"The Lab"
Jul 4, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #10,036 of 20,136
Happy 4th fellow 'muricans :wink_face:

giphy.gif

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #10,037 of 20,136
  Hey hifisound i read your and twisers review on the soundmagic e80 and it got me really tempted to pick them up but i was wondering how they stack up to the various kz models. Im asking cause they also seem very good but im only gonna buy one iem and im having a hard time picking since the kz prices are so attractive.

To be honest, KZ models have great sound and fantastic value, but in terms of build quality SoundMagic has an advantage.  I'm not sure if you are on a budget and what is your budget?  If you want to get one pair that going to last you awhile - E80 will work (just remember, if you want extra bass - E80 has quality rather than quantity).  But at the same time you can get almost 4 pairs of KZs (ED9, ATE, ED10, EDSE) for the price of one E80.  And even so some of them don't have the highest build quality or finish, you are getting a lot of different sound signatures to play around with.

Speaking of KZ, and the fact that some of their iems are a near replica of other models <cough, ATE, cough>, which iem would you all like to see KZ make a version of next? Personally, I'd like a multi BA ala Shure/Westone

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #10,038 of 20,136

Speaking of KZ, and the fact that some of their iems are a near replica of other models <cough, ATE, cough>, which iem would you all like to see KZ make a version of next? Personally, I'd like a multi BA ala Shure/Westone

Etymotic ER4S with added sub-bass 
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #10,039 of 20,136

Etymotic ER4S with added sub-bass 
biggrin.gif

In quality, not quantity
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #10,041 of 20,136
smily_headphones1.gif
The Best SQ on the KZs, IMhO, are the ANVs. Unfortunately, (for me), they become uncomfortable quickly. My Go-To's have become the EDSEs which are VERY close to the ANVs, only with a little more looser Bass in the EQ. A lot of people love the ED9's which appear to have supreme resolution. It's not really. It's the fact that they are very Treble-forward which to me makes them fatiguing to listen to for a Long period. The ATE's have just as much resolution but are darker in voicing, (Think Senn.). I know I'm nit-picking here but for $9-$13 a pop, I can actually afford to be.
biggrin.gif

Comfort and Extended listening level of 10 for the EDSE.

I actually Own KZs: ED8, ED9, ANV, CM9, ATE (Silver and Clear), EDSE and have Micro Rings and ED10s coming.... PLUS a pair of TUNA D2Pros which are a copy of the SIDY HK-1's. Barrel mounted drivers with Carbon Fiber/Alum. Soundchambers.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #10,042 of 20,136

In quality, not quantity
wink.gif

Sure, I mean quality bass with a bit more weight to the sub-bass region would be perfect. 
wink.gif
  Not necessarily though.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #10,043 of 20,136

smily_headphones1.gif
The Best SQ on the KZs, IMhO, are the ANVs. Unfortunately, (for me), they become uncomfortable quickly. My Go-To's have become the EDSEs which are VERY close to the ANVs, only with a little more looser Bass in the EQ. A lot of people love the ED9's which appear to have supreme resolution. It's not really. It's the fact that they are very Treble-forward which to me makes them fatiguing to listen to for a Long period. The ATE's have just as much resolution but are darker in voicing, (Think Senn.). I know I'm nit-picking here but for $9-$13 a pop, I can actually afford to be.
biggrin.gif

Comfort and Extended listening level of 10 for the EDSE.

I actually Own KZs: ED8, ED9, ANV, CM9, ATE (Silver and Clear), EDSE and have Micro Rings and ED10s coming.... PLUS a pair of TUNA D2Pros which are a copy of the SIDY HK-1's. Barrel mounted drivers with Carbon Fiber/Alum. Soundchambers.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

I also keep slipping back to the EDSE, the SQ and fit just work well for me.  I also find that the KZ dt3 work out well while doing yard work,  Their light weight and fit keep them in place, worn over the ear using my "free and adjustable" chin slider, and their bass presence tends to mask the noise of mowers etc. yet enough detail to keep the music fun.  Every time I go to the ATE they seem "off" at first, but after a while all is good.  My ED9s are still in discovery phase, they are taking a while to sort out.  EDES continue to get play time.  So much variety for so little money.  I tend to forget my other phones while playing with the KZs :wink:  YMMV

r2

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #10,045 of 20,136
Actually since KZ already has the ATE housing, why not a KZ-IM02 / 3?

I'm finding myself more drawn to the ATE (since I fixed the vents anyways). Bit warmer sq, bigger soundstage (their best attribute IMO).

Same here... I haven't done anything to vents, in their stock form they are the best sounding IEM with my Xduoo X2. I admire its clarity and soundstage with ample warmth.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #10,046 of 20,136
Same here... I haven't done anything to vents, in their stock form they are the best sounding IEM with my Xduoo X2. I admire its clarity and soundstage with ample warmth.

One of my vents was blocked (or the other had no filter). The bass was mostly from the left side. Took a needle to them, covered with tape, pinholed them. Sounding good now, but can't say how they compare to stock.

About the biggest knock on KZ has to be QC issues, but for ~$10, I guess that's to be expected.

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #10,048 of 20,136
Hey hifisound i read your and twisers review on the soundmagic e80 and it got me really tempted to pick them up but i was wondering how they stack up to the various kz models. Im asking cause they also seem very good but im only gonna buy one iem and im having a hard time picking since the kz prices are so attractive.
I would give the KZ a try. There are QC issues but more times than not you won't get a dud.

The ED9 is a sentimental favorite, and after burn in the brass filters really are great. If your budget is around 50 bucks, you could get the ed9, ed10, ATE, and the ed special edition and still be under budget.

If you want to max out on sound quality for around fifty bucks, I can't think of anything that beats the e80, they are phenomenal IMHO and you're less likely to get a dud.

Hope this helps

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #10,050 of 20,136
I decided to get the ed9 since the e80 wasnt on amazon. Was a little tempted to get it off of micca but in the end i decided i wanted to use up my amazon giftcards. I may get the e80 when its on amazon or i may not,depends on what new and interesting iems people have found by then lol.

For burning in the ed9 does it matter which filter i use to burn it in with? I seem to recall reading in the kz thread of someone saying to burn it in with the gold filter for like 100+ hours then just stick with the brass filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back