The Leben CS300XS Thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,591 of 2,299
Meant to ask...

The Bass boost....
Don't tend to use it on most tracks but on some the +3db is great! and I'm no basshead!..
Looking at the circuit diagram, just wondered if anyone has modded it to give +1db and +3db instead of +3 and +5 ?
Looks to me without doing the Maths that a .68microF cap might be close?
Anyone tried it!?
Just a slight bass boost occasionally might be nice.

??

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,592 of 2,299
Quote:
I bought my Leben cs300xs here in Australia 240volt version $3250 with sovtek power tubes and electroharmonex 12xa7 pre tubes which I have replaced for nos 5751 windmill getters awesome tubes & Philips miniwatts for the power section - I some time use the leben with my Zu Audio Super Soulfly speakers - nice combo. Morbid I have the well tempered simplex - just got back into vinyl again - last time was in the 80's lol.

I hear nothing but praise for Zu's gear.   How are those Soulfly's?  We have a pair of Definitive Tech STS but I am considering selling them.  My wife hates the way they look, and TBH I don't care for them either, they look like something from a dentist's office.   I figure I can recoup at least $2k from selling them (which isn't much less than I paid used) and get something that actually looks nice in the living room.   The Zu's are really attractive, but how do they perform really?  Especially in a low watt situation?  We were looking at the Omen Def MK.I-B since they'll fit nicely on the sides of our living area or maybe the Soulfly's.  I want to be able to turn it up and not have to sit too close, although I know there are always going to be limitations.  Our living area is about 15x25 with 10ft ceilings.

Edit: Sorry for going slightly off-topic, more or less trying to suss out the synergy of Zu speakers with the Leben.

Hi toschek - I'm very happy with Soulflys - I'm currently listening with the older drivers - my hifi dealer will be providing me with the new nano drivers in near future.

I heard the nano drivers previously in a pair of Zu Unions which were outstanding for their price/size. Zu speakers have good detail however their rason de être is their musicality - no joke I had listened to some BW 802 prior to the Zu's they were beautiful sounding incredible detail. Where IMO the Zu's floored the 802's was in musicality - I felt like I was in a live venue and kept wanting to tap my feet. (neither of above sets of speakers were paired with a leben amp)

In terms of power as Morbid pointed out earlier the Leben can drive the Superflys very very loud - I dont dare turn volume up to max with my TT as I'm sure the windows would break.

Regarding room size check out Zu's website as they have recommended room min/max for each speaker.

I recently listened again to my Fostex TH900 with Leben cs300xs with WT Simplex through Clearaudio phono stage nano. Sounded very impressive.

Good luck in your Leben hunt! The catch will be worth it.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #1,593 of 2,299

Why did they make that change? Was it to accommodate higher impedance cans?

Quote:

Mine was produced in the late 2010 and got the 1,3Kohm resisitor..soo i guess they just randomly install them?

Resistors:

They have two versions. 

Leben informed me that they make the "high output" version on special order. Probably the dealers made some "random decisions"

The lower output version ensures that there isn't any hum with any phones - but then it really doesnt have the same amount of grunt :wink:

The humming varies a bit with tubes and mains condition I think. At least mine seem to do so. The hum is sometimes possible to ignore with the HD650, sometimes not. I really need to get a tech to install a second output with the other resistors....

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,595 of 2,299
Quote:

Ahhh Your unit must be the one with either 1.4Kohm or 1.3Kohm headphone out resistor. Try listening to some older CS300XS with the 270ohm resistor, you will probably change your opinion. It's actually not a mod though the older CS300 series all have the 270ohm resistor in it, but a light hummm can be heard when using high impedance headphones.

beerchug.gif

ps.any chance of taking a pic of the CS300XS bottom?

I think the important issue with regards to the humming is sensitivity rather than impedance. Anything below, say 95 dB should be practically hum-free on my unit on my AC with my tubes, I guess. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,596 of 2,299
My ATH-W3000ANVs have a sensitivity of 102 dB and I have never heard them hum either.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,598 of 2,299
For the higher output model, how much volume do you need to dial for a normal listening level? I know this is subjective, but make a shot.
I normally just listen at 9 o'clock and 10 only for s short while for some specially nice songs.
Here I am trying to know is mine higher output or lower one.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,599 of 2,299
What cans are you using?

Best way to find out is to open it up on the buttom and identify the resistors. Take a picture :) 
Quote:
For the higher output model, how much volume do you need to dial for a normal listening level? I know this is subjective, but make a shot.
I normally just listen at 9 o'clock and 10 only for s short while for some specially nice songs.
Here I am trying to know is mine higher output or lower one.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,601 of 2,299
My experience with the Leben CS-600 is that the hum is present with higher sensitivity cans (W3000 and HD-650) while silent with lower sensitivity models (LCD-3 & HE-6). My conclusion is that the CS-300SX and the CS-600 are primarily designed to drive loudspeakers but offer a headphone output as a convenience. I purchased my unit from an authorized dealer in April of 2012.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,604 of 2,299
Quote:
I think the hum might be AC dependent. The Leben is designed in Japan (100V / 60Hz ) and since they do not have access to wall AC they never get to test it in "real-life 230 V" conditions. Same thing with some American stuff in Europe.  

My Leben is powered by a Power Plant Premier, pure, unadulterated AC, although you might have a point whereby the factory is not able to test the amp on the bench without using a step-up transformer. The EAR HP4 on the other hand, a dedicated headphone amp, is manufactured in the UK and exhibits a dead silent background no matter which can I plug into it. A Leben, for what the dealers charge for one (no discounting whatsoever) should also be as quiet as a church mouse no matter what sensitivity headphone it is asked to power. This "idiosyncracy" is my biggest complaint against the unit. In fairness though, it sounds magical with Harbeth speakers.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,605 of 2,299
Quote:

My Leben is powered by a Power Plant Premier, pure, unadulterated AC, although you might have a point whereby the factory is not able to test the amp on the bench without using a step-up transformer. The EAR HP4 on the other hand, a dedicated headphone amp, is manufactured in the UK and exhibits a dead silent background no matter which can I plug into it. A Leben, for what the dealers charge for one (no discounting whatsoever) should also be as quiet as a church mouse no matter what sensitivity headphone it is asked to power. This "idiosyncracy" is my biggest complaint against the unit. In fairness though, it sounds magical with Harbeth speakers.

Well, in an ideal world you would not have to own the Powerplant :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back