"The Lab"
Aug 21, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #18,256 of 20,136

Oh man, that sux to hear.

Do you know what is broken? The cable? Probably near the 3.5 mm connector? Maybe one of the filters is clogged? Or do you think it is the driver?

As long it is cable-related, I would highly recommend getting the cable swapped by someone with soldering experience with IEMs.

No, it's the driver. Had an issue a couple of years back where there was a volume imbalance. Fixed that with a blast of LOUD volume. I assume the armature got stuck or something. Happened again a week or 2 ago, and once more last night. This time the increased volume just resulted in much distortion then a dead driver.
Oddly, both my PFE and HP150 toasted the left driver. Coincidence?…

This would have been me if I were you in that situation;

That was me indeed - but with far more profanity

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #18,257 of 20,136
For anyone who has followed the Canadian band The Tragically Hip they will know that the frontman Gord Downie has inoperable brain cancer and he performed the last leg of his last tour last night in Toronto.

This part of the concert has to be the most anguishing display of a man facing his own mortality on stage. I feel for Gordie, I truly do. My deepest thanks to him for contributing so much to the Canadian music scene and for his heroic courage.

Warning: Very raw emotion.
https://www.facebook.com/cbcnews/videos/vb.5823419603/10154543548854604/?type=2&theater

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #18,258 of 20,136
For anyone who has followed the Canadian band The Tragically Hip they will know that the frontman Gord Downie has inoperable brain cancer and he performed the last leg of his last tour last night in Toronto.

This part of the concert has to be the most anguishing display of a man facing his own mortality on stage. I feel for Gordie, I truly do. My deepest thanks to him for contributing so much to the Canadian music scene and for his heroic courage.

Warning: Very raw emotion.
https://www.facebook.com/cbcnews/videos/vb.5823419603/10154543548854604/?type=2&theater

That's some really deep stuff. Brain cancer is awful stuff, I'm surprised he could even perform. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #18,261 of 20,136
  @Hisoundfi Nice review man! 99 Classics remain my fav headphone to date. Really hoping to pick up a pair in the coming months.

And now for my completely underwhelming A2S review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/lz-a2s/reviews/16686

meze 11 may well be what u are looking for. my set will arrive by end of this week.
i like the meze99 but don't like using cans.
cheers!

p.s extremely underwhelming lz a2s! for me its a 1 star iem.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #18,262 of 20,136

meze 11 may well be what u are looking for. my set will arrive by end of this week.
cheers!

I'm very thankful to Lorand over at Meze as they'll be hooking me up with a review sample of the 11 at the end of the month. Can't wait to check them out. I think 1 star for the A2S is a little excessive given how how nice their build, etc. is. I think that makes their sound all that more underwhelming for me because they look nice, the mic is great, and they're really comfortable.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #18,263 of 20,136
cheers!

I'm very thankful to Lorand over at Meze as they'll be hooking me up with a review sample of the 11 at the end of the month. Can't wait to check them out. I think 1 star for the A2S is a little excessive given how how nice their build, etc. is. I think that makes their sound all that more underwhelming for me because they look nice, the mic is great, and they're really comfortable.

While I understand that we all hear things differently, and there is possibility in tuning variances from one IEM to another, I really enjoy the LZ-A2S and plan on giving it a solid review.

I'm hearing some really nice warm tilted sound with overall good balance and nice texture/dynamics. Combine that with the awesome cable and really nice fit, and we have a solid option at its price.

I don't think either of you are necessarily wrong in your opinion of them, I will agree to disagree and say that I hear them the same way peter123 does.

Cheers guys

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #18,264 of 20,136
@Mr Trev  I found a solution for buying hi res versions of my fav top 40 songs. Turns out 7digital has most of what I like in 16/44.1 and some even in 24 bit and the prices aren't that bad either. The whole suicide squad album is 16.99 which is close to what the actual album costs on amazon. 

This is this one song I don't think I love you by Hoobastank, been looking for a good version of this song, which I finally found on there, which I ofc insta-purhased! Sorry to hear about your gear man, iems are starting to die on me too..

A buddy of mine lent me his bottle head amp to play with fir a few days, and i FINALLY hear that "tube sound." Warm analog and luscious sound that make my AKG K7XX so darn enjoyable, and teas the HD600 midrange to an ever higher level. I tried the 12AU7 tube from my TA03 in the bottle head and the sound was immediately sharper and colder, so tube rolling looks to be the key to getting the ideal sound. DAMN IT, another deep rabbit hole I find myself in.... 

Now I have to figure out which tubes to get for my own amp, I have one 12Au7 for the pre amp buffer and 2 x 6C19 for the post amp(?). Gotta find the right combination to get a sound between of the bottle head with a bit more clarity. Tubes all the way!

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #18,265 of 20,136
While I understand that we all hear things differently, and there is possibility in tuning variances from one IEM to another, I really enjoy the LZ-A2S and plan on giving it a solid review.

I'm hearing some really nice warm tilted sound with overall good balance and nice texture/dynamics. Combine that with the awesome cable and really nice fit, and we have a solid option at its price.

I don't think either of you are necessarily wrong in your opinion of them, I will agree to disagree and say that I hear them the same way @peter123 does.

Cheers guys

I had a similar, but opposite experience as you did with the Simgot EN700. There are some people who swore by them as TOTL IEMs, and I'm just sitting here saying they are an okay option for the price. @peter123 and I had almost identical analyses. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #18,266 of 20,136

I don't think either of you are necessarily wrong in your opinion of them, I will agree to disagree and say that I hear them the same way @peter123 does.

Cheers guys

I look forward to your review! Trust me, I wish I liked them more than I did/do. @peter123's review was excellent, just not relevant to my listening experience. Like you mentioned, they have a nice warm sound with good texture, solid cable and good fit. I can live with congestion and overly boosted midbass, but when an earphone sounds bored with it's job that ruins the experience, haha. To me it sits in my personal "good but flawed" category along with the Clipper. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #18,267 of 20,136
Although I really don't feel inclined to explain anything to anyone (and certainly not going to answer to any of the posts in the A2S thread) I still think that I can elaborate a bit more on my thoughts on my rating.

First of all as a reviewer there are times that I give a product a different rating than my own personal preference would warrant. The A2S is such a product (the Mojo would be another recent example). Sometimes I can clearly see that something is truly excellent for people with other preference or usage than myself and rate it on that basis. In the case of the A2S I thought that I was very clear about that in my last section of the review when I said :

"So if I look beyond my self (and many other in here) that has an arsenal of IEM’s for different music and usage I think that this is a very easy recommendation for anyone looking for a great sub $100 all-rounder. I’m talking about the consumer that would like to go from the stock earbuds that came with their phone, without shelling out a fortune, to something better. In all honestly this is probably 95% of the market."

I'd never suggest the Havi's or even the PMV A01 MK2 to my wife or children that's typically listetopp Spotify (or even YouTube) on there phones when commuting. I'd gladly suggest both (and have done so) as my top contenders in the sub $100 market to my audiophile friends.

That being said I still use the A2S quite a bit after having had them in my possession for over two months and that's certainly not always the case. I'd also rate them above the Simgot EN700 and the TFZ SERIES 5 for my personal preference.

On the other way around I did not warrant my all-time favorite IEM's (ASG-1PLUS) a five star rating because I think the included accessories are way under par for the user that doesn't have the accessories from over 100 other IEMs lying around. For me personally that means nothing but for others shelling out $500 for a pair of their only great sounding IEM's I can easily see this as a disappointment.

I hope this shed some light over my thoughts around the star rating when doing reviews in here. Just for the record I'd also like to add that I personally don't really like the 5 star rating but that's another discussion.

I can totally understand that other reviewers uses other ways in determining the final score.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #18,268 of 20,136
i think the most important is to state what are the top 5 iems you have tried/owned before and this gives some kind of reference.
for example, if one's best iem is a KZ ED9 for example, he says Pinnacle P1 is TOTL/End Game compared to another guy who has the Empire Ears Zeus R and says the Pinnacle P1 is average. Obviously I will trust the guy with the Zeus R. Everyone perception is different based on the amount of exposure to gears.
in this case, Peter thinks ASG 1PLUS is great for him. I have it too but it is nowhere TOTL despite it having excellent mids at TOTL level but on overall performance, it is above average.
there are many variables that can change the sound like a source.
for example, when pairing my vjjb k4 with qp1r, it feels like a mid tier iem.
cheers!

p.s. I disagree with @Cinder EN700 review but agree with Finder X1 review.
honestly, its quite subjective though but saying LZA2S > LZA2 is still very wrong subjectively imho.

so far I 100% agree with every review this reviewer wrote. Can anyone guess who is that reviewer 
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #18,269 of 20,136
i think the most important is to state what are the top 5 iems you have tried/owned before and this gives some kind of reference.
for example, if one's best iem is a KZ ED9 for example, he says Pinnacle P1 is TOTL/End Game compared to another guy who has the Empire Ears Zeus R and says the Pinnacle P1 is average. Obviously I will trust the guy with the Zeus R. Everyone perception is different based on the amount of exposure to gears.
in this case, Peter thinks ASG 1PLUS is great for him. I have it too but it is nowhere TOTL despite it having excellent mids at TOTL level but on overall performance, it is above average.
there are many variables that can change the sound like a source.
for example, when pairing my vjjb k4 with qp1r, it feels like a mid tier iem.
cheers!

p.s. I disagree with @Cinder
EN700 review but agree with Finder X1 review.
honestly, its quite subjective though but saying LZA2S > LZA2 is still very wrong subjectively imho.

I've made my statement already and I'm not going to comment anything more on this matter than saying that there's so many things that I disagree on in your post that I wouldn't even know where to start.

Last thing I'd like to add is that if you feel the need to blame someone else for not being satisfied with your purchase you may want to stop reading any reviews whatsoever.

Cheers

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #18,270 of 20,136
I've made my statement already and I'm not going to comment anything more on this matter than saying that there's so many things that I disagree on in your post that I wouldn't even know where to start.

Last thing I'd like to add is that if you feel the need to blame someone else for not being satisfied with your purchase you may want to stop reading any reviews whatsoever.

Cheers

what i said in my post is quite logical and it is hard to disagree with it imho.
I dont blame you at all but I do wish you can be more accurate with your reviews next time as there are many people who follow what you write and made the purchase based on them.
i have tried the lz a2s with many top sources btw but it fails to make the cut for me.
cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back