"The Lab"
Apr 4, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #19,591 of 20,136
Jeremy at Garage 1217 was also so kind to include some tubes as well as other of their -20db attenuator cables. This cable is a masterpiece in itself and I will most likely put up a separate review for it. In short it present a 35Ohm resistance to the amplifier but does only have an output resistance of 3Ohm for headphones and IEM's connected to it.

Is there a reason for the attenuator since there's a 0.1 impedence output option? I'm guessing it's just to reduce the volume since it's too powerful?

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #19,592 of 20,136
Nice impressions. I guess the next step now that you have an Ember is to get a Kameleon for it:D .

How's the Ember sans the attenuation cable? The cable I DIY'd cut the background noise considerably and made my amp usable with IEMs (actually, I made 2, one's -20dB. The other -30dB).

I'd also suggest to try the X2 with a Voskhod 6n23 tube. Not my fav with the 400i, but sounds nice with the x2 

BTW there is no end to this journey:wink:

Nah, you know me and eq :wink: Tbh, reading about what it correct in the headphones that I own doesn't make it feel needed for me (as I'm not perceiving those problems) but you never know...

I primarily bought the Ember to be used with hard to drive, high impedance full sized headphones so haven't tried to many IEM's with it yet. It's very powerful though and I can imagine it could be noisy with some tubes/IEM's as well. The cable is great for reducing background hiss with easy to drive IEM's from the Burson as well and is probably where I'll be using it mostly.

I'll try out that Voskhod with the X2's when I get the time, thanks for the suggestion. Am I right to assume that the Voskhod is on the brighter side?

As for the bold part I'm afraid you might be right :wink:

Is there a reason for the attenuator since there's a 0.1 impedence output option? I'm guessing it's just to reduce the volume since it's too powerful?

Yes, to be able to easier adjust the volume but also to reduce background hiss.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #19,594 of 20,136
Nah, you know me and eq
wink.gif
Tbh, reading about what it correct in the headphones that I own doesn't make it feel needed for me (as I'm not perceiving those problems) but you never know...

I primarily bought the Ember to be used with hard to drive, high impedance full sized headphones so haven't tried to many IEM's with it yet. It's very powerful though and I can imagine it could be noisy with some tubes/IEM's as well. The cable is great for reducing background hiss with easy to drive IEM's from the Burson as well and is probably where I'll be using it mostly.

I'll try out that Voskhod with the X2's when I get the time, thanks for the suggestion. Am I right to assume that the Voskhod is on the brighter side?

As for the bold part I'm afraid you might be right
wink.gif

Yup the Voskhod is bright - tube wise - (literally too, them filaments are intense), but I find the X2 tames that nicely for my ears - and in full disclosure, mine lives in the stock P1 which is rolled off on the top end to begin with.
I find the imaging of the Voskhod is a little odd with the 400i however. Anything that gets panned far right/left seems to get spotlighted in the mix, almost creating a kind of a 3 channel presentation

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #19,595 of 20,136
Yup the Voskhod is bright - tube wise - (literally too, them filaments are intense), but I find the X2 tames that nicely for my ears - and in full disclosure, mine lives in the stock P1 which is rolled off on the top end to begin with.
I find the imaging of the Voskhod is a little odd with the 400i however. Anything that gets panned far right/left seems to get spotlighted in the mix, almost creating a kind of a 3 channel presentation

I've got some Voskhod tubes for my LD I+ and from your description they've got a similar characteristic. Will try it out with the X2's as soon as I'm able to get these HD700 of my head, they seem to have gotten stuck there :wink:

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #19,596 of 20,136
I've got some Voskhod tubes for my LD I+ and from your description they've got a similar characteristic. Will try it out with the X2's as soon as I'm able to get these HD700 of my head, they seem to have gotten stuck there
wink.gif

Speaking of the LD, how well does it hold up to the Ember?

BTW you know G1217 also has a model that'll let you roll op-amps too
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #19,599 of 20,136
Apr 10, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #19,601 of 20,136
My review of the SoundPEATS Q23, Bluetooth earphones; 

​

I liked these and the Q16 enough to order their B10 wired in-ears. Hoping they're competitive with other sub 20 CAD products.

A few other products in line for review coming up are the Shanling M1, Fischer Audio Dubliz Enhanced (holy $%^& I love these), and something I thought was pretty cool; the Double Tap R1 (https://doubletapaudio.com/collections/in-ear-headphones)

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #19,602 of 20,136
Apr 17, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #19,604 of 20,136

Users who are viewing this thread

Back