"The Lab"
Jul 9, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #10,111 of 20,136
  Not dissimilar from my vinyl collection Leo, you have to love that Audio Technica tracking that album with the center hole so offset:-0 

I'm even downloading his songs from youtube, they are sooo clear and everything seems soo natural that even some of my flacs seems muddy now 
confused_face.gif

eek.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #10,112 of 20,136

I'm even downloading his songs from youtube, they are sooo clear and everything seems soo natural that even some of my flacs seems muddy now 
confused_face.gif

eek.gif

Wonder what type of mic he has setup recording these? Seems like this would not be ideal recordings but who knows he could have a very nice recording/filming setup! 

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #10,113 of 20,136
Hey Labsters I asked a few weeks ago for suggestions for another set of cans for my recently vacated headphone stand Clay (THX Adam and the awesome Lab 1 stand)
rolleyes.gif
 Had some great suggestions and my other two pair are open back SR60 on ears and my open back AKG-702's I'm really wanting some closed cans this time, anyone have thoughts good or bad on these?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/audio-technica-ath-m50x-headphones?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Community%20-%20Audiophile%20-%20MAU%20%28Active%29&utm_campaign=Special%3A%20AudioTechnica%20ATH%20M50x&mode=guest_open 

Seems like a good price on this drop but I'm still open to other closed back suggestions if not too much more than these AT's?

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #10,114 of 20,136
  Wonder what type of mic he has setup recording these? Seems like this would not be ideal recordings but who knows he could have a very nice recording/filming setup! 

He didn't use a mic to record from the speakers, he is using a Analog/Digital capture card to record on the Adobe Audition directly from the output. For the filming, he used a Canon 600D but don't know which lens he used. 

But it really made me wonder how would be listening such wonderful recordings on a proper vinyl system personally.   
L3000.gif

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English
confused_face.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #10,115 of 20,136
  He didn't use a mic to record from the speakers, he is using a Analog/Digital capture card to record on the Adobe Audition directly from the output. For the filming, he used a Canon 600D but don't know which lens he used. 

But it really made me wonder how would be listening such wonderful recordings on a proper vinyl system personally.   
L3000.gif

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English
confused_face.gif

Ah it's not bad at all Leo, that really is a nice recording setup he has and no wonder they sound so good. Never sounds that good when I hold my iPhone up to my system
blink.gif
 LOL  Anyway as far as the full analog playback nothing beats that for me but I'm in a narrow group of dinosaurs
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #10,116 of 20,136
  Ah it's not bad at all Leo, that really is a nice recording setup he has and no wonder they sound so good. Never sounds that good when I hold my iPhone up to my system
blink.gif
 LOL  Anyway as far as the full analog playback nothing beats that for me but I'm in a narrow group of dinosaurs
rolleyes.gif

Damn you, loudness war!!! 
mad.gif

Those old records seems soo much more clear and natural that closing my eyes is just having a personal show!

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #10,117 of 20,136
The following was just posted to another group that I follow.  I felt it might be of interest here.

Quote:

Hi Guys:

I wanted to respond to Radu's comment about "soundstage", something in which we are all interested.

I'm now speaking as a retired recording engineer who dealt mostly with classical music and some jazz.

The best analogy of a soundstage occurs with a very similar human sense, that of seeing.  

You may have noticed that most of us have two eyes, and if you were really observant (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) you may also have noticed what happens when we close one eye and view the world through only the remaining one.  Upon the closing of one of the pair, we discover that what was formerly a 3-dimensional image has suddenly become only two-dimensional.  This two-dimensional image consists of information describing only left to right, and up and down.  There no longer exists the third dimension, which is front to back, or depth.

OK, so after stating the obvious, it's time to examine how recordings and their resultant soundstage differ.

Many of my recordings, particularly for orchestras and chamber ensembles of various sizes were made with only two  microphones, a "stereo pair" consisting of either two spaced omnidirectional mics, or an ORTF pair, which are cardioids spaced a distance of 117cm apart, angled at about 100 degrees, or each about 50 degrees from center.  There are a few other  miking methods which also produce a fairly accurate 3-dimensional soundstage.  These methods give results similar to our two eyes, both open.

Quite a few years back (much longer than I care to count)  multitrack recording became fashionable, with recordings being made with a microphone directly assigned to each instrument.  Since there were no longer any "stereo pairs" of mics in most of these recordings, there was no longer any perceived depth to the recording, unless a few of the mics happened to interact in such a way that some depth was allowed to happen.  The only localizing of instruments was achieved by the position of the pan-pot, or panning potentiometer, which assigned a particular mic channel a location between full left and full right, depending on the engineer's conception of how he thought the recording should sound, and his positioning of the control.  In other words, the engineer established the positioning of instruments from left to right.  There was no depth unless some reverb or artificial ambience was added to the mix.

So what's the result of all these various ways of recording?  The result is a lot of recordings with wildly differing soundstages, some with true depth created from real stereo miking, and others with no depth other than that created by reverb added to the mix.

It's therefore easy to understand that sometimes we may be listening to material that has a "real" 3-dimensional soundstage, and other times we are hearing a two-dimensional recording with added ambience.  The bottom line here is that our recordings are extremely variable as far as soundstage is concerned.

I realize that for many of us, I've been " preaching to the choir", but hopefully one or two of you will have gained a bit of better understanding.  You can't blame the tuner for no perceived depth when none was recorded in the first place.

Jeff

End quote.

Thanks  YMMV,
r2

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #10,118 of 20,136
Jul 9, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #10,119 of 20,136
  The following was just posted to another group that I follow.  I felt it might be of interest here.

Thanks  YMMV,
r2

Quite enlightening, thanks!

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #10,123 of 20,136
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/d-AihRGU1a0[VIDEO]

Just passing by...almost 9 minutes of sizzling hot Hyuna....how's the Lab without "resident cheerleader" as designated by nmatheis
Dude, what cracks me up with this video is the acid rock/80s infomercial rock that puts you in a Hyuna trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back