"The Lab"
Feb 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #19,457 of 20,136
Hey guys, really quiet up in here.

Any pics of gear y'all wanna share?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

Ask and you shall receive :wink:

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #19,458 of 20,136
ooh, I'll play
biggrin.gif

Lovin' this tandem
tongue_smile.gif

OK for reelz this time, have a great weekend Labsters
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #19,462 of 20,136
So the "lab" is a bit quite eh?  Well I have been busy with  my Black Swan Project, a very superior phono preamp, here is a picture Fred supervising my testing of a proto-board..

Here is the Swan, ugly but amazing, Let's me completely adjust the loading on the cartridge to set up its timbre by ear. I just did an upgrade eliminating any aluminum electrolytic from the audio chain, now there is only one Mylar film in each channel to cut off stuff below 3 Hz (turntable noise and record warping) and added one of those new Aluminum Polymer caps in the output stage for DC Blocking

\

For all those that like tech-shots here is the distortion. the peak is a 125 micro-volt input at 1 kHz with a 1.2 VRMS output with 83 dB of gain, the first peak is that funny stuff that happens when the spectrum analyzer ( HP3580A) passed through zero Hz up through the bandwidth of the filter used for measurement resolution which was 100 Hz. Sorry about the blurries, this is just out of my lab notes and the board was out of a chassis.  Second harmonic is 66 dB down and the third is 70, that's at 83 dB gain, you do the math.  What matters most is the sound of it, the guys who have been critiquing me for the last couple of years love its space and detail.  I will have a couple of lab prototypes out circulating in a month or so for more criticism. Being able to change the loading on the cartridge has impressive effects on the mechanical issues of the cartridge's timbre, you have to hear that to understand it.

I will send along pictures of my headphone amp, also remarkable, in a week or so, no feedback, all current mode gain, quite remarkable.

No, this stuff is not for sale, this is my art and not yet a business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back