"The Lab"
Oct 1, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #12,827 of 20,136
  Okay, this is a first for me. I was A-Bing the Brainwavz S0, and got a good reading, channels matching, and a graph that matches what I'm hearing:

But then the strangest thing happened when I was measuring the S3. I measured the left channel, and did get a much leaner sound than the S3 (as I was expecting) but when I measured the right channel I got a line very similar to the S0. I thought it was a mistake so I remeasured the S3 six times on both channels and got the same results. The graph would indicate that there is a major channel imbalance. But God as my witness, I swear I don't hear any imbalance when I pop them in my ears. I swapped channels to see if they sounded any different. Nope! I even ran test loops and they match up, and they did. I haven't had a phenomena like this since I got the Veritas. Here's the graph:

I seriously don't get it. I mean, it explains why I might be hearing something different than TBG, but I swear I don't hear any kind of channel imbalance like that when I listen to them. Is it maybe because of the jack of the S3 is made for Iphone  and not working with my Startech interface maybe? I tried using a male to female cable in between and got the same results.

Guys, any ideas why this would happen?

Vince try playing a vocal track with deep male vocals and see if the image is center, left or right.  If it's not center - then one of the drivers is well out.  I've had that sort of thing before, and sometimes you can think nothing is wrong - just that stereo imaging is wider than normal.

The other thing to do is grab a test tone - make sure volume is low - and play the tone while wearing the S3.  If you use a 100 hz tone, you'll hear it straight away.

Once you recognise what is happening, it's really easy to spot for the future - something will just seem "off" when you're listening to your favourite tracks.

Same thing happened to me with Duke sample.  I spotted it straight away (something not right) but took a while to figure out it was the channels.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #12,828 of 20,136
Throw my measurements in there too if you don't mind. Mine are pretty extreme.

I mentioned that you were also having issues and that we posted measurements in The Lab thread. I'm not going to post them in the S3 thread until I hear back.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #12,830 of 20,136
It happens sometimes - even with really top notch manufacturers.  Just one of those things.  The reason I never reviewed the Brainwavz Deltas when everyone else was - both pairs I received (original and replacement) arrived with channel imbalance.  At that stage we both agreed for a budget IEM, it simply wasn't worth continuing.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #12,831 of 20,136
  I think I looked at those (hyper cloud) online, but ended up passing cause they seemed to be marketed towards gaming, and I wasn't too sure if the tuning had been tweaked for that.
It is too bad the Pro-80 are being axed. Maybe it means that something better is on the horizon? A Pro 90 perhaps. Are the 2050 still available?

I am not sure about the details about the takstar models, I heard about them being discontinued from @peter123  Hmm now I am paranoid if my hyper cloud one is different from the original Pro 80 tuning. I had gemini HSR 1000 but it was long time back and I ended up returning it. 

This is the specific one that I purchased: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=088078&cPath=569_1215

These are the rest of the hyperx gaming headphones which are priced differently. I hope I didn't get a gaming skewed one :frowning2:  http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hyperx%20cloud%20&page=1&sort=3a

No return on headphones either lol damn

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #12,832 of 20,136
IMO, LG G4 was an unsuccessful attempt for being an upgrade to LG G3. It was side-grade and couldn't achieve the goal. The only thing I found to be better on the LG G4 was the low light shooting capability.

I can speak confidently because one of the early testers in my country was my friend and I had a chance to test it side by side with my LG G3.

Now this new offering from LG really got my attention.

I am HYPED
wink_face.gif

My wallet reserved...

Say hi to LG V10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=132&v=ELD_6aeHGKQ

Some highlights:

316L stainless steel frame
5.7” QHD Screen
Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 SoC, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of expandable memory via microSD card slot which is compatible with cards of up to 2TB!!!  (compatibility for card is same on LG G3 :wink:
32 bit Hi-Fi DAC by ESS Technology*, designers of high-performance audio products for professionals. The LG V10 automatically detects connected devices and provides sound control options which can be customized (a possibility for lineout?).

(* Couldn't find detailed specs for the chip but possibly this could be a ESS 9018 chip with 384kHz / 32bitPCM audio decoding)

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #12,833 of 20,136
  IMO, LG G4 was an unsuccessful attempt for being an upgrade to LG G3. It was side-grade and couldn't achieve the goal. The only thing I found to be better on the LG G4 was the low light shooting capability.

I can speak confidently because one of the early testers in my country was my friend and I had a chance to test it side by side with my LG G3.

Now this new offering from LG really got my attention.

I am HYPED
wink_face.gif

My wallet reserved...

Say hi to LG V10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=132&v=ELD_6aeHGKQ

Some highlights:

316L stainless steel frame
5.7” QHD Screen
Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 SoC, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of expandable memory via microSD card slot which is compatible with cards of up to 2TB!!!  (compatibility for card is same on LG G3 :wink:
32 bit Hi-Fi DAC by ESS Technology*, designers of high-performance audio products for professionals. The LG V10 automatically detects connected devices and provides sound control options which can be customized (a possibility for lineout?).

(* Couldn't find detailed specs for the chip but possibly this could be a ESS 9018 chip with 384kHz / 32bitPCM audio decoding)

You're welcome!

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v10-7606.php

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #12,836 of 20,136
Guys I've got a question for you :

I'm listening to a pair of headphones and I'm starting to believe that there's something wrong with them.

Voices are really distant and hollow and have kind of a echo to them. To be honest it sounds as if one driver is slightly ahead of the other. Anyone have experience with this and any idea how to troubleshoot?

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #12,837 of 20,136
Guys I've got a question for you :

I'm listening to a pair of headphones and I'm starting to believe that there's something wrong with them.

Voices are really distant and hollow and have kind of a echo to them. To be honest it sounds as if one driver is slightly ahead of the other. Anyone have experience with this and any idea how to troubleshoot?

Phase issue?

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #12,839 of 20,136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back