The King of Budget HiFi: Grado SR80i (Review) +1080p HD Video Slideshow
Sep 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
Just got mine, and after letting them sit on my desk for 3 hours burning in, I threw on some Alice in Chains (320 kbps). I have never heard guitar sound this textured before. I'm in a happy place right now! They have such a different sound then my m50's, more musical and fun. I'm going to get a big jar, and start throwing change in there for the rs1's. I hope I can give myself 3 years before I bite the upgrade bullet.

Don't spend your time worrying about the rest of the line, the SR-80's sound rather close to the RS-1 if you've ever listened to them side by side. It's just that quality is in the details, but it's generally the same sonic signature.

I feel that if you throw someone an SR-80 or an RS-1 for the first time, they'll most likely be just as impressed. Grado gets you with the whole "one headphone, many models" thing, but I usually say, just pick the one you can afford right off the bat, and until something changes where you just plain want to pay more money for a Grado, you'll be right at home. But after all who doesn't love new toys? (ask my knife collection)

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
Don't spend your time worrying about the rest of the line, the SR-80's sound rather close to the RS-1 if you've ever listened to them side by side. It's just that quality is in the details, but it's generally the same sonic signature.

I feel that if you throw someone an SR-80 or an RS-1 for the first time, they'll most likely be just as impressed. Grado gets you with the whole "one headphone, many models" thing, but I usually say, just pick the one you can afford right off the bat, and until something changes where you just plain want to pay more money for a Grado, you'll be right at home. But after all who doesn't love new toys? (ask my knife collection)

I hear you! My previous purchase before the sr80 was a kershaw from amazon two weeks ago, that I totaly didnt need...
I admit though, that I am in a good place for quite a while.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
I hear you! My previous purchase before the sr80 was a kershaw from amazon two weeks ago, that I totaly didnt need...
I admit though, that I am in a good place for quite a while.

Tell it to these:

*Haven't taken pics of the RS-2 yet*

and then:

Benchmade 42 & 51   Benchmade 32

Really poor self control + accounts on multiple forums makes Johnny a broke boy

Trust me, just revel in the fact that they're going to be the best bang for the buck, the SR-225 is the sweet spot, but only if you're setting out to get the best Grado before you start pouring money for less and less additional sound quality. SR-80's have proven themselves against pretty much all the AKG's to some people, HD-5xx, and some Ultrasones (whole nother world). Thats my advice to anybody asking which Grado to buy, just buy the one you can afford and quit head-fi while you can!

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #34 of 40
Benchmades are nice! (and expensive). I'm giving some of my kbars to one of my daughters after she goes into the military in a few years. She already has my sennheiser 202hds (she's a basshead)

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #35 of 40

Quote:

Anyone know exactly how the Alessandros compare?

DaBomb, I heard ms1, sr80, owned hf2 and own sr325is, rs1i & mspro. Alessandros are more balance and warmer than grados, sr80 & rs325is are quite 'trebly' and have less bass than ms1/mspro, while RS1is sound quite similar to mspros, the difference between rs1i & mspro is still there (RS1i has somewhat more treble than MSpro), but MUCH smaller than the differences between their low-end models. The hi-end grado models are more refined and tend to sound balance.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #36 of 40
Everyone who read the review, I noticed a mistake. I meant former instead of latter on the 2nd to last paragraph. Sound over design, my apologies.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #37 of 40
Can you recommend me a headphone equal or better than sr80i except for ms1 because they're not available in my country. I'm not pulling the trigger on Grado sr80i yet because I'm concerned about it's versatility, and I enjoy a lot of music genre except rap and R&B. Unless someone would tell me it's versatile enough for other genres other than rock and metal.  Max $100, preferably doesn't need an amp unless it will not go over my budget too much and not bass oriented. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #38 of 40
This thread is kindav old, which means all the reviews are old as well. How do these headphone hold up after lots of use? I ask this because the build quality seems mediocre. Also, are there better, and newer open air headphones for around the same price? Thanks.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #39 of 40
Grados seem fragile at first, but they can take a beating for sure. Only "weak" spot is the cups being able to rotate 360 degrees, there are many not too bright folks who keep letting the cups rotate in one direction, eventually putting too much stress on the cable connection, which is ofcourse common sense. This is very easily prevented by just using your brain for a moment.

If something does break, it's almost always completely fixable by some glue
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #40 of 40
  Grados seem fragile at first, but they can take a beating for sure. Only "weak" spot is the cups being able to rotate 360 degrees, there are many not too bright folks who keep letting the cups rotate in one direction, eventually putting too much stress on the cable connection, which is ofcourse common sense. This is very easily prevented by just using your brain for a moment.

If something does break, it's almost always completely fixable by some glue
bigsmile_face.gif

Exactly....if your Grado cable seems to be twisted.....just spin your cup .....pretty simple really.

My Grado cables still look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back