"The Lab"
Aug 7, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #11,116 of 20,136

Yes most definitely! Imagine the customizability options :)  Also, I have had the Oppo PM3 on for several hours now and while the sound is slowly growing on me, despite my initial disappointment, the one thing I like is how they feel on my head. Like pillows. Most comfortable over ear I have have ever used. 

I was looking into the Mr Speakers gear but since they are being discontinued, would like to avoid that, issues of future support etc. Plus I don't necessarily want to pay that much for a t50rp mod :p (despite me lusting after the ZMF Vibro and Blackwood lol). 

Now I am gonna be looking for this comfort for my over ear purchase. That kind of rules out the EL8 close back right? Heavy as heck I would imagine. I still want to have a listen to it however. 

I can't get over how comfy the PM3 is :D

Keep listening, they will change.

Which one, PM-3?  If so, change in what way?  More clarity/details (a bit of wishful thinking)?  How many hours did you have before you noticed a sound settled in?  With EL-8C I was happy after 200hr burn in lol!!!

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #11,117 of 20,136
  Hello Paul, I think you had mentioned the AKG K553 closed back as a good option for me a while back. Just curious if you reviewed these and how they sound compared to my open back 702's? Really considering the MassDrop special for $119
biggrin.gif
THX

Wish I still had the K702s to compare.

I bought the 553's because the price was too good to turn down.  I love them!  Favourite closed back so far.  They're in the queue to review - but might be a while yet.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #11,118 of 20,136

Considering you LOVE bright detailed sound, "a touch of sibilance" from Paul's first impression is a bit alarming to me lol!!!  But I will leave my final judgement until I get these in my hands, I mean my ears :)  Should be any day now, through review might take awhile before I can get to it...  Got over 12 review products in queue again :frowning2:

Only had 20 minutes with them Alex, and that was with a pair of stock tips.  FWIW, I quite liked the sound from the brief listen :)

I know what you mean about review queues - mine getting quite long too.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #11,119 of 20,136

Which one, PM-3?  If so, change in what way?  More clarity/details (a bit of wishful thinking)?  How many hours did you have before you noticed a sound settled in?  With EL-8C I was happy after 200hr burn in lol!!!

@twister6 PM3's; I think they are Source/Dac dependent myself. They sound really good with my AK100ii (CS4398), and AP100 (CS4398). A little more to the warm dark side with AK120 (Dual Wolfson WM8740),HM802 (WM8740). I also have the PM2's which are a warm HP, but I really like them. I think because the Oppo sound tends to lean towards a mId warm sound with slightly rolled off highs when you pair them with the Warmer sounding DAC like the Wolfson they sound even darker. just my observation. Both of them are addicting to listen to though, and oh so comfortable. I can wear them for hours. Everyone has their own preferences though. To each his own.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #11,121 of 20,136

@twister6 PM3's; I think they are Source/Dac dependent myself. They sound really good with my AK100ii (CS4398), and AP100 (CS4398). A little more to the warm dark side with AK120 (Dual Wolfson WM8740),HM802 (WM8740). I also have the PM2's which are a warm HP, but I really like them. I think because the Oppo sound tends to lean towards a mId warm sound with slightly rolled off highs when you pair them with the Warmer sounding DAC like the Wolfson they sound even darker. just my observation. Both of them are addicting to listen to though, and oh so comfortable. I can wear them for hours. Everyone has their own preferences though. To each his own.

I noticed this dependency as well.  It sounds more detailed out of N6 but not as much from X1 (my burn in "warm" beater).  Need to check other DAPs.  Also, to my surprise, it sounds great from HO of my Note 4, through I have to push the volume almost to the max.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #11,122 of 20,136

I bought the 553's because the price was too good to turn down.  I love them!  Favourite closed back so far.  They're in the queue to review - but might be a while yet.

THX, that is enough for me to join this drop. By all that I have read I think we border on taste. I light clean, clear and concise signature with solid controlled bass free of boom. Been sitting here this morning enjoying "I Robot" on this 4th Gen Touch/Topping NX2 and Hyperion's and thinking if it were all I could afford this system could suit me just fine for years I mean it could be my stuck on an island rig for sure
wink_face.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #11,123 of 20,136

I noticed this dependency as well.  It sounds more detailed out of N6 but not as much from X1 (my burn in "warm" beater).  Need to check other DAPs.  Also, to my surprise, it sounds great from HO of my Note 4, through I have to push the volume almost to the max.

@twister6 yes, they will perform with low power , but  I am finding that the more power you give them the better they perform. They will "perk-up" when they are amped. These are my first venture into Planars also, I have been considering HifIman HD560 or 400s just to see if there is a much different sound signature, but need to hold off for a few weeks(months) Ha!

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #11,124 of 20,136
What ho, Lab folks. Question of the day… Is it really worth paying $26.10 CAD for 2 pairs of Spin Fits? (CTC Audio). I know quite a few folks have been raving about them, and now they're available locally-ish thinking I might try some. But $26 still seem rather pricey just for some chunks of silicone rubber. How does the size work for these? I've read you're supposed to use a smaller size than other tips (I typically use a med. silicone).

@nmatheis I've heard some snippets of Ben Frost here and there, but that's about it. Think 'aurora' did make one of headphone commutes best of lists

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #11,125 of 20,136

Keep listening, they will change.

How so?

I heard about them. Hadn't realized they are good. Any initial impressions? I tried the 550 back in the day and they sealed poorly. does the 553 seal better?

@twister6 yes, they will perform with low power , but  I am finding that the more power you give them the better they perform. They will "perk-up" when they are amped. These are my first venture into Planars also, I have been considering HifIman HD560 or 400s just to see if there is a much different sound signature, but need to hold off for a few weeks(months) Ha!

the do sound better when amped, feels more full to my ears (with e17). Like you said, they have an addicitive nature to them. I wish I could try the PM2 as well. PM3 is growing on me slowly but surely, and I keep coming back to it, despite the issues I have with it sounds signature haha.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #11,126 of 20,136
  What ho, Lab folks. Question of the day… Is it really worth paying $26.10 CAD for 2 pairs of Spin Fits? (CTC Audio). I know quite a few folks have been raving about them, and now they're available locally-ish thinking I might try some. But $26 still seem rather pricey just for some chunks of silicone rubber. How does the size work for these? I've read you're supposed to use a smaller size than other tips (I typically use a med. silicone).

@nmatheis I've heard some snippets of Ben Frost here and there, but that's about it. Think 'aurora' did make one of headphone commutes best of lists

Just because they are 'universal' tips, they don't necessary have universal fitment.  I got one from Japan for $10 a pair and they don't fit me.  Just my ear anatomy, I guess.  While 3 pairs of spiral dots for $20 was a blessing!  So if they fit and you can hear a sound improvement, it worth every penny.  Otherwise, not.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #11,127 of 20,136

Yes, with a little bit of juice they scale up, or with a quality DAP that has a "juicy" amp section :)  I would like to try/test HifiMAN but they are all open back, a no-go for me.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #11,129 of 20,136

I am in the same boat, open backs are no go as I don't want to bother my family as I mostly listen to music at night 

You know it's funny I had my PM2's on the other day (moderate levels) and came in from patio asked my wife if she could hear them she said not really. Unless you really crank them they don't seem to leak that much sound. Now with AKG Q701 she can hear them from inside the kitchen and I was sitting on patio! go figure.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #11,130 of 20,136

Just because they are 'universal' tips, they don't necessary have universal fitment.  I got one from Japan for $10 a pair and they don't fit me.  Just my ear anatomy, I guess.  While 3 pairs of spiral dots for $20 was a blessing!  So if they fit and you can hear a sound improvement, it worth every penny.  Otherwise, not.

The one thing I can't get over is that it probably costs like $.10 to manufacture a dozen of those (or any) tips. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back