"The Lab"
Jun 12, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #8,687 of 20,136
my parents are both 84 yrs.old. I went to visit one day and my father was at his computer trying to listen to a video from utube. The volume was very low and it was barely sudible. I had been up late one night and bid on a modi dac. The starting bid was $10.00 so I placed the bid. Low & behold 6 days later no one else bid and I got the thing for 10.00. I plugged that into my fathers p/c with an old ifi nano that had been in my closet along with a pair of grado sr80e headphones. My father was amazed at the sound he was hearing. Now whenever I visit my father or mother are always at the computer listening to frank Sinatra or dean Martin. This hobby has ibecome a passion for me and has changed the way I listen to music and even what I listen to. To share that with my parents and see them enjoy it is a wonderful experience. Props to my fellow head-fiers who have given me advice and guys who offer their free time doing reviews that helped me time and time again.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #8,689 of 20,136
Vince it was from your a73 review that I got my impressions vs a83.

Seems you and Bill hear them quite differently.
I guess he has had lot less time with them to form a clearer opinion.

definitely, I only listened to two or three songs, I would most certainly like to listen to each of them more extensively and develop a more informed opinion of both of them.  I liked them both and would be comfortable putting money up to purchase either one.  Right now, based on my listening last night, if money weren't an issue I'd likely buy the 83s, however, since I have a wife and two kids and money is an issue the 73s would be a more likely purchase.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #8,690 of 20,136
..Right now, based on my listening last night, if money weren't an issue I'd likely buy the 83s, however, since I have a wife and two kids and money is an issue the 73s would be a more likely purchase.

Same boat friend. Seems Titans were a hurried mistake for me. Little too peaky and dry on my aging ears. Lush mids with smooth but sparkly highs are my preference. Hoping to get it right this time.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #8,691 of 20,136
A company called Apogee released a small usb dac that looks interesting.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove

I am stoked about this product. Their audio interface was so good that people purchased it to use it as an amp/dac despite the fact that it was an audio recording tool. They are that good

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet   That was the interface people bought. I am glad apogee made a standalone amp and dac. I wonder how it compares to the duet. Regardless its high on my list of amp/dacs to get along with the GO V2

Edit: Holy smokes it can drive the HD800 by itself dayummmmmmm

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #8,692 of 20,136
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove

I am stoked about this product. Their audio interface was so good that people purchased it to use it as an amp/dac despite the fact that it was an audio recording tool. They are that good

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet   That was the interface people bought. I am glad apogee made a standalone amp and dac. I wonder how it compares to the duet. Regardless its high on my list of amp/dacs to get along with the GO V2

Everything i have read has been positive

Edit: Holy smokes it can drive the HD800 by itself dayummmmmmm

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #8,693 of 20,136
A company called Apogee released a small usb dac that looks interesting.

any product links or information you can share?

Lachlan got one. Here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=429679940548350&substory_index=0&id=161940560655624&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.429679940548350&__tn__=%2As

I got it! The Apogee Electronics Groove. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that on immediate impression, Nwavguy might have overstated things. A very low damping factor doesn't *always* sound bad, and in fact doesn't really seem all that discernible with the gear that I've tried on the Groove so far. I would actually say it might be making the Audio Technica ATH-R70x sound quite nice and agreeable, since I suspect the R70x might be, if anything, overdamped. I'll have to do some more listening.

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #8,696 of 20,136
Hey buddy, thanks for hanging out last night!

Everyone welcome Bill to "The Lab"!

Welcome to the Lab, Bill.

Now show us YOUR lab...

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #8,699 of 20,136
Why was he banned?

For a couple reasons, he reviewed a good amount of stuff and some of the things he reviewed were sponors here. And he tells it like it is and i believe some of the sponors didnt like that. He also put a link for his crowd sourcing account for donations to buy review products and they didnt like that either.

I actually like him very much he doesnt like to take demo unit's to review he believes it subconsciously makes reviewers have more positive feelings about the product, for instance if you give a bad review you may never see another product from that company. He gets alot of donations for his YouTube channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back