...then pick your jaw off the table. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back