1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

"The Lab"

1. Cinder
  2. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I'm not dead, just busy.

I still like headphones. Ya, headphones are cool.

I will return with a vengeance. Hell hath no fury like Hisoundfi and his review queue.

I'm giving my ears a break. Things are going on in my life that have taken a front seat and made the headphones reviews ride in the back.

Soon though my friends. I miss you all and look forward to posting foolish comments.

Derp out all you crazy mofos

howdy, Mr Trev, twister6 and 3 others like this.
  3. B9Scrambler
    @Hisoundfi Looking forward to your grand return! [​IMG]

For those interested, my review of the Audbos DB-02 is up. It's yet another hybrid in that crowded 50-70 USD market. Solid one too.

DSC00370.jpg       DSC00368.jpg       DSC00372.jpg
     ​

Cinder likes this.
  4. Podster
    Nice B9, that shell remind me of the 1More Triple! I actually think these are better looking[​IMG]

Wow, a Vince siting[​IMG] Like Sasquatch[​IMG] Looking forward to your return[​IMG]

Been enjoying the dog out of these two sweeties[​IMG]

A4M1.jpg

5. B9Scrambler

Thanks man! They do share some queues with the 1More, but yeah, you can't beat wood (no pun intended...). The A4 sounds like it's a killer earphone. 

6. Podster

Well I know I'm about to light a flame here but let me lead in buy saying this is strictly based on my hearing the A4's will keep up easily with my FLC 8's[​IMG] Of course some can also tell I like the high range as I run mine Blue Back, Gunmetal nozzle and doing a little Icky Thump in them as I type tight now[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong love my FLC's but if someone ask me right now I'd say save yourself $150 and get a pair of A4 and even more if you caught that MassDrop run for $174, noticed a lot of the AliEx sellers have edged over the $200 mark on the A4. The old supply and demand finally kicking in[​IMG]

HAve not figured out how and what kind of files to burn that work on my Walnut but the MSD card that came with them had 5 cuts out of 21 on it that sound AWESOME but the rest were corrupt so I just deleted them[​IMG] The ambient SQ of the Walnut just has such a analog sound to it and being the vinyl spinner I am I just love the way it sounds, still hard to fathom I paid less than $28 for the thing. I love the way you can also roll op amps akin to tube rolling[​IMG]

[​IMG] Labsters and have a great and tuneful weekend

7. nmatheis Contributor
    I just don't get all the Walnut love. I got one, and it sounds really rough to me. As in not refined at all compared to my other DAPs. It looks, sounds, and has the functionality of a $25-$50 product to me. Am I just kuh-razee?!?

8. Podster

Spoiled brat[​IMG] LOL Sorry buddy I couldn't hep mesef[​IMG] You know how much I love my Shanny's and they are pristine in SQ but for me the beauty of the Walnut sound is like when Ego took that bite of Ratatouille[​IMG] That rough ambient background is so reminiscent of analog I get hooked listening to it, I have noticed the better the iem the more prevalent the analog SQ. All this being typed as I sit here in my A4/M1 combo jamming on Judas Priest[​IMG]

Maybe just a little crazy but most peole that see my collection think I'm totally off my rocker[​IMG] 

Besides what goes better with Nutz than Wood right[​IMG]

LottaWood.jpg

B9Scrambler likes this.
  9. mochill
    where is your Jvc fx1200:grinning:

Podster likes this.
  10. nmatheis Contributor

Dude, they're like 100ohm output according to the Walnut thread and have strong rolloff before 50Hz. That's kuh-razee and puts the serious whammy on Multi-BA IEM :eek:

11. peter123

Of course, you've got to pair the Walnut with the right headphones but when you do I think it performs exceptionally well for it's price. I adore it with the Sextett's and some of my earbuds. Did you try it with the Zen 2?

I could never live with it as my only DAP but it does somethings that none of my other DAPs can (driving the Sextett's, doubles as an amp) so definitely a good addition to my collection, as always ymmw.

12. Podster
    lLOL, maybe my original assessment was right, only the spoiled can afford Multi BA iem's:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm lucky to own cheap Chinese hybrid with daul BA but of course they also have that big thumping DD backing them up.

This is why I never get in those multi BA/multi dollar iem tours. I remember jumping on a pair of the FLC 8 before my touring model reached the next participant:smirk: Set myself a $359 cap on iem/cans after that one and now chant to myself "Must Resist" whenever temptation rears it's ugly head:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I still love you Nik you just have to be fair to the little guy even if we seem Ka-Ray-Zee:beers:

13. 1TrickPony

just dropped by to see what's happening and saw this -- can't believe there's like a third person (mb more?) that enjoys the grey/blue config on the A4. I agree that the flc8s is impressive, but this other chameleon hybrid is just plain enjoyable!

14. nmatheis Contributor
    Nope, I haven't tried it with Zen 2 yet peter123. I tried it with Cypherus CampFred and some IEM. I guess I need to stick with higher impedance earbuds and headphones for Walnut. I'll certainly try that, but my first impressions definitely aren't of analog heaven. They're of rough sound and super wonky UI.

On the plus side, I really do love that it has digital volume attenuation in addition to analog volume pot. Makes it super easy to fine tune volume. And it's cute like my Teri G1. Teri G1 does sound much, much better to my ears, but it is far more expensive. But with Teri G1, everyone I let listen to it thinks it should cost 2-3 times the price I paid for it, and I paid full price. The people I met listen to it were industry guys from DAP and IEM companies at RMAF. They know their stuff and loved Teri G1.

Enough rambling, lol :rofl:

golov17 likes this.
  15. nmatheis Contributor

Ha! That's how I feel in threads with people like flinkenic, Mim, and warrior1975, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: