The Leben CS300XS Thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,561 of 2,299
I bought my CS-300 used for $2K.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #1,562 of 2,299
Quote:
I bought my CS-300 used for $2K.

You're killing me man.   I have some beautiful 94dB speakers and no amp, I want to sell my Lyr and all the tubes I have and buy a Leben RIGHT NOW.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #1,564 of 2,299
MorbidToaster -

With the Sennheiser HD800 what is a comfortable listening level on your dial?  I have read varying reports on how much headroom vs. move to room on the volume control there is.  

How difficult is it to set a Japanese one up for 110v vs. 100v?  Is a step-down transformer viable?  I have a friend who lives in Tokyo that could possibly get me a 300XS and bring it back to the states when he visits us in the fall.

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,565 of 2,299
I didn't find there to really be any trouble finding a reasonable level with the HD800.

I could see it being 'slightly too quiet' to 'slightly too loud' step wise for some people though.

Quote:
MorbidToaster -

With the Sennheiser HD800 what is a comfortable listening level on your dial?  I have read varying reports on how much headroom vs. move to room on the volume control there is.  

How difficult is it to set a Japanese one up for 110v vs. 100v?  Is a step-down transformer viable?  I have a friend who lives in Tokyo that could possibly get me a 300XS and bring it back to the states when he visits us in the fall.

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,566 of 2,299
I listen at slightly too quiet for most people. Or slightly too loud and then run back to the amp and turn it down.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #1,569 of 2,299
So how about a step down transformer or step down & line conditioner? I wouldn't want to run a 100v device right off the wall, but would a step down radically effect SQ?

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,570 of 2,299
So how about a step down transformer or step down & line conditioner? I wouldn't want to run a 100v device right off the wall, but would a step down radically effect SQ?

PS I am quite happy with my Lyr, it is just great with headphones ... but I have speakers in the closet, I get sick of being on a leash sometimes & our HT just does not cut it. My Marantz needs serious work and I never really loved the sound of it either, so no point in repairing that :frowning2:

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #1,571 of 2,299
I bought my Leben cs300xs here in Australia 240volt version $3250 with sovtek power tubes and electroharmonex 12xa7 pre tubes which I have replaced for nos 5751 windmill getters awesome tubes & Philips miniwatts for the power section - I some time use the leben with my Zu Audio Super Soulfly speakers - nice combo. Morbid I have the well tempered simplex - just got back into vinyl again - last time was in the 80's lol.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,572 of 2,299
Quote:
I bought my Leben cs300xs here in Australia 240volt version $3250 with sovtek power tubes and electroharmonex 12xa7 pre tubes which I have replaced for nos 5751 windmill getters awesome tubes & Philips miniwatts for the power section - I some time use the leben with my Zu Audio Super Soulfly speakers - nice combo. Morbid I have the well tempered simplex - just got back into vinyl again - last time was in the 80's lol.

Good choice on the speakers and TT. Great stuff.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,573 of 2,299
I know this is an odd request, but are there any 300XS owners in the bay area who'd be willing to demo for me in exchange for a nice bottle of vino? I really want to buy but I'd kinda like to hear one first ...

PM if interested, thank you :beerchug:

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,575 of 2,299
Quote:

I hear nothing but praise for Zu's gear.   How are those Soulfly's?  We have a pair of Definitive Tech STS but I am considering selling them.  My wife hates the way they look, and TBH I don't care for them either, they look like something from a dentist's office.   I figure I can recoup at least $2k from selling them (which isn't much less than I paid used) and get something that actually looks nice in the living room.   The Zu's are really attractive, but how do they perform really?  Especially in a low watt situation?  We were looking at the Omen Def MK.I-B since they'll fit nicely on the sides of our living area or maybe the Soulfly's.  I want to be able to turn it up and not have to sit too close, although I know there are always going to be limitations.  Our living area is about 15x25 with 10ft ceilings.

Edit: Sorry for going slightly off-topic, more or less trying to suss out the synergy of Zu speakers with the Leben.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back