The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #19,831 of 29,017
Really? Trevor told me the Draug 2 was not available with jacket/sleeve other than clear.
Me no likey.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #19,833 of 29,017
I asked for red with gray tracer.

Then sell it to me! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #19,834 of 29,017

Draug 2 can be had naked? 
eek.gif
  Me likey!!

Matt, Trevor's latest run is bare naked (down here naaaaaaaaaakaddd)...
wink_face.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #19,836 of 29,017
Aug 26, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #19,837 of 29,017
  I just paired the O2 with the HD800. Enough power for sure, and the sound is simply sublime. Easily beats $500 amps I've tried. Shocking. O2. wow.

Well all unwanted artifacts are way below threshold and it has a ruler flat frequency response. Enjoy!

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #19,838 of 29,017
So the replacement earpads came. I bought my HD800s secondhand, with a 063xx serial number, and i don't think the earpads had been replaced before. I'm not sure if this is just my purchaser's bias, but the sound seems more collected, well placed, and spacious. And my ears no longer touch the lining :) 

The price feels a little exploitative ($80 directly from Sennheiser, I've seen $100+ elsewhere), and I had to wait for them to return to stock (a week, maybe 2?), but I would be hard pressed not to concede that the sound at least SEEMS to be $80 improved. If you can feel the lining on your earpads, I would thus recommend the purchase as on balance a worthwhile one.

Other thoughts on earpad replacement benefits? Am I victim of a placebo?

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #19,839 of 29,017
  So the replacement earpads came. I bought my HD800s secondhand, with a 063xx serial number, and i don't think the earpads had been replaced before. I'm not sure if this is just my purchaser's bias, but the sound seems more collected, well placed, and spacious. And my ears no longer touch the lining :) 

The price feels a little exploitative ($80 directly from Sennheiser, I've seen $100+ elsewhere), and I had to wait for them to return to stock (a week, maybe 2?), but I would be hard pressed not to concede that the sound at least SEEMS to be $80 improved. If you can feel the lining on your earpads, I would thus recommend the purchase as on balance a worthwhile one.

Ear pad wear in the vintage headphone thread is a topic brought up often for good reason.  It is very important.  
Since the vintage HP's are relatively speaking pretty cheap, ear cushion change outs can result in major changes in the audio HP experience.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #19,841 of 29,017
I guess I was one of those who said that the O2 wasn't the strongest match for the HD800. I didn't care for the combination, preferring my Taurus Mk. 2 and the Vallhalla 2. I felt the O2 added siblence in the treble. I wasn't able to use an EQ at the time, so perhaps that was an issue.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #19,842 of 29,017
I guess I was one of those who said that the O2 wasn't the strongest match for the HD800. I didn't care for the combination, preferring my Taurus Mk. 2 and the Vallhalla 2. I felt the O2 added siblence in the treble. I wasn't able to use an EQ at the time, so perhaps that was an issue.

Well, I guess I do have the annax mod applied. It kind of cancels each other out. I would call the unmodded HD800 with O2 sharp too.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #19,843 of 29,017

To put an exact $xx on an improvement is usually pretty difficult. In case of headphone pad replacement it is obvious that proper distance and damping gets restored to the original state. Pads are a parts that wears out and soaks up all kinds of dirt which influences the properties. I don't think that this is a placebo effect.

There are true placebos around that are a LOT more expensive than $80, especially in the high end scheme of things
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #19,844 of 29,017
received a pair of 800's today...bought a used pair and used them this afternoon with my chord hugo and my ak240 with my vorzuge pure II and they sounded glorious with both.i currently have an audeze LCD-3F and i am not sure which one i like better but i know i really do like the 800!i also have a pair of Oppo PM-1s which surprisingly hold up very well against hese 2 titans and i use to travel with me due to their size and weight.....i am glad i picked up the 800 because i have always wondered how they compare

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #19,845 of 29,017
the one thing i will say about the 800 is if you listen to a great sounding recording it is truly glorious but if you listen to a poorly recorded and mastered recording look out,it is going to bring out all the flaws

Users who are viewing this thread

Back