1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 1, 2019.
First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last
  1. RealestLad
    How are the dynamics, separation and details on the Aeon 2? And how similar is the Aeon 2 to the Ether 2?

2. MattTCG
    Those very things you mention are the hallmarks of this headphone, along with the sound stage. Aeon 2 open might be a better comparison for Ether 2.

3. flarex3
    Can you declare the necessary current and voltage the Aeon 2C needs to sound perfectly? Then we can check if a source device is suitable or not. I expect an answer such as " 5mA and 40 Volts"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. x RELIC x Contributor
    Use this, or any other calculator available.

http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

5. flarex3
    Not really, these calculations only show the necessary power for enough loudness but don't ensure good audio quality. The calculation shows 6.47 mW for 100dB but Dan said that get a source gear which can produce at least 200 mW.

trellus likes this.
  6. roskodan
    @flarex3 just check innerfatuity database, then you can extrapolate, based on the data of some headphone you have experience with, vs aeon 1 closed data.

I suggest a portable hefty Class A solid state speaker amp. In the range of 20-50kg. Depending on your budget. The heavier the better.

stenog and Mshenay like this.
  7. Jodet
    I'd love to hear any comparisons between either of the Aeon 2's and the HifiMan Arya.

I'm very happy with my Arya's but you can never get too light or too comfortable.

8. dropadred
    And what about AFC2 vs. Ether CX? Pretty much a direct price contender.

9. Kopf
    You are complicating a lot here. Just look for a dap of at least 200 mw to 13 ohms. This is a good starting point. As far as I know, many of the daps are limited to 1.5Vrms - 12Vrms U (Astell&Kern KANN Cube).
    So your question is how much current I (Ampere) a dap has to make?
    The amount of current I your dap delivers depends on the impedance of your headphone. A headphone with a low impedance requires less current than one with a high impedance. Current is not to be confused with power. Power P (Watt) is the result of the voltage U (Volt) and the current I (Ampere).
    P = U · I
    P = U2 : R

trellus and MattTCG like this.
  10. RealestLad
    Once you get the open model will you compare it to the Ether 2 and to the closed version? By the way but how does the closed Aeon 2 compare to Ether 2 in similarity?

11. MattTCG
    You got it. I'll be comparing them all. Just waiting on A2 open to arrive.

Fegefeuer, metal571 and bcowen like this.
  12. tcellguy
    I just spent about and hour comparing AFO 1, AFC 2, and Ether Cx. Again, my AFC 2 isn't fully burned in and a lot of the frequency response in the upper mid and treble can be tuned by using the tuning filters so it's hard to define the "stock" configurations to compare. In general I prefer the 1-notch white filters for all of these headphones.

I think the most telling point about the sound stage on the AFC 2 is that at one point I thought I was listening to the AFO 1 and was shocked to realize I had a closed headphone on (AFC 2).

The AFC 2 and AFO are much warmer than the Ether Cx. Detail retrieval on the Cx seems to still edge out the Aeons, but its very close between the AFC 2 and Cx. AFC 2 has a mid-bass boost compare with the Cx. Sounds stage is wider on the AFC 2 vs. AFO 1 and Ether Cx by a pretty large margin. Ether is a bit more forward in the mids and treble is more aggressive. The AFC 1 is even more aggressive in this region.

There are some other qualities that are difficult for me to describe comparing the Cx to the Aeons. The driver on the Cx larger, so there is a sense of more weight to the music. The sub bass of the Cx seems more impactful. Perhaps there is more forward depth in the Cx vs. the AFC 2?

I think the main comparator for differentiating the Cx and AFC 2 is tonality. The Cx is much more neutral while the AFC 2 is warmer with a fuller mid-bass boost and overall the bass performance, transition into the mids, and treble response seems more tuned like the AFO 1, but with greater detail retrieval and less sibilance. The AFC 2 is way more forgiving for poorly recorded rock / metal compare with the Cx, which was in turn more forgiving vs. the AFC 1.

I like all of these headphones and it's hard to say which I like more.

Mkoll, Odin412, bcowen and 2 others like this.
  13. roskodan
    It's the other way around.

And that is why lower loads are hard to drive.

Did anyone noticed how headphone amps, that deliver the same power into 600 Ohm as 50W/8ohm speaker amps, have way smaller power supplies?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    trellus and bcowen like this.
  14. bcowen
    Thank you for clarifying that. As another example, if anybody here is as old as me and can remember the Apogee Scintilla, it was a wonderful sounding (full size) ribbon speaker that earned the nickname of "amp killer". Its impedance dropped to as low as 1 ohm at some frequencies, and required a huge amount of power (watts) to play loud -- think 500 watts/channel for starters. The lower the impedance (which is a function of resistance), the more current required to drive a speaker or headphone at any given volume.

trellus likes this.
  15. flarex3
    These theoretical calculations usually don't match the reality. The calculation tells us only 0.63 mW is required for 90 dB of loudness and all devices, even all smartphone jacks, can produce that power but most of them can't drive Aeon. Because the actual requirement for good audio quality is much more.

Secondly, power is a function of voltage and current but both the current and the voltage must be sufficent for satisfying sound quality, not just the power. As I know, enough current is essential for good bass response and enough voltage is essential for mids and highs quality.

@mrspeakers What is the neccessary current and voltage the Aeon 2C needs to sound perfectly (loud enough and good quality across all frequencies). I am expecting an answer like X Volts and Y Miliamperes.

trellus and Soundizer like this.
First

Back
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last