The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #4,592 of 8,352
Ok guys, reporting back. My S500 have now got closed to a 100 hours on it and whether it's placebo or not, the highs seems to have smoothed out a little more compare to the last time I put them on, Will give it another 24 hours before I call it a day and use it as it is from there. Will like to see if I could hear further improvement thru active listening. Thanks guys for helping along with valuable insights. Cheers.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #4,593 of 8,352
Quote:
Ok guys, reporting back. My S500 have now got closed to a 100 hours on it and whether it's placebo or not, the highs seems to have smoothed out a little more compare to the last time I put them on, Will give it another 24 hours before I call it a day and use it as it is from there. Will like to see if I could hear further improvement thru active listening. Thanks guys for helping along with valuable insights. Cheers.

I stopped burning and started just listening at a little over 100 hours when I got mine. Can't say as I noticed anything beyond there, but there was certainly a difference between out of the box and 100-odd hours of burn-in, and I never believed burn-in really did anything until doing it on these.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #4,594 of 8,352
Quote:
I stopped burning and started just listening at a little over 100 hours when I got mine. Can't say as I noticed anything beyond there, but there was certainly a difference between out of the box and 100-odd hours of burn-in, and I never believed burn-in really did anything until doing it on these.

Have to agree with you that the 100 hours of burn in really did helps to smooth thing out compare when out of the box and it didn't take much effort. Will be doing what you are doing and just start listening and any further improvements would be a bonus. Anyway, thanks for the head up.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4,595 of 8,352
Yes burn in does wonders to this pair of headphones. I can't remember how the signature was before burning in, I remember a lot of things sounded very harsh, you can say that I wasn't impressed at all straight out from the box. After hours and hours, they tamed down.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #4,597 of 8,352
Just received my S500's today!  Since this is my first "real" pair of headphones, they pretty much sound better out of the box than anything I've heard.

I can see what people mean about the highs being a little harsh, so I'll be breaking them in the next few days and I'll update then :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #4,598 of 8,352
Quote:

Why?

Bassdrive is such crappy low quality lol

Because I feel that the type of music played is the best for burning in headphones. I also don't listen to DnB so I don't have any on my computer.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #4,599 of 8,352
Wondering if anyone is interested.  I purchased some dampening material from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040JHMH6/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
ir

First, would this be any good? Maybe its too thick?  I kinda just bought it on a whim and wasnt sure what I Was doing..
Second, I wasnt looking at the size and its huge.  I am willing to part it out and sell them in smaller sizes if anyone is interested.  I'm thinking like envelope size portions for a couple bucks shipped 1st class? Or larger sizes for a little more. Unless of course someone can tell me this is no good for the S500, then ill just return it.

PM me. 

Funny. I have this acoustic foam and i tried to put it around the inner plastic ring before i did HM5 pad mod today. Long story short, don't bother. Bass almost completely vanished. Whole sound became super congested. This foam worked great on fostex but not on my JVC

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,600 of 8,352
Has anyone else noticed weird hissing sounds coming out of their headphones? It happens occasionally, but it's really annoying and i want to know if anyone else has had this problem or if it's just me and i have a defective pair. It also sounds like a releasing of gas, it can happen while their playing music or when nothing is playing. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4,601 of 8,352
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed weird hissing sounds coming out of their headphones? It happens occasionally, but it's really annoying and i want to know if anyone else has had this problem or if it's just me and i have a defective pair. It also sounds like a releasing of gas, it can happen while their playing music or when nothing is playing. 

Sounds like you could use a DAC. That's a common issue with onboard audio.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #4,602 of 8,352
Quote:
Funny. I have this acoustic foam and i tried to put it around the inner plastic ring before i did HM5 pad mod today. Long story short, don't bother. Bass almost completely vanished. Whole sound became super congested. This foam worked great on fostex but not on my JVC

I had more luck with a thin bit of cotton, rather than the acoustic foam. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,603 of 8,352
Quote:

Try a different source!

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4,604 of 8,352

Try a different source!
Yay, Cute's back! We missed you, now post your modded HA-S500s... I want to see the cable! :p Sorry about what happened earlier, those guys were just making fools out of themselves! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back