The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #241 of 2,052
Ordered a pair of the closed back...I love the planar sound (home rig is a lCD-4) and was looking for a nice closed back for travel and being about. I have a pair of Campfire Audio Cascade, and although a nice can, the bass is a bit bloomy..nothing quite like that tight planar bass (to me ), so looking forward to what these will sound like, will be pairing it with a Hiby R5 for travel..
I look forward to hearing your comparisons to those 2, as one of those is my next purchase. I love bass, but the mids are my main area of focus lately. Looks like you are right down the street from me in Plano. Howdy fellow Texan!

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #242 of 2,052
X
I look forward to hearing your comparisons to those 2, as one of those is my next purchase. I love bass, but the mids are my main area of focus lately. Looks like you are right down the street from me in Plano. Howdy fellow Texan!

I hadn't noticed @erpguru was in Frisco, good eye, I'm in Plano, also. :beerchug:

I have a pair of the original AFO coming in tomorrow (it looks like), that will be my first Mr ... er, Dan Clark Audio headphone set, and I'm hoping I dig the sound as I might be interested in the new AFC 2 if all goes well... but also kind of thinking of the Focal Elegia strongly.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #243 of 2,052
I have a pair of the original AFO coming in tomorrow (it looks like), that will be my first Mr ... er, Dan Clark Audio headphone set, and I'm hoping I dig the sound as I might be interested in the new AFC 2 if all goes well

I would strongly advise you to NOT use the original AFO as a baseline to decide whether you're getting the A2C / A2O as they're literally completely different headphones when it comes to sound presentation. The only useful information that you would get from the original AFO is comfort and form factor. Return the AFO and drop another $100 to get the A2C or A2O and you will most likely not regret the move!

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #244 of 2,052
I would strongly advise you to NOT use the original AFO as a baseline to decide whether you're getting the A2C / A2O as they're literally completely different headphones when it comes to sound presentation. The only useful information that you would get from the original AFO is comfort and form factor. Return the AFO and drop another $100 to get the A2C or A2O and you will most likely not regret the move!

Ah, well I bought the AFO 1st gen used for $400, and I'm expecting the AFC2 to have a similar sound to the AFO 1st gen, based on what I have read so far, along the lines of the AFC2 sounding more open than the AFO 1st gen, but having a sound signature that moves it closer to AFO 1st gen.

I'd be surprised if the AFC2 sounds radically different from the AFO 1st gen.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #245 of 2,052
Ah, well I bought the AFO 1st gen used for $400, and I'm expecting the AFC2 to have a similar sound to the AFO 1st gen, based on what I have read so far, along the lines of the AFC2 sounding more open than the AFO 1st gen, but having a sound signature that moves it closer to AFO 1st gen.

I'd be surprised if the AFC2 sounds radically different from the AFO 1st gen.

Oh I see, you got it used. Well, you’ll be surprised by how different they sound. I’m not sure where you read the reviews but from what I’ve read here on HF (including the video on the first post of this thread), headphone guru review, headphonics first impressions and my own impressions shared here on HF it seems to be a consensus that the A2 sound a lot better and considerably different from the original AFO. To me, the A2 are even better than the Ether Flow C 1.1 which I owned.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #246 of 2,052
Oh I see, you got it used. Well, you’ll be surprised by how different they sound. I’m not sure where you read the reviews but from what I’ve read here on HF (including the video on the first post of this thread), headphone guru review, headphonics first impressions and my own impressions shared here on HF it seems to be a consensus that the A2 sound a lot better and considerably different from the original AFO. To me, the A2 are even better than the Ether Flow C 1.1 which I owned.

I've watched all the videos and read all the major reviews so far but I might have missed that, I didn't really hear much about a comparison between AFO 1st gen and AFC2 except one reviewer noting that the AFC2 sounds even more open than the original AFO, but I admit I am extrapolating from the reviews (and Dan himself) speaking mostly about the tuning difference between AFC1 and AFC2 being in the direction of the AFO 1st gen (AFC1 being warmer and having bigger soundstage, which is direction of AFO 1st gen since the same two things can be said about AFO being warmer and having a bigger soundstage than AFC1).

Also, I've not seen anyone really speak about the AFO2 except in very brief passing to say that now AFC2 and AFO2 now sound closer to each other -- way more than AFC1 and AFO1 ever did, as those sounded very different from each other. Everything I read about AFC1 and AFO1 made me think I'd like the AFO1 sound better than AFC1 -- thus, why I think AFC2 might be nice to my ears, too... sorry, I'm beating this like a dead horse, lol.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #247 of 2,052
I've watched all the videos and read all the major reviews so far but I might have missed that, I didn't really hear much about a comparison between AFO 1st gen and AFC2 except one reviewer noting that the AFC2 sounds even more open than the original AFO, but I admit I am extrapolating from the reviews (and Dan himself) speaking mostly about the tuning difference between AFC1 and AFC2 being in the direction of the AFO 1st gen (AFC1 being warmer and having bigger soundstage, which is direction of AFO 1st gen since the same two things can be said about AFO being warmer and having a bigger soundstage than AFC1).

Also, I've not seen anyone really speak about the AFO2 except in very brief passing to say that now AFC2 and AFO2 now sound closer to each other -- way more than AFC1 and AFO1 ever did, as those sounded very different from each other. Everything I read about AFC1 and AFO1 made me think I'd like the AFO1 sound better than AFC1 -- thus, why I think AFC2 might be nice to my ears, too... sorry, I'm beating this like a dead horse, lol.

Hahahaha no worries! Bear in mind that they all have the DC Audio house sound but those differences that you and others have pointed out are significant enough to make the A2 sound like a whole another headphone and as Dan pointed out, the A2 inherited the name mostly because of the aesthetics, everything else is different (motor, driver design and configuration)... anyways, I was just suggesting not to turn down an A2 trial based on the impressions that you’ll get from the AFO. Not liking the AFO may not necessarily lead to not like the A2C.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #248 of 2,052
IMG_0490.jpg

First impressions after just getting the AFC 2 tonight: :astonished:

I can't believe how much the dynamics are improved vs. AFC 1. Sound stage is definitely improved. Profoundly improved bass. Mids and treble are both smoother and more detailed.

I'm using Bifrost 2 > Lyr 3.

:open_mouth:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #249 of 2,052

I can't believe how much the dynamics are improved vs. AFC 1. Sound stage is definitely improved. Profoundly improved bass. Mids and treble are both smoother and more detailed.

Awesome sauce!!! I really want a pair of these . . .

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #250 of 2,052

thanks for sharing! Try the Jot with B2 as well?

that is my work set-up , very interested:)

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #251 of 2,052

You have impeccable taste in gear. :relaxed: I have a Bifrost 2 on the way to feed my Lyr 3.

No word yet though on when my Aeon 2's will ship....ordered last Saturday.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #254 of 2,052

Once I get them I'll let you know, maybe we can meet or you cam come by and can perform an A/B yourself. I hate to give my opinions to others as 1) I am not really great at articulating sound like some others are, and 2) my opinion is worth no more than my hot air...let you know once they are in and I get them burned in for a bit..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back