The NEW ATH-ES700..
Mar 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #994 of 1,098
I just read through all of this and I'm still torn between the esw9 and es700.
:basshead:

Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend a more portable headphone with a similar sound signature to the m50's?

The esw9 is more laid back in upper mids and thus can be considered more "v" shaped compared to the more forward es700

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #995 of 1,098
Hi, I am thinking to buy some DAC/Amp for example Fiio E18 or something similar. My question is the ES700 may profit from these or its waste of money? It is difference between amped and unamped ES700? Now I listen from SGS III or laptop lenovo T430.
BTW My other headphone are UE triple fi 10 and Senn HD555.

Thanks

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #996 of 1,098
  Hi, I am thinking to buy some DAC/Amp for example Fiio E18 or something similar. My question is the ES700 may profit from these or its waste of money? It is difference between amped and unamped ES700? Now I listen from SGS III or laptop lenovo T430.
BTW My other headphone are UE triple fi 10 and Senn HD555.

Thanks

I personally would think it's quite a waste of money as the ES700 is an extremely easy to drive headphone. I have an E17 that I use with my other headphones, but I never ever use it with the ES700 as there isn't any discernible improvement with it amped, and it's almost not worth the hassle to have to play the ES700 through an amp.

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #997 of 1,098
Then I have made a big oopsie since I'm driving my ES700's with an RWAK100 hooked up to a Vorzamp Duo 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #998 of 1,098
Im still on the search for a perfect headphone. Its hard to think that no one manufacturer has cracked it. I have some m50's which were my first headphone for getting into this stuff. I got the es700 later after some initial disappointment with the m50. I now see where both headphones fall short and where a manufacturer could really take hold if they hit all the notes right. After break in with the m50's I have to say that I really enjoy the laid back nature of the m50's but was clamoring for something to come out in the mids and sully me with some smoothness. The v-shape nature was a bit too extreme with the m50 and vocals and live instruments suffered a lot because of it (right as I'm getting into "real music"). They were also a bit too bulky/heavy/plasticky and I came to dislike the over stylized "cyber teen" look of them (I have the white ones). I have come to like the highs that I thought were first too sharp. I like the pillow thumping (sub)bass although it is a bit one-note and slow, not very dynamic. Impact is good enough but i didn't want to go lower. After owing the es700 and the m50 I have come to really love the flexibility of the m50's and i wanted to keep that in mind (tilting & swiveling ear cups, and a collapsible design of some sort). I realized how key these things were to fitting ergonomically on the head. A removable cable, ideally with a small coil just in case it got caught it wouldn't yank my phone out, and mobile controls are just subtle things that go a long way in making a headphone perfect. Would be cool to see a manufacturer include a mobile cable like this and a "studio" cable akin to the standard m50's coiled cable with more length. I mean I'm seeing a lot of nice stuff out, but most of it is over designed and trying too hard to look retro or futurist (sony) and failing HARD! Those aurvana live 2's are hideous. C'mon UE 6000's we're not in Tron. Wheres the industrial design folks.

When looking for a new headphone, which led to this es700 thread, I was looking for generally better SQ and a simpler classy style that was comfortable and had a neutral presence that didn't compromise. I hadn't yet made all the observations mentioned before so i really went in gunning for a higher end non-v shaped can. Its taken me owning both the m50 and the es700s (polar opposites) to see what i really want in my next headphone. I bought the es700 from a dude on here with the ws55 pads included and a case. When i got them i was a bit disappointed how flimsy they were and the cups didn't swivel and tilt fully like the m50's. At the time when I hadn't yet had the experience to fully evaluate the ideal sound of headphones or what features made up for the best experience.

What I love and hate about the es700's
Love...
-Very good clarity, sounds like theres no floor or walls blocking the sound (unlike the m50's)
-Fast bass with decent impact
-Really catches all the little notes and tones in the background in the music
-Makes music come alive with midrange focus
-Very lightweight and portable
-Classy design cues
-Plug that actually fits in most devices

Hate...
-DAMN these things don't feel sturdy at all coming from the m50's. Don't be fooled by the made in Japan and whatever. These headphones are strictly meant to be as light as possible. I can feel the sliding mechanism all around through the cheap headband.
-Cord comes from both ear cups, i get tangled with em a bit sometimes
-Non-removable cable
-No mobile controls
-Midrange really focuses on the upper mids which doesn't really help softer instruments and soft synths come alive. They all kind of get tucked into the upper midrange
-Can sound a bit thin sometimes, sound doesn't have as much "depth" or "girth" i would've liked. I think some over ears with a focus on a more liquid lower mid range would help here.
-Treble doesn't extend all the way as I feel m50's give off a sense of treble being more distant and simblant (in a good way)
-Bass could have more sub bass emphasis
-These are a bit too forward and engaging. My ears feel tired after a day with these. I can really enjoy the laid back nature of the m50's after a day with these.
-on ear hurts after like 1 hr, uncomfortable pads (even with ws55's)
-cups dont tilt, swivel all the way. No collapsing design
-funky headband that gets mushed together like wrinkles

I will gladly sell both of these in order to find a phone like a circumaural Thinksound on1 with a little more laid back sound. The sennheiser momentum looks nice too but that thing has no flexibility, apparently too little bass, and is $300. Gimme dat removable cable, that sleek design, them flipping n swiveling cups, that ideal sweet n supple clear sound, a nice compact circumaural design, and for under $250 we got a deal. Whatdya say industry...hook me up.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,001 of 1,098
*snip*
I will gladly sell both of these in order to find a phone like a circumaural Thinksound on1 with a little more laid back sound. The sennheiser momentum looks nice too but that thing has no flexibility, apparently too little bass, and is $300. Gimme dat removable cable, that sleek design, them flipping n swiveling cups, that ideal sweet n supple clear sound, a nice compact circumaural design, and for under $250 we got a deal. Whatdya say industry...hook me up.

I know they aren't circum aural, but have you looked in to the KEF M500? I think they tick all you checkboxes, except being circum aural.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #1,002 of 1,098
And don't forget the Mikros 90, which a couple of guys mentioned is an upgrade on the ES700s. I think they're pretty sleek and well-built. I had my eye on the ES700s initially, but since the Mikros have been so highly discounted I couldn't help but go for them instead.

They do have a very tight clamp out of box, but the headband can be bent slightly. I stretched them over a speaker while I burnt them in and they're perfect now. And these really do need burn-in because they're pretty poor out of box. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #1,003 of 1,098

sounds like H25 would tick a lot of your boxes

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,004 of 1,098
Just ordered one of these after seeing Lachlan's review.  Hard choice between this and getting the HD 25-1 II.  Decided that I have enough "German headphones"  Needed some more from our other Post-War friend.

Sound is very nice and balanced, bass extends well but nothing excessive.  Vocals shine nicely on these, it's missing a bit of the top end but I don't mind too much, I'd rather not have any sibilance.

Comfort is a slight issue, experimenting with cotton stuffing the pads until the ESW9 pads I ordered from Audio Technica arrive.

For some reason I thought these headphones were a shiny black but it's more of well stainless steel, which isn't bad but pictures just make it look black.

Looks like these and the FiiO X3 will be my main portable set-up.

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,005 of 1,098
I came across this headphone recommended by the sales person in my local store. I was looking for portable decent compact headphones that could fit into my slim bag while traveling. I used to owned Senn Amperior (sold because of the weight) and Momentum Over-ear (sold because of its overall size). I had shortlisted, Beyerdynamic DTX 501p, AKG K451, Senn PX200ii and Beyerdynamic COP (because it was having in-house promotion). Then he brought AT ES700 to the table for me to audit it. Immediately I was hooked by its sound and it was beautifully made. Moreover it was made in Japan. I was listening to my Ety ER4s while travelling to get my headphone and ES700 sounded almost similar to my Ety, at least for me. I'm glad I had purchased the last box. Maybe just me, while I was unboxing the headphone I kind of fell in love with the box too. Lol... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back