The Leben CS300XS Thread
Mar 10, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,576 of 2,299
I drive BD-Design speakers with my Leben CS300Xs and they play very well. Mine are not the usual horn-loaded speakers that Bert Doppenberg at BD Design sells, but a variation of an open baffle design he referred to as Quasar II. His horns are very efficient and the bass is sub-amped so the Leben has more than enough power to get real-world listening levels. The driver doing the mid and high end in mine is the Lowther PM5A (extremely powerful magnet) with solid silver voice coils (and no Hi-Ferric for those who know). These speakers sound very good, better to me than most of those mentioned so far on this site (I've not heard the Zu). I play mostly vinyl and through the excellent Leben phono stage.

I have two pairs of headphones, old (and not top of the line) Bayerdynamics and Sennheiser's. I use an admittedly cheap adapter between the small plug end on these headphones and the Leben, so perhaps that is the reason why I prefer to listen over speakers, but if any of you have heard BD-Design speakers and know of better sounding headphones (and cables) then please let me know. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.     

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,577 of 2,299
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 300x -- anyone heard these with Harbeth M30.1s? The Leben would be a straight swap with my beloved Lux.

best,

o

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,579 of 2,299
I auditioned the Superfly when I was looking to get new speakers and they weren't up to snuff compared to the SHL5, but then again I think the Superfly is significantly cheaper. 

Overall I really like Zu stuff. I see a pair of Omens in my future for a second system. As for how well they pair with low wattage? They're basically made for it. They have some wonky impedances like 12 ohms, but they're 97db at 12 ohms. You should have absolutely no problem powering them with even 4 watts or so. 

They look and sound great for the money. If you want a taste, see if you can get an 'Omen Dirty Weekend'. Last I heard they were like...1k. Basically refurb drivers in a new cabinet. 

You'd blow the roof off with the Leben's 15wpc.

Quote:
I hear nothing but praise for Zu's gear.   How are those Soulfly's?  We have a pair of Definitive Tech STS but I am considering selling them.  My wife hates the way they look, and TBH I don't care for them either, they look like something from a dentist's office.   I figure I can recoup at least $2k from selling them (which isn't much less than I paid used) and get something that actually looks nice in the living room.   The Zu's are really attractive, but how do they perform really?  Especially in a low watt situation?  We were looking at the Omen Def MK.I-B since they'll fit nicely on the sides of our living area or maybe the Soulfly's.  I want to be able to turn it up and not have to sit too close, although I know there are always going to be limitations.  Our living area is about 15x25 with 10ft ceilings.

Edit: Sorry for going slightly off-topic, more or less trying to suss out the synergy of Zu speakers with the Leben.

I'm heard it with the 30.1 and ended up with SHL5s to go with mine. In a decent sized room the combo will sound excellent. How big is your space?

Quote:
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 300x -- anyone heard these with Harbeth M30.1s? The Leben would be a straight swap with my beloved Lux.

best,

o

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,580 of 2,299
300sx on audiogon.com.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,581 of 2,299
Quote:

I'm heard it with the 30.1 and ended up with SHL5s to go with mine. In a decent sized room the combo will sound excellent. How big is your space?

Small room -- 12 x 14. C7ES3s overwhelm it a little (as did the 5s), while minimonitors can sound a little lean. I doubt the Leben will improve on the Lux as a speaker amp, but tempted to try it anyway as an HP/amp to see what the fuss is about.

best,

o

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,582 of 2,299
If you go new on the Leben make sure you get high impedance cans or you'll get noise. As for your room, I bet the 30s would sound excellent in there. I got the HL5s but am actually in a room about your size right now and they're too big but still sound great. 

The new place should fix that issue though. 

Quote:
Small room -- 12 x 14. C7ES3s overwhelm it a little (as did the 5s), while minimonitors can sound a little lean. I doubt the Leben will improve on the Lux as a speaker amp, but tempted to try it anyway as an HP/amp to see what the fuss is about.

best,

o

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #1,583 of 2,299
^^^

Appreciate the tip, MT. This would be a used CS300x. I'd be driving W3000ANVs and HD800s. Hmm. Maybe I'll rethink this. In the meantime enjoy your Harbs! Can't wait for the arrival of my 30.1s -- that tiger ebony finish seems to be backordered halfway into next year,

thanks again and best,

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,584 of 2,299
Quote:
^^^

Appreciate the tip, MT. This would be a used CS300x. I'd be driving W3000ANVs and HD800s. Hmm. Maybe I'll rethink this. In the meantime enjoy your Harbs! Can't wait for the arrival of my 30.1s -- that tiger ebony finish seems to be backordered halfway into next year,

thanks again and best,

They'll be worth the wait. They're wonderful. As for the W3000ANV why not try an impedance adapter? The HD800 was my favorite can with the Leben.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,585 of 2,299
Quote:
Quote:
^^^

thanks again and best,

They'll be worth the wait. They're wonderful. As for the W3000ANV why not try an impedance adapter? The HD800 was my favorite can with the Leben.

Was?....It is a matter of time before you get another pair....
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,587 of 2,299
Quote:
Quote:
Was?....It is a matter of time before you get another pair....
wink.gif

I meant when I heard then at the meet. I plan in getting a pair ASAP, but there are still significant upgrades to be made to my rig before there's money for headphones...Like a sexy ZP3.

Good point! Are you sticking with the 10X5? I love that series myself.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,588 of 2,299
Maybe slightly off topic, but how would be using one of these with the Leben and HD800 http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=104 ?  Is there really no need?   I have been reading a lot about using speaker amps as headphone amps, and it is supposed to work particularly well with the HD800 and HE-6.   I am very curious as to whether one of these would go well with the Leben or if I would be better off sticking to the headphone jack.

I realize this entails buying a balanced cable, which I had intended to do anyway, and for that  I was looking at the Double Helix Molecule (OCC) w/ Neutrik 4 Pin XLR and XLR to 1/4" adapter.   I am just curious as to how good/bad it would be with the Leben.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,589 of 2,299
No. Thinking about going back to a 20XH. It's damn near perfect for the ZP3. Wouldn't need a stupid step up transformer. The 10X5 is a great match, too...but a 450 dollar cart on a 3k table is like throwing money down the drain.
Quote:
Good point! Are you sticking with the 10X5? I love that series myself.

No need. The Leben's out was more than enough.
Quote:
Maybe slightly off topic, but how would be using one of these with the Leben and HD800 http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=104 ?  Is there really no need?   I have been reading a lot about using speaker amps as headphone amps, and it is supposed to work particularly well with the HD800 and HE-6.   I am very curious as to whether one of these would go well with the Leben or if I would be better off sticking to the headphone jack.

I realize this entails buying a balanced cable, which I had intended to do anyway, and for that  I was looking at the Double Helix Molecule (OCC) w/ Neutrik 4 Pin XLR and XLR to 1/4" adapter.   I am just curious as to how good/bad it would be with the Leben.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back