"The Lab"
Apr 3, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #2,464 of 20,136
NHT Zeros maybe?

What speakers are those? Does anyone
[/quote]

Here's a pair of NHT Absolute Zeros that were for sale on this forum back in 2008.
Might not be them but looks pretty close to me.

photo.jpg

I think those are Adam Audio A3 or A5 in the video. I really like the way ribbon tweeters look.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #2,466 of 20,136

For some reason, I never warmed up to Altone's.  They were too bright (upper mids/treble) for my ears.  Is this your listening flavor of the day?  How does it pairs up with E17k?

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #2,467 of 20,136

I thought vsd3 had a replaceable cable

nothing is wrong with the cable. The actual earpiece died unfortunately

I'm pretty sure you swap the L/R earpieces just to make sure, right?  How about trying DeoxIt?  Not doubting you, but just trying to think of a way to resuscitating these, just in case if by some miracle it's a problem with mmcx connector inside of the shell.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #2,468 of 20,136
For some reason, I never warmed up to Altone's.  They were too bright (upper mids/treble) for my ears.  Is this your listening flavor of the day?  How does it pairs up with E17k?
Something I'm discovering with the brighter tuned gears like the altone200 is that they sound better and are more listenable when I feed them higher resolution music.

They sound really good with the e17k, but as I'm sure you would imagine, I can't listen to them at louder volumes for too long without them becoming fatiguing.

Still, to this day I'm super impressed with the amount of clarity and detail these have. They really are a joy to listen to at lower volumes.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,469 of 20,136

Something I'm discovering with the brighter tuned gears like the altone200 is that they sound better and are more listenable when I feed them higher resolution music.

They sound really good with the e17k, but as I'm sure you would imagine, I can't listen to them at louder volumes for too long without them becoming fatiguing.

Still, to this day I'm super impressed with the amount of clarity and detail these have. They really are a joy to listen to at lower volumes.

+100 on that!

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,470 of 20,136

I'm pretty sure you swap the L/R earpieces just to make sure, right?  How about trying DeoxIt?  Not doubting you, but just trying to think of a way to resuscitating these, just in case if by some miracle it's a problem with mmcx connector inside of the shell.

Yup, and just double checked it out. Will give deoxit a shot and I would rather try and fix it before considering anyhting else. I hope its an MMCX issue. Now have to go find a place that stocks deoxit

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,471 of 20,136

Yup, and just double checked it out. Will give deoxit a shot and I would rather try and fix it before considering anyhting else. I hope its an MMCX issue. Now have to go find a place that stocks deoxit

Used to be a huge issue with UE900.  To the point where now they include a tube of deoxit with a packaging lol!!!  But usually a signature of contact failure is intermittent sound cut out, rather than going completely dead.  But worth a shot.  Btw, if everything else fails, contact Penon.  They mentioned awhile ago they can help with warranty claims even if you didn't buy it from them, just have to pay for shipping to send it to them (less than $10 usually).  Penon is golden!

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #2,472 of 20,136
It's pretty cheap on eBay if you don't mind waiting for it to ship.

You've got those awesome z5 to keep you company in the meanwhile right?

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,473 of 20,136

Used to be a huge issue with UE900.  To the point where now they include a tube of deoxit with a packaging lol!!!  But usually a signature of contact failure is intermittent sound cut out, rather than going completely dead.  But worth a shot.  Btw, if everything else fails, contact Penon.  They mentioned awhile ago they can help with warranty claims even if you didn't buy it from them, just have to pay for shipping to send it to them (less than $10 usually).  Penon is golden!

I actually got it from Penon so will see what they say. Waiting to hear back from them. I hope they can replace with a fixed cable version

It's pretty cheap on eBay if you don't mind waiting for it to ship.

You've got those awesome z5 to keep you company in the meanwhile right?

I don't mind waiting will def be hitting up eBay. Sony really dropped the ball with the Z5 in terms of construction, my second pair has a looser connection than my first unit and this is out of the box!
Luckily sony is awesome about customer service and I have printed off the RMA shipping label and will be sending it off. I wish they went with the EX1000 connector :frowning2:  Frustrating to have to deal with this for my first high end purchase. Will have my Havi to keep me busy meanwhile so I am golden not complaining :)

Here is a video of another Z5 owner with the same issue: 

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #2,474 of 20,136
This is what makes the Lab an awesome place, Labsters helping fellow Labsters out:smile: Awesome stuff Twist/Hi:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back