The Leben CS300XS Thread
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,621 of 2,299
Others have tried powering the HE-6s via the speaker taps.  Hopefully they will chime in at some point.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,622 of 2,299
Quote:

What can I say? The HE-6 is a TOTL headphone and we both know it. Frankly however, you might be better off with the HE-500/Leben combo since IMHO, the CS-300XS doesn't have the cajones to drive the 6 to its full potential.

How about through speaker taps on the Leben or other low wattage amp?   I'm kind of interested in the HE-6 the more I read about it.  Sorry for going OT :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,623 of 2,299
Quote:

Mmm. But I can plug it into the speaker taps of my Creek 5350SE maybe?

Have you compared the CD300 and hE-6 using speaker taps to your favorite HE-6 combo?

Yeah, no doubt the Creek has the necessary juice, especially directly from the taps. You still have the Cary? I would attach two 10 ohm Mills resistors in parallel, one to each of the the 8 ohm speaker terminals and plug the HE-6 directly into the taps. That would provide you with almost 7 wpc into the 50 ohm load which should be more than sufficient. Try each amp and decide which has better synergy with the HE-6. At a "reasonable" listening level, my money is on the Cary.

Don't own any Sony cans.

To stay on topic, doncha all think Leben makes some very musical gear?

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,624 of 2,299
Quote:

How about through speaker taps on the Leben or other low wattage amp?   I'm kind of interested in the HE-6 the more I read about it.  Sorry for going OT :)

The problem with doing this is not enough wattage to properly drive the power hungry HE-6. HiFi Man's own EF-6 amp, specifically designed for the HE-6, delivers 5wpc so let's use that as a baseline. From the 8 ohm speaker terminals of the CS300XS, with 10 ohm resistors attached in parallel to equalize the load, the HE-6 is only gonna see about 2 1/2 wpc. That just won't cut it! When you read a negative review of the HE-6, most likely the reviewer used an underpowered amplifier.

The only low wattage amps known to properly drive the HE-6 must be of a high current design such as a Nelson Pass F1 or a Bakoon Amp 11-R.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,626 of 2,299
Quote:
Others have tried powering the HE-6s via the speaker taps.  Hopefully they will chime in at some point.

I did, sounded great, but there is some concern it's not good for the output transformers, so I stopped.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,628 of 2,299
Quote:

I did, sounded great, but there is some concern it's not good for the output transformers, so I stopped.

Elaborate, please? 

Mr Roberts is talking abou putting some resistors in between..

Yeah, no doubt the Creek has the necessary juice, especially directly from the taps. You still have the Cary? I would attach two 10 ohm Mills resistors in parallel, one to each of the the 8 ohm speaker terminals and plug the HE-6 directly into the taps. That would provide you with almost 7 wpc into the 50 ohm load which should be more than sufficient. Try each amp and decide which has better synergy with the HE-6. At a "reasonable" listening level, my money is on the Cary.

Don't own any Sony cans.

To stay on topic, doncha all think Leben makes some very musical gear?

Yes, Mr. Roberts - I have the Cary - but it is hooked up to speakers in the living room, so plugging in the HE6 is not very practical...

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,629 of 2,299
Quote:

Planning on any speakers with the MKIII at all? That's mainly what I bought my Leben for. I wouldn't pay 4k for one as just a headamp.

I think I'm going to pick up a pair of Parker 95 MKIIs and put them on cinder blocks on my desk (made from a 2" thick 70" wide piece of butcher block on tempered steel hairpin legs == completely inert).   They fit the room and get great testimonals on musicality.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #1,630 of 2,299
Quote:

The problem is a simple one, impedance mismatch. Without resistors connected to the speaker terminals to equalize the load, undue stress is placed on the transformers and valves. I know this from first hand experience and is an issue with tubed amplifiers as opposed to SS. The sound will go wonky in short order, at least it did on my BAT, which is not as delicate a piece of gear as a Leben.

You are one of the few with impeccable credentials on this site. Surprised you find the low wattage CS300XS and the HE-6 sympatico. The HE-6 sounds nice from the headphone output of the Leben CS-600 but that amp has twice the power.

What other amps have you listened to the HE-6 with and how would you stack rank them including your Leben?

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,631 of 2,299
Quote:

Elaborate, please? 

Mr Roberts is talking abou putting some resistors in between..

See post to Skylab.

Yes, Mr. Roberts - I have the Cary - but it is hooked up to speakers in the living room, so plugging in the HE6 is not very practical...

I have the same issue with my BAT and you're right, it is impractical to switch back and forth. Fortunately, I have the Leben for music and a Theta multi-channel for HT.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #1,632 of 2,299
Quote:

The problem is a simple one, impedance mismatch. Without resistors connected to the speaker terminals to equalize the load, undue stress is placed on the transformers and valves. I know this from first hand experience and is an issue with tubed amplifiers as opposed to SS. The sound will go wonky in short order, at least it did on my BAT, which is not as delicate a piece of gear as a Leben.

You are one of the few with impeccable credentials on this site. Surprised you find the low wattage CS300XS and the HE-6 sympatico. The HE-6 sounds nice from the headphone output of the Leben CS-600 but that amp has twice the power.

What other amps have you listened to the HE-6 with and how would you stack rank them including your Leben?

Oh lordie, MANY. I do really like the Leben but the HE-6 needs more power than the Leben with resistors can provide. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,633 of 2,299
Quote:
You are one of the few with impeccable credentials on this site. Surprised you find the low wattage CS300XS and the HE-6 sympatico. The HE-6 sounds nice from the headphone output of the Leben CS-600 but that amp has twice the power...

Do not confuse the output on the back with the output in the front.. There are probably resistors in the front that really doesnt make more power come through than on the CS300. I've played around with resistors in the output on a Cary Xciter (darn good amp) - (with som skilled help) and changing the resistor can be totally changing everything. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,635 of 2,299
For the HE-6, I almost exclusively use the mighty Pioneer SX-1980. It sounds phenomenal with the HE-6.  But no one would buy one of these monsters just for headphones, I think.  Mine does most of its duty driving speakers.

My main headphone rig these days is the Leben driving the ATH-W3000ANV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back