"The Lab"
Jul 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #10,008 of 20,136

WOW $700 for duals thats crazy imagine if they put out a 10 BA it would be more then JH TOTL.

Wait a minute, this is the price for a dual dynamic?

Wow

I'm surprised they are not $1500, after all this is RE1000, should be on par with HE1000?
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #10,011 of 20,136
I am at the Hilton Garden in NY Long Island for my brothers wedding the rates went up because of the 4th of July average night for hotels is $490 a night. If I didn't need to stay for 3 days you know the audio equipment I could have bought damn I should have slept in the car.

Hey which one? We stayed at the Melville one after my own wedding in 2010. Though mine was for June 5 and saved a ton more because of it. Visitors come in for the fireworks display at Jones Beach this weekend. Enjoy the wedding and congrats to your brother.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #10,013 of 20,136
I heard the HE1000 a couple times now, and while it's very, very good, I can't say it's 3000 dollars good. It's neutral, transparent, detailed and sounds like real life, but still for 3000 dollars you are paying for the luxury and trophy aspect

Don't you need to spend another few grand to get a decent amp to drive them?  Planar magnetic drivers probably need serious Class A amp power to make them sing.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #10,014 of 20,136
Don't you need to spend another few grand to get a decent amp to drive them?  Planar magnetic drivers probably need serious Class A amp power to make them sing.

Not the latest Planar cans. Oppo PM series, LCD X series, latest HiFiman series. I've read the HE1000 can be driven with a moderate setup to get great performance.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #10,015 of 20,136

Not the latest Planar cans. Oppo PM series, LCD X series, latest HiFiman series. I've read the HE1000 can be driven with a moderate setup to get great performance.

Yeah, I meant with HE1000.  But that's nice to know they are efficient enough to be driven with a DAP.  Early this year when I visited Stereo Exchange event in NYC, HiFiMAN was really pushing their EF1000 to drive HE1000.  Probably just marketing?  I'm testing Audeze EL-8 Closed with their Deckard amp now. Just finished 200+ hr burn in (yeah, took that long for drivers to settle in, sound was changing throughout burn in).  Will start soon a critical listening, but based on spot checking during burn in I didn't hear any amp benefits.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #10,016 of 20,136

They aren't too bad in that department.  They sounded damn good from my O2 with plenty of headroom, just not 3K good.

They basically sound like pseudo-electrostatics.  I like my real 'stats better, but with the HEK you get most of the 'stat sound, a more bass impact, don't have to worry about buying another amp, and don't have to worry about them damaged in humid or dusty environments.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #10,017 of 20,136

This is not the standard way of celebrating Stampede, but I'd be willing to accept a break with tradition...

Most amusing Stampede memory: 10:00 Friday morning, watching a rather intoxicated woman try to throw her shoes at the traffic on 4 st. sw. 

God bless Calgary... we certainly have some whack jobs, especially when alcohol and Country music collide!

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #10,018 of 20,136

This is not the standard way of celebrating Stampede, but I'd be willing to accept a break with tradition...

God bless Calgary... we certainly have some whack jobs, especially when alcohol and Country music collide!

The other thing I remember about Stampede is we always got some wrath of god thunderstorms opening weekend. One year it was raining so hard, I could barely see across the street (forgot my kitchen window was open. quite the mess)

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #10,019 of 20,136
  The other thing I remember about Stampede is we always got some wrath of god thunderstorms opening weekend. One year it was raining so hard, I could barely see across the street (forgot my kitchen window was open. quite the mess)

Last year we got caught in the Nashville North tent during a massive thundershower. Were about to leave when the heavens opened... oh well, a couple more beers please! 30 minutes later, clear skies... we'll more than likely receive a repeat performance at some point in the next 10 days.

Going to the rodeo tomorrow. Thankfully in a covered section, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back