"The Lab"
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #20,026 of 20,136
Dunno Podman, going by some of the pics I've seen, you may still be considered a rookie (I mean where's the crates full of vacuum tubes):wink:

I agree its too bad Wokei ain't round any more, but you can't fault the lad for being a good son.

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #20,027 of 20,136
Dunno Podman, going by some of the pics I've seen, you may still be considered a rookie (I mean where's the crates full of vacuum tubes):wink:

I agree its too bad Wokei ain't round any more, but you can't fault the lad for being a good son.

Oh, I did not know you wanted me to post my tube box from my home systems:rolling_eyes: I try not to keep too many of any one tube and luckily I'm at about 8 different tubes in just three pieces of gear:thinking: Yeah I give Eric props all the time for that, he'll video hit me on whats.app at midnight and we go on and on. He's the Malaysian version of Uber (The Magnificent I tell him):thumbsup:

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #20,028 of 20,136
Oh, I did not know you wanted me to post my tube box from my home systems:rolling_eyes: I try not to keep too many of any one tube and luckily I'm at about 8 different tubes in just three pieces of gear:thinking: Yeah I give Eric props all the time for that, he'll video hit me on whats.app at midnight and we go on and on. He's the Malaysian version of Uber (The Magnificent I tell him):thumbsup:

If it makes you feel any better, your pics still gave me a savage case of gear envy - the only new thing I bought this year was the hd58x (although I am planning on winning one of those Fiio K3s: check it out if you haven't. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-reply-to-this-thread-on-before-12-12.894439/)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #20,029 of 20,136
The way Peter talks about them I kind of wish I had well I did and MassDrop had a snafu and basically gave me the 6XX instead! Listening to Reverend Al on this little diddy right now:grin:

IDUN Mo Al.JPG

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #20,031 of 20,136
Wow, he's really turned up the Oompa Loompa tanning cream since this shot:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #20,032 of 20,136
The way Peter talks about them I kind of wish I had well I did and MassDrop had a snafu and basically gave me the 6XX instead! Listening to Reverend Al on this little diddy right now:grin:

They are a pretty good buy. I can't say if you lucked out getting the 6xx instead not having heard them myself, but personally I think I'd prefer the 58x mostly due to the extended bass. Maybe the 58x has a more "consumer friendly" sound than the other models, but that small bass bump ~100hz can be cheaply and easily modded to ones liking without affecting the extension much.
That said, I think for my preferences, I might say the he4xx would be worth spending the extra $20 on instead. This is going off the impressions I've read that the 4xx is the same as the 400i (if I didn't already own the 400i I would've bought the 4xx for sure). I just like the bigger presentation of the 400i more than the 58x (@peter123 - you have both (assuming the 4xx and 400i are the same, SQ wise). what do you think is the better value?)

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #20,033 of 20,136
They are a pretty good buy. I can't say if you lucked out getting the 6xx instead not having heard them myself, but personally I think I'd prefer the 58x mostly due to the extended bass. Maybe the 58x has a more "consumer friendly" sound than the other models, but that small bass bump ~100hz can be cheaply and easily modded to ones liking without affecting the extension much.
That said, I think for my preferences, I might say the he4xx would be worth spending the extra $20 on instead. This is going off the impressions I've read that the 4xx is the same as the 400i (if I didn't already own the 400i I would've bought the 4xx for sure). I just like the bigger presentation of the 400i more than the 58x (@peter123 - you have both (assuming the 4xx and 400i are the same, SQ wise). what do you think is the better value?)

I'd probably agree with you, the HE400i is more to my liking than the HD58X. That being said they're both great value imo.

Honestly though, neither get much usage from me these days. Too little time to listen to headphones and when I do I always tend to choose the HD800S, HE560 or A800 over all my other cans....

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #20,034 of 20,136
I'd probably agree with you, the HE400i is more to my liking than the HD58X. That being said they're both great value imo.

Honestly though, neither get much usage from me these days. Too little time to listen to headphones and when I do I always tend to choose the HD800S, HE560 or A800 over all my other cans....

LOL, but at least you get to cruise by that shelf with all them on those nice headphone stands and smile:grin:

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #20,035 of 20,136
Dec 22, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #20,036 of 20,136

I think I can say I'm pretty much good for cans right now. Everything I currently have seems to cover all my bases. I do still want to get a better set of IEMs though. I was thinking that an IEM equivalent of the 400i would be ideal, but since most folks favour the 560 - and since you have a pair - can you make any recommendations on an IEM that does the best impression of the 560? (and how bout the a800, just for fun too)
Cheers.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #20,039 of 20,136
Most everybody who partakes in Head-Fi has a surplus of audio gear (sorry about your wallets). They either have rooms, offices, shelves, or some type of space at home where they store and use their latest gadgets. This thread will be called "The Lab", as it is dedicated to displaying your personal audio quarters.

Here at "The Lab" we are to share our listening sanctuaries, post impressions and pictures of recently purchased gears, share links to our reviews, and share upgrades to their listening experience in general. This includes chairs, cables, surge protectors, storage cases, listening quarters and scenic pictures, as well as any other dope Schiit we care to share with the group. We are here as music enthusiasts to share in our joy of quality audio and good times.

Plus, this will be another spot to discuss gear (of course)

I'll be the first to share...
I try my absolute best to not hoard multiple items and side grading, I have 1 pair of over ear headphones, 1 pair of IEMs, and 1 pair of speakers. I seem to fall in the minority though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back