The NEW ATH-ES700..
Jan 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #961 of 1,098

I too am quite surprised by that curve. It is not what I'm hearing! The do have a slight sub-bass roll off, but I still find the sub-bass of the ES700's to be very well extended and present. It is my favorite headphone to date, and I am a basshead!

Weird, I am hearing it exactly as graphed - no sub-bass with mid-bass boost.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #964 of 1,098
Same for me as well, the sub-bass feels weak and "hollowed out". You can sense that it's there but not there at the same time.

+
  test the sub-bass... listen to Bach' Toccata and Fugue. it's almost a joke with the ES700. it does indeed have that fabulous mid though. 

^ The sub bass on these is a bit "soft" sounding but there is presence and digs deeper than the JVC S400s and 500s for sure. It will not WOW you with it's sub bass quantity and quality that's for sure but it is pretty decent, esp. if you use the WS55 pads on them. The stock pads for me seems to not only congest the soundstage but the bass quality/ quantity as well. With the WS55 pads it's almost like the sound is more liberated. Not night and day but noticeable difference.

Would have sold these longgg ago if not for the WS55 pads. And yeppp mids are CRAZY sweet on these ES700s, one of the best mids i have heard from all my iems or cans so far. The treble on these are good but nothing spectacular, cuz these are truly mid-centric cans that does the highs and lows justice as well.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #968 of 1,098
The bass issue is the stock pads...
Not a good seal for everyone ears.
With esw9 lambskin pads the cans turn into sonic beasts delivering about %30 increase in better sound over stock & approaching the es10.
The es700 with esw9 pads is like the es10 lil brother, with a little increase in livelier/ brighter/ more closer mids.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #969 of 1,098
The bass issue is the stock pads...
Not a good seal for everyone ears.
With esw9 lambskin pads the cans turn into sonic beasts delivering about %30 increase in better sound over stock & approaching the es10.
The es700 with esw9 pads is like the es10 lil brother, with a little increase in livelier/ brighter/ more closer mids.

Have to try to put the stock pads back on when I get home from work and try this out! I've failed to mention that all my previous impressions with the ES700's are in fact with the ESW9a lambskins (sorry), which indeed have pretty damn good isolation.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #970 of 1,098
Considering getting these,  but after seeing the graph I am a bit afraid. I had the es10 but had to get rid of them because of that crazy treble. Loved the bass on those, and was hoping the es700 would come close. Does the bass of the es700 near the es10 bass? Or am I just wishing and hoping for no reason?

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #971 of 1,098
  Considering getting these,  but after seeing the graph I am a bit afraid. I had the es10 but had to get rid of them because of that crazy treble. Loved the bass on those, and was hoping the es700 would come close. Does the bass of the es700 near the es10 bass? Or am I just wishing and hoping for no reason?

Haven't heard the ES10's, but I was A-B:ing the DT770/80 (pleather pads) and the ES700's (ESW9a pads) for EDM last night (weird AB I know). And I actually found that I liked the ES700's sub-bass more! Granted I used 2 different EQ contours on my computer that suits my preferences for both headphones, but there is only so much EQ can do. The DT770/80 always had much more slam in the mid bass and more quantity. But the bass of the ES700 is really tight and well extended (My EQ contour peaks at 50hz negating the roll-off). It's the sweet overall presentation and the wonderful mids that draws me in! I love both headphones, but I love the ES700's more! :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #972 of 1,098
Haven't heard the ES10's, but I was A-B:ing the DT770/80 (pleather pads) and the ES700's (ESW9a pads) for EDM last night (weird AB I know). And I actually found that I liked the ES700's sub-bass more! Granted I used 2 different EQ contours on my computer that suits my preferences for both headphones, but there is only so much EQ can do. The DT770/80 always had much more slam in the mid bass and more quantity. But the bass of the ES700 is really tight and well extended (My EQ contour peaks at 50hz negating the roll-off). It's the sweet overall presentation and the wonderful mids that draws me in! I love both headphones, but I love the ES700's more! :)

Do you think hardware EQ will be enough to get rid of the roll off? I'm talking about things like the zo2 or fiio amps. Sub bass is a must have for me. You also said it's controlled (well,tight) which is something that makes me happy to hear :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #973 of 1,098
Do you think hardware EQ will be enough to get rid of the roll off? I'm talking about things like the zo2 or fiio amps. Sub bass is a must have for me. You also said it's controlled (well,tight) which is something that makes me happy to hear :)

The fiio E17 and the arrow 3G both work well when it comes to bass and es700. Never heard the zo2, but judging from the contours on their website I'd imagine it would work quite well!

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #974 of 1,098
Hi, I just finished reading these 65 pages and I ordered one ath-es700. I am looking forward to them very much 
L3000.gif

Are you using some protective film on cups? I'm afraid that is scratch soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back