The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #1,771 of 2,052
It’s a really good match. @Huntersknoll
The Diablo steps away from the warmer iFi amp sound found in the Black Label and such.

The Noire tilt toward the warm-ish side of “neutral” and benefits from the cleaner sounding Diablo.

The balanced out provides an improvement over the single ended out as well.
More dynamic at lower volumes and headroom galore.
I found myself going using the Turbo gain when SE so it even helps preserve the battery life when in use since normal mode now outputs the juice.

Also if you pick up the Diablo with the travel case it makes a sweet portable set up.
It’s actually the main reason I bought the Noire.DCE48066-3E99-4461-BFE5-0701E5300E58.jpeg40C4543E-957E-4162-8F7F-12439C1AB363.jpeg

PS off topic but does anyone else experience crappy/grainy pics under low lighting with iPhone! My 11 takes the grainiest pics unless under direct sunlight

I see that you have a zen dac in your pic. Have you tried the Noire through that? The Noire is on my closed back shortlist. I currently have a zen dax and zen can.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #1,772 of 2,052
I see that you have a zen dac in your pic. Have you tried the Noire through that? The Noire is on my closed back shortlist. I currently have a zen dax and zen can.

Its a Zen Can. It’s a good match for the Noire and the Bass boost makes electronic music fun.
I actually recently sold off my Noire.

I think I’ll be going the IEM route for travel purposes

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,774 of 2,052
Thanks. Just got the Noire today. The Zen Can drives them easily. So far so good...
It drives it without breaking a sweat, right?

I think iFi and DCA products have great synergy together.

I remember feeling disappointed when I first tried my Aeon 2 Open and my amp couldn't really deliver the juice.
The Zen Can is a quick, affordable option to remedy that.

A lot of people who first purchased the Zen DAC seem to question whether the Can makes an audible difference until they try it and its an obvious increase in power and dynamics on the cheap.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,775 of 2,052
Yep, I have it on only 6db gain and max volume for me is with the dial at 12 o'clock. With 12db its at 9ish.
I'm running it with a Zen Dac as well. Next week a mate is coming over with his RME ADI-2 and a few other high-end cans to try. I'll post my thoughts.

Update: the Noire's are going back. Lots of positives but lacklustre and absent midrange sucks the energy and dynamism out of much of the music I listen to. I was looking for closed-backs I could rock out to without disturbing the wife late at night. These isolate very well but not cans for rocking out to... the search continues.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,776 of 2,052
I ultimately had the same issue. I love the build and looks of the Noire.
Easily one of the coolest looking cans around and probably the most comfy of any I've tried.

I tried the Noire after owning the Open back but they both ultimately were sold due to similar reasons.
No dynamics, not the greatest detail retrieval, and overall too polite for my tastes.

Honestly, my Sundara are more dynamic and sound better to my ears especially for jazz/instrumental music.
The Aeons were good for electronic but again too polite and I found my LCD2 closed have much better dynamics and bass texture.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #1,777 of 2,052
Yep, I have it on only 6db gain and max volume for me is with the dial at 12 o'clock. With 12db its at 9ish.
I'm running it with a Zen Dac as well. Next week a mate is coming over with his RME ADI-2 and a few other high-end cans to try. I'll post my thoughts.

Update: the Noire's are going back. Lots of positives but lacklustre and absent midrange sucks the energy and dynamism out of much of the music I listen to. I was looking for closed-backs I could rock out to without disturbing the wife late at night. These isolate very well but not cans for rocking out to... the search continues.
Noire was tuned to be close to the Harman curve. The original Aeon 2 closed has a more present and warmer midrange, the Harman curve reduces midrange energy by 2-3 db from about 200-800Hz in direct comparison.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 3, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #1,779 of 2,052
The Dekoni pads are a major improvement in comfort as well as longevity. The Dekoni pads hold their shape better unlike the stock pads that start to deform because the foam on the inside is too soft. The foam starts to fold itself. The Dekoni pads that I have tried are the sheepskin ones, they barely change the sound signature. I would stay away from the fenestrated and hybrid variants because they change the sound to much, adds to much treble. I haven't tried to remove the pads though. The adhesive they use is 3M VHB so I would image it is going to require a lot of force to pull them off, which could potentially damage the ear pads.
Not very happy with the stock pads deforming after minimal use and not being covered under warranty! I may try the Dekoni pads too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #1,782 of 2,052
Anyone switched to Apple Music lossless too? Made my Aeon 2 Opens sound like tenfold the price coming from Tidal😄

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,783 of 2,052
Anyone switched to Apple Music lossless too? Made my Aeon 2 Opens sound like tenfold the price coming from Tidal😄
Yes, but my experience was that they sound identical.

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,784 of 2,052
Yes, but my experience was that they sound identical.
Really? To me transients are a lot silkier and the songs sound cleaner. I guess they have better masters

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #1,785 of 2,052
Really? To me transients are a lot silkier and the songs sound cleaner. I guess they have better masters
The Redbook (non-MQA) files are from exactly the same masters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back