The Language Thing
Feb 10, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #76 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Too many audiophile-types? What does that mean? Is that supposed to be a negative stereotype? Did they say?

Hehe. I edited that part out of my message, Audio&Me. I realized I shouldn't trivialize the reasons people leave, or publically state the contents or theme of a private e-mail, even if I don't state who wrote it.

But, yes, some people consider being called an "audiophile" to be a negative thing. I'm not one of them.

Feb 10, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #77 of 118
Here is the Chinese forum: http://www.jddsy.com/cgi-bin/nubb/Ul...assCookie=true

Quote:

Joe Bloggs seems to think that all non-english posters can actually understand English: "Then when someone does not post in English we can direct him / her to that part of the Posting Rules. This way (s)he can understand why (s)he should post in English, and we don't need to type out a lengthy explanation every time."

Alright, I'll draft the Chinese version if you want
frown.gif

There will always be new people coming in, oblivious to the Posting Guidelines and posting in Chinese / Welsh / whatever, what we need is a well-written explanation of why only English should be used here.

TerriblySorry, if you look further back you can see that I was against the English-only rule, too.
frown.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 10, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #78 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
But, yes, some people consider being called an "audiophile" to be a negative thing. I'm not one of them.

Oh no! they all think I love sound/music! I can no longer live with myself!!!
eek.gif

/sarcasm...
rolleyes.gif
sorry

Feb 10, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #80 of 118
I think the "issue" is that of degree or tact which comes across poorly with some members.

You can explicitly state that these are obviously English speaking forums and English is the recommended and defacto form of communication.

You can also explicitly state, "English is Mandatory". Both try to say similar things, but there is an issue of degree and tact.

You can actively enforce these rules and we can actively seek and purge all foreign non-english threads.

You can also instead go about and inform people to please use English for obvious reasons.

And the funny thing is, they are all really doing the same thing, it is just an issue of degree and of course tact. I honestly don't believe any of the moderators have commited terribly untactful actions, but I still do wonder if it really would have been possible for it not to end the way it did. But you are right, no one can be prophetic and do everything in a way to appease everyone.

I'm not pointing fingers that any of us has acted in a severely untactful manner, but apparently and unfortunately TerriblySorry does perceive something distasteful to him. I hope he can recognize that at least the moderators are trying to approach this manner with care. Truthfully I did find some points of interest to be unsettling and distasteful, but not from any moderators. I'm obviously not going to point and pick at which posts I find to be an over-reaction or not...I am just of the opinion that there is some over-reaction on both sides which I don't find representative of the overall opinion.

Feb 10, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #81 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
I'm obviously not going to point and pick at which posts I find to be an over-reaction or not...I am just of the opinion that there is some over-reaction on both sides which I don't find representative of the overall opinion.

I'd actually be quite interested in knowing if any of them were mine, you see, English being my second language, degree and tact are among the things that can be a bit difficult from time to time...

Feb 10, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #82 of 118
Quote:

I'm not pointing fingers that any of us has acted in a severely untactful manner, but apparently and unfortunately TerriblySorry does perceive something distasteful to him.

Again, I don't think I'll ever have the gift -- or meet anyone with the gift -- of being able to convince everyone to agree on everything. TerriblySorry disagreed enough to leave. I expected this could happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few others also left over this. Though this doesn't please me, I accept it as a reality.

In an unrelated case, a moderator edited out a racial slur from a post (clearly leaving a mark that it was edited), and the person who posted it thought that act a form of "tyranny". Again, someone is almost always offended over just about any action or opinion open to any amount of public scrutiny. Sometimes that person is me, sometimes it's you, sometimes it's most people, sometimes it's one person. And sometimes it's enough that those offended will split.

I just skimmed the entire thread again, and it still seems to me that, in this case, most of the people seem okay with what was stated in the opening post.

Feb 10, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #83 of 118
Quote:

I thought "Audoiophile" was what we all aspired to. Maybe I'll have to leave now. NAAAHHHH

Some day I;ll reach that level. Now I'm just a hobbiest who loves music.

Quote:

In an unrelated case, a moderator edited out a racial slur from a post (clearly leaving a mark that it was edited), and the person who posted it thought that act a form of "tyranny". Again, someone is almost always offended over just about any action or opinion open to any amount of public scrutiny. Sometimes that person is me, sometimes it's you, sometimes it's most people, sometimes it's one person. And sometimes it's enough that those offended will split.

In an unrelated case, a moderator changed what he considered an "offensive stereotype" in a posting of mine. My reaction was, I'm not exactly sure of the quote, "I'm very sorry. There was no offense intended, and I'll definitely be more concious in the future".

A simple and polite PM to me and back to him. Basically as it should be. As you say, some will take offense at anything just because, You Can't Please Everyone All The Time.

Feb 10, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #84 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso

I thought "Audoiophile" was what we all aspired to. Maybe I'll have to leave now. NAAAHHHH

Some day I;ll reach that level. Now I'm just a hobbiest who loves music.

There's even a dictionary definition of "audiophile":

Quote:

Main Entry: au·dio·phile
Pronunciation: 'o-dE-O-"fIl
Function: noun
Date: 1951
: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

That definition fits a whole bunch of us around here.

Feb 10, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #86 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by TerriblySorry
Morphsci has degenerated, rather pointlessly, into sarcasm: "Have fun on the Chinese language only headphone boards." I don't think there are any - I've certainly never found any, but there are loads of Chinese sites about Stax. (I just look at the pictures - well, it's a start).
rolleyes.gif

Although I agree that my post was sarcastic, I do not consider it pointless. Sarcasm is sometimes the necessary response to overreaction or inappropriate rightous indignation.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #87 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Mumrik

I'd actually be quite interested in knowing if any of them were mine, you see, English being my second language, degree and tact are among the things that can be a bit difficult from time to time...

Well english is my first language but tact is not, but that is usually intentional. I consider myself the Dennis Leary of Head-Fi.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #88 of 118
As jude said we are making a mountain out of a molehill...but if you guys want to be fair then perhaps we can have a poll?

I dont think another language besides English will win because the majority of users here speak and are able to understand English.

Hey if the crowd demands it we could "try" having a forum for other languages
smily_headphones1.gif

No harm in trying right?

Feb 10, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #89 of 118
Quote:

My personal opinion is that people are over-reacting over an over-reaction...

So what you're saying is, it's just like an e-mailing list, where it's not so much the original post that's the problem, but the 10 posts that say "please don't post off topic" or whatever, and the hundred that say "responding to off-topic posts to request on-topicness is off-topic", and then the thousand that say "no it isn't" or "yes it is" [size=xx-small]and then the 10,000 that say "nyah" or "w00t!" or whatever...[/size]

Feb 10, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #90 of 118
Why is everyone so wishy-washy. What they did was plain rude. It was a slap in the face. They came into a board in which postings are open to all, and then proceeded to hold private conversations in front of everyone. That is not nice. There should be a rule, if for no other reason than to prevent people from whining the next time a mod closes such a thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back