The Language Thing
Feb 10, 2002 at 11:12 AM Post #106 of 118
You guys keep pointing out what is *rude*, yet seem to forget they have already stopped and offered apology LONG ago when told. And yet we are still caught up on how rude they are? I think that in itself is rude...can we stop now? Continually pointing out an incidental mistake long after it has been apologized for isn't much for manners either.

Feb 10, 2002 at 11:14 AM Post #107 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
You guys keep pointing out what is *rude*, yet seem to forget they have already stopped and offered apology LONG ago when told. And yet we are still caught up on how rude they are? I think that in itself is rude...can we stop now? Continually pointing out an incidental mistake long after it has been apologized for isn't much for manners either.

I was not referring to the people who posted in Chinese, I was referring to the people in this thread who took everything a bit too personally.

Feb 10, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #108 of 118
I'm not referring to you mcbiff, I'm just wondering why there seems to be an argument with these folks as if they are even arguing back? They have LONG stopped, and apologized at least two days ago. And people are somehow arguing against some imaginary identity as if they are continually posting in a foreign language and are trying to argue about defending their national identity/language or are accusing moderators of being arrogant...*newsflash* they haven't done ANY of that.

I see two reactionary problems...people who are acting as legal defense lawyers for folks that never asked for any. People misdirecting argument and anger against these folks as if they ever *wanted* to argue.

Feb 10, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #109 of 118
Can someone point me towards some important turning points where moderators made a representative statement to the Chinese newcomers, and where they apologized?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 10, 2002 at 11:43 AM Post #110 of 118
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=7513

Apology was made 2-06-02. How many days can you count where there are continual all-Chinese threads occuring *after* this apology? Interestingly enough how many days of Chinese postings was there before the apology?

Finally how many days are we still arguing about this?

Feb 10, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #111 of 118
This thread is still going? Why?

fredpb, again, a foreign language sub-forum within Head-Fi isn't going to happen in the forseeable future (probably never), and for the reasons I stated several times in this thread now.

If there is sufficient demand for a forum on headphone hi-fi for any other specific languages, then it's my suggestion that someone, in each of those languages for which the demand is sufficient, starts an entirely separate headphone hi-fi forum web site specifically for each of those languages.

I'm really surprised this discussion is still going. Simply re-read my first post in this thread (the one that begins the thread), and I don't think it's such a big deal at all. The moderators need a set of guidelines to moderate by. That's why I made the announcement. How it got to where we are now in this thread I have no idea.

Feb 10, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #112 of 118
Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz......

Oops, wrong forum
wink.gif

I've only read pages 1,2 and 6 of this thread, things seemed far too heavy for my liking...

At the end of the day now everything is resolved, let me just put one very final spin on things... and this is NOT with the intent of causing more uproar, just simply my (admittedly very late) view on things

You're working in a shop in whichever country you live in, a foreigner comes in picks up some goods, and then goes to pay with there native currency...

what are you going to do?

Feb 10, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #113 of 118
Er... accept their payment at a favourable exchange rate?
tongue.gif

Seriously, HK$ and RMB are accepted both in HK and Guangzhou to a certain extent
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 10, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #114 of 118
Now, I don't feel my freedom of speech is challenged because I have to post in English and not Spanish, so, as a foreign language speaker, I don't see a problem. Besides, nobody is pointing a gun to my head at this very moment to make sure I type in English.

Dear friends, I think this whole thing is getting too big and it's not even that important. Can we please move on? If Joe wants to help the Chinese speaking people, I think that's very nice of him, and if someone need some info in Spanish, I'll be happy to help. But, please oh please, stop turning this whole thing into a political/racial discussion. It is not. The whole thing is about a bunch of guys having fun here in their own language, they were told to do it in English so the most users could participate and some did not like it. End of story, let's go to the next chapter. I believe we have more important things to discuss. And if someone feels that they have to leave the place for whatever reason, then do it. But first think about it friends, and perhaps you'll see it's not that important.

Now, I have to leave, my ex girlfriend is reading the news on TV and I am going to have fun counting all the mistakes she makes. And by the way, I am not going to be chauvinistic, just resentful
very_evil_smiley.gif
at someone who turned my life into a living hell.

Take care everyone.

Feb 10, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #115 of 118
You guys, this thread should have ended five pages ago.

Let me sum this all up for you.

Scene: new foreign head-fiers post a few threads in their native language.

Reaction: what's with all these scrambled up characters, I can't read that. Keep it ENGLISH please.

Counteraction: it's unfair for those who can't communicate because they don't know english very well. Why not a multilingual forum?

General concensus: head-fi is entirely in english, the majority speak only english, because jude says so, don't contest that. What's the point of asking a question in your language to be more "comfortable" if nobody can understand what the hell you are trying to ask? Common sense is needed.

Joe Bloggs, you should post a thread in chinese (jude, I hope you let him do this) to let the chinese community know where to turn to for translation/interpretation help. I think that you volunteering as a contact is great, solves a lot of unnecessary problems, and makes it easier on some people.

Feb 10, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #117 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwei
Lock this thread?

please do, this is going nowhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back