The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Apr 16, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,741 of 2,052
I don't have any experience watching movies with the Elex and no longer have my pair (left driver died, got a refund instead of replacement), but have watched movies with the A2C and can certainly say it's well up to the task. I personally found the comfort better and the closed nature was great for quieter scenes (usually watching on a tablet in a hotel), but they can run a bit warm with such a long session. Not really a complaint here, but a difference worth noting between these two options. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either unless there's any ambient noise... in which case the choice is clear. 🙂
Thank you so much! Really helpful :)

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,742 of 2,052
Wonderful reply, thank you! I may end up picking up both and having one be "for the wife" and borrow them occasionally! Fortunately 99% of the use will be at home with not worry about open headphones or portability, but hopefully the portability may be more useful in the coming months as the world inches towards a bit more normalcy. I have a chord mojo gathering dust that would be wonderful to use portable again!

Do you have any preference or experience between the two when it comes to movies, or just music?
No movie experience with either, sorry. But I think both would be up to the task. Again, depends on your presentation preference and the ability to have a quiet environment. Mojo is fantastic with either, but Aeon 2 Closed and Mojo/Poly is a daily combo for me when I’m not at my desk with mScaler/TT2 and HEDDphone or Ether 2.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,743 of 2,052
Hi Dan. I am a huge fan of the design of the Aeon 2 and I might get a pair in the future. What amps do you recommend for it under 400 dollars?
I use it with the Schiit Jotunheim, a wonderful combination (neutral but powerful). But I haven't compared with other amps.

May 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,745 of 2,052
Hi, has any of you compared Closed 2 versus Meze Empyrean? What are main advantages or are there any aspect which a2c holds better? Thanks.
I would expect the Empyrean to have a wider soundstage, similar comfort (both are top notch) and much more details. That is an odd comparison though, wouldn't Focal Celestee or Audeze lcd 2 closed back be more appropriate?

May 16, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,747 of 2,052
Any oriolus ba300s users who also have Aeone 2? I’m trying to understand is 600 mW( 350mW from amp + around 250 from Sony WM1a, I hope I’ve calculated it right ) or so into 32 Ohms is enough to drive headphones or I should sell oriolus and take a look on iFi micro black label ?

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #1,748 of 2,052
I can’t tell you if the Oriolus/Sony combo would pair well but the Black Label is a good combo with plenty of headroom to spare.

Now there’s the Micro Signature to consider and the Diablo.
I have pair of Noire coming in next week and I’m looking forward to trying it with my Diablo.

Any oriolus ba300s users who also have Aeone 2? I’m trying to understand is 600 mW( 350mW from amp + around 250 from Sony WM1a, I hope I’ve calculated it right ) or so into 32 Ohms is enough to drive headphones or I should sell oriolus and take a look on iFi micro black label ?

May 16, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #1,749 of 2,052
I have the Aeon 2 closed and I don’t think you can compare it against the Empyrean it’s in a different class, if you want to compare against a closed back Headphone then it should be either the Focal Stella or ZMF Verite.

No, you'd look to compare it to a closed back more in its price range/class like the Celestee. I have both the A2C and Stellia and the Stellia is clearly superior in every way save for the fact it weighs a bit more and its headband can make some creaking noises. The fact it is superior should be no surprise given the huge price difference.

When it comes to the A2C, I've had it since early Feb 2020 and while I think the sound is nice, the build quality has come up quite short for the price:

-Within a few weeks, the paint was starting to flake off on the little folding arms despite mine supposedly being made after this issue was fixed. I never dropped or scraped them against anything...just flaked off on its own.

-The right ear pad is a bit deformed compared to the left and this started not long after I got them. Doesn't seem to impact sound quality though yet still annoying. I've tried to roll it and all that jazz yet it doesn't fix it.

-After around the 5-6 month mark, I noticed some weirdness started where the sound would become low in the right ear and this would crap everything to the left. I sort of fix this by undoing the connections. I thought it was a sign the driver was about to completely die yet it hasn't and it's usually a case where if this happens, I can get it fixed and it is fine for the rest my session.

-About 2 weeks ago, a piece of the plastic on the part that connects the head strap to the wire band snapped off on one of the wires. I can still snap the wire into the piece so it still holds everything yet this cracked without me dropping them or anything else to cause this to happen. I also don't use the headphone all that much these days.

All these I am sure could be fixed under warranty yet as I live in Canada, it's not the most convenient thing to have to send it to California and since they aren't things that cause me the inability to use the headphone, I will live with them, especially with me not using this as my main headphone. What I do know is this is my first and last DCA purchase and while I may enjoy the sound quality, I would not recommend this to others now. I did recommend it here back a year ago (if there's an ability to search the thread based on username, people will see my posts) yet all these little issues has changed that for me.

As for why I would not buy another DCA product, it's just not worth the potential hassle of sending something down there (especially California of all places given I am in Ontario so it's quite the distance) if there is a major problem and I thought having something that is more hand made would have better build quality and reliability yet it's been the exact opposite as every other headphone I have ever owned has not had a problem.

May 17, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #1,750 of 2,052
I've had issues with the pads as well, the left one is a bit deformed. I've also noticed a lot of strong balance issues left and right, For me this was caused by the cable. I've replaced the cable and it works fine again. But i did have to replace the first unit for channel imbalance about 10 months ago.
My first version from i think february/march also had the flaking issue, but my second unit doesn't.

For the weirdness with the sound, i would suggest replacing the cable if you don't want to send it back. To at least have your expensive headphones working correctly.

I would also not really recommend them, between the channel imbalance, stock cable that isn't all that sturdy. Unless you live close by the retailer and don't have alternatives for a closed headphone.

For info, i've had a sennheiser HD555 for 6 years and Hifiman HE400s for 5 years and i've treated those much more roughly than these DC's.

My retailer told me that not using any of the inserts can maybe cause resonant frequencies in the cup, i really hope that is not the case.

May 17, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #1,751 of 2,052
N

-The right ear pad is a bit deformed compared to the left and this started not long after I got them. Doesn't seem to impact sound quality though yet still annoying. I've tried to roll it and all that jazz yet it doesn't fix it.

-After around the 5-6 month mark, I noticed some weirdness started where the sound would become low in the right ear and this would crap everything to the left. I sort of fix this by undoing the connections. I thought it was a sign the driver was about to completely die yet it hasn't and it's usually a case where if this happens, I can get it fixed and it is fine for the rest my session.
Hi, these two things happened to me also. Instead my left is going off and balance runs to right...
Will try to switch cable maybe its really the case.
Update. ok it seems cable thing. I have a spare and it works well.
Update 2 happening again...

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #1,753 of 2,052
No, you'd look to compare it to a closed back more in its price range/class like the Celestee. I have both the A2C and Stellia and the Stellia is clearly superior in every way save for the fact it weighs a bit more and its headband can make some creaking noises. The fact it is superior should be no surprise given the huge price difference.

When it comes to the A2C, I've had it since early Feb 2020 and while I think the sound is nice, the build quality has come up quite short for the price:

-Within a few weeks, the paint was starting to flake off on the little folding arms despite mine supposedly being made after this issue was fixed. I never dropped or scraped them against anything...just flaked off on its own.

-About 2 weeks ago, a piece of the plastic on the part that connects the head strap to the wire band snapped off on one of the wires. I can still snap the wire into the piece so it still holds everything yet this cracked without me dropping them or anything else to cause this to happen. I also don't use the headphone all that much these days.

All these I am sure could be fixed under warranty yet as I live in Canada, it's not the most convenient thing to have to send it to California and since they aren't things that cause me the inability to use the headphone, I will live with them, especially with me not using this as my main headphone. What I do know is this is my first and last DCA purchase and while I may enjoy the sound quality, I would not recommend this to others now. I did recommend it here back a year ago (if there's an ability to search the thread based on username, people will see my posts) yet all these little issues has changed that for me.

As for why I would not buy another DCA product, it's just not worth the potential hassle of sending something down there (especially California of all places given I am in Ontario so it's quite the distance) if there is a major problem and I thought having something that is more hand made would have better build quality and reliability yet it's been the exact opposite as every other headphone I have ever owned has not had a problem.
I had the intermittent low volume on the right driver as well. I don’t think it’s the cable, and DCA switched the pair out with no questions. New unit seems fine in all regards. I think the service is great from this company, so it seems silly not to take advantage of the warranty and get your issues corrected.

May 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,754 of 2,052
Ok it seems cable switch does not gave efect or not for long. within one hour i received again left ear volume level dropdown. WHat helps the following either increase a bit volume and it fixes while playing or try to plug unplug several times or switch off dac and turn on...
And this started to happen after 5-7 months of usage.

I have bough from headfi member who bough originaly from Croatia dealer (have the original receipt). Wondering can i send straight to DCA or through the dealer only (but in this case i am not original buyer).

@mrspeakers what would you suggest as right approach?

May 17, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,755 of 2,052
I had the intermittent low volume on the right driver as well. I don’t think it’s the cable, and DCA switched the pair out with no questions. New unit seems fine in all regards. I think the service is great from this company, so it seems silly not to take advantage of the warranty and get your issues corrected.
But has it started just at some point? Does volume increase and decrease help and or unplug plug jack or swithing of dac / amp and starting new signal cures it ? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back