"The Lab"
Jun 16, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #8,911 of 20,136
Do you have rmma pro?

Nope - but I have sound-card with outputs and inputs - so I just need to work out how to configure it when I get the time.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #8,912 of 20,136

First post in the Lab and I choose to take part in a food related topic :p. Having a background in french pastry...I like food.

First thing is how hot was your oven? The best pizza is always cooked quickly in the oven at high high heat. Home ovens only go up to around 500 degrees. Some brick oven go super high like 800+

If you don't want soggy pizzas, you need to use a pizza stone (preheated in the oven for 1 hour+ at the highest possible heat - ~500 at home). The cheese should definitely dry out and not be watery at these temps. 

Jeremy in da house ! Woot Woot 

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #8,913 of 20,136
After having some time with the new ALO Rx IEM amp I feel I've got a handle on what it brings, and since most of the people in The Lab use IEMs I thought I'd share some brief (not new toy) impressions.

First of all, like they mention on ALO's site, this portable amp is really not meant at all for full sized headphones. Sure, I can get some volume out of it but the sound is hollow with no dynamics using full sized cans. Terrible.

With that out of the way I can say the Rx is a dream with my IEM. Compared to the HO of my X5 it has more attack/leading edge on bass hits and piano keys. There is no boosting of frequencies, just more speed, more oomph, more dynamics, more extension in both directions, and more clarity. The decay is natural and the soundstage is wide. The detail and layers are all there and I'm not missing anything in the recording. I like ALO's overall tuning in general, but this little unit is something very special for IEMs. It sounds very appealing to me, more than most everything I've heard.

I would say the amp is transparent to the source but adds a level of soundstage and dynamics that are a joy to listen to. The Rx takes the source and adds that awesome sauce that is so hard to describe. I highly recommend it if you can grab one. I haven't touched any of my other gear since picking it up except to compare. Even when sitting next to my desktop DAC/amp and planar headphones. I like it a lot.

Edit: Yes, volume matched as best I could.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #8,914 of 20,136
  Just sharing some thoughts with you guys.

I just can't decide between a portable  DAC/AMP like E18, D0 MKII, Oppo HA-2 and a DAP since my budget is limited and i would like something to substitute my fiio E10 at home and accompany me on the go since it's where i most do my listening. But the problem is that with a DAP, i may just miss a call or would just be a pain to take out my headphones to answer my phone. so here are some thoughts: wouldn't be nice if the newer DAPs have some kind of Bluetooth connection to cellphones just to answer calls? Or listening to that netflix movie on a full size headphone on bed? What do you guys think?

Cheers! 

Perhaps you could give the Calyx PaT a try? It runs off your phone. http://www.head-fi.org/t/770242/calyx-pat-the-99-pocket-sized-dac-amp-for-ios-android-and-computers

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #8,915 of 20,136

First post in the Lab and I choose to take part in a food related topic :p. Having a background in french pastry...I like food.

First thing is how hot was your oven? The best pizza is always cooked quickly in the oven at high high heat. Home ovens only go up to around 500 degrees. Some brick oven go super high like 800+

If you don't want soggy pizzas, you need to use a pizza stone (preheated in the oven for 1 hour+ at the highest possible heat - ~500 at home). The cheese should definitely dry out and not be watery at these temps. 

Thanks for the advice, I did crank my oven all the way up. Maybe my pizza stone wasn't heated up all the way.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #8,916 of 20,136

Welcome, Chef Jeremy!

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #8,917 of 20,136

First things first, welcome to the Lab friend!

Second, your theory on pizza is true, but only IF we're talking thin crust pizza. In my neck of the woods deep dish pizza is very popular, but it won't cook completely unless you lower the heat a little.

If you're ever in the Chicago area, look me up brotha, I'll take you for some deep dish pizza that's out of this world.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #8,920 of 20,136
I actually love all Pizza, I have spent weeks at a time in Chicago for work and for some reason never had pizza or a hotdog there unfortunately. If I am ever there I am every there agai I will definetly PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back