The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,606 of 8,352
Wow, Cute might've been right. I've been listening to the S500s with only the HM5 pads and it sounds awesome. I'm using the O rings of course, but the dynamics have gotten even better from the stock pads :O The bass is slightly weird, but once I listened to a few songs I started to like it. This may be my favorite sound so far. I'll listen to them like this for a bit then I'll try the pad on pad again and see if this still sounds as good.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4,607 of 8,352
Quote:
Wow, Cute might've been right. I've been listening to the S500s with only the HM5 pads and it sounds awesome. I'm using the O rings of course, but the dynamics have gotten even better from the stock pads :O The bass is slightly weird, but once I listened to a few songs I started to like it. This may be my favorite sound so far. I'll listen to them like this for a bit then I'll try the pad on pad again and see if this still sounds as good.

I recently came up with an additional modd, along with the HM5 pads and O-rings.  I purchased some felt, neeoprene, and some 1/8" porous material from a hobby store.  I found an oval template the size and shape of the HM5 pad, then I traced the oval onto the various materials, and then cut a hole centered on the oval about the size of the opening on the stock pads, so that the material covered the cups just like the stock pads.  The material was just stiff enough to catch the small ridges around the plastic on the drivers, but it sat up from the cups enough so that the vents were not closed but allowed them to breath .  I will post some pictures of that I made in a few days.  This made the HM5 pads fit a little better without being loose, stay in place better.  Also, gives them more lower end back, more balanced lows....but the mids still forward/balanced, treble as well.  This will do it, my last modd for the S500....can't describe the material I used in the end, it is flexible, but fairly stiff compared to felt and neoprene, about 1/8" thick and porous, but is a synthetic product.  The felt worked better on the S400, but it killed too much detail on the S500!  Soundstage is now as big as ever, still good separation, lots of air....I haven't heard any open back HP's, so it will be interesting to see if these have as much air as the AD900X, next week so I can compare!

It is easy to get involved with too much bass, to the point where the bass starts to bottom out.  If you have heard a good 2.1 system, in a well acoustic treated listening room....compare that to your headphones, and I'd bet your headphones have too much boomy bass.  in a listening room, you can clap your hands, and the sound is dead because of no reflections from walls, floors, furniture or acoustic treatments.....this makes the sound more natural and real sounding.  But you would have to experience this to appreciate it.  Tight bass.....which is what I strive for in hp/iem listening!

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,608 of 8,352
in a listening room, you can clap your hands, and the sound is dead because of no reflections from walls, floors, furniture or acoustic treatments.....this makes the sound more natural and real sounding.
Making life seem natural... :p

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,609 of 8,352
I have a brief update based upon some earlier posts that I had made about 5 days before.

My HA-S500 headphones.  While I loved the sound, I determined that I really don't like on-ear headphones.  I've sold off the HA-S500s and I'm returning the AKG Tiesto K67s.  Yes, I'm a weenie and don't like my noggin and ears getting sammiched between a pair of headphones.  I'm getting up there in years, and comfort is more essential to me at this point in time.  Instead, I sold off some gear and a few headphones that were around, but I realized I couldn't use 5 at a time, so some were sold off.  I will be getting a pair of new Sennheiser HD-600s in two days.  The plunge is clearly a bit over what the focus is here when one focuses on the best bang for the buck sound.  But, I've realized that by listening to my Senn HD-555s with some cup dampening has proven to have a more airy sound and a bit more sound stage, with very little sacrifice in bass.  So, that chapter has closed ... for now.  Finally, though, I am open to some carbon nanotube drivers at some point to incorporate into a possible around-ear headphone.  I just have to find the right band and cup combination before that dream becomes a reality.

Da DACs.  Sort of like Da Bears ... but, I don't watch sports and especially not much from Chicago, other than some good Chicago blues to listen to.  Now that makes me happy.

I had the following DACs in my circulation where I was able to allow sufficient listening time to each, which then allowed me to make a decision.  But, I didn't keep the priciest one either.

1. ELE DAC
  2. Muse "Mini" DAC with USB input, SPDIF inputs
  3. Schiit Modi DAC

Which one did I keep?  The Muse.  All three performed quite well.  The ELE DAC is as good as other say here on the forum.  1000% better than any computer sound card.  Don't let anyone talk you into a computer sound card for audiophile use.  If you have a noise problem, it's a time-killing issue to resolve memory conflicts, priorities, driver issues, etc.  Just let a cheap sound card power your monitor speakers and call it a day.  The Schiit Modi was a great DAC, too.  However, again, I was led back to the Muse for the the ability for using the SPDIF connectors in a desire to try higher quality audio here and there.  16-bit is good. Dang good.  But, there are those times when you want to open up a top shelf bottle of ... you get the picture, and just enjoy something splendid.

The ELE DAC was sold to a member on this forum, as well as the Modi DAC.  If I had a 2nd computer system with a need for sound, I'd still opt for the Muse DAC that runs only about $30.00 on Amazon.  $11.00 or $12.00 more than the ELE DAC, but a lot more features and some great sound, too.  But, the Schiit Modi is the schiit.  It has class, is compact and just looks fine in the stack configuration.  But, some desk space limitations made me pass over the Modi.

So, there you have it.  The final DAC rating, which I've based only slightly on sound quality, but more on features and the involved costs.

# 1: Muse DAC
# 2: Schiit Modi DAC -- Just because $99 is nothing compared to the nice Schiit you get with this piece.
# 3: ELE DAC. Again, not at the bottom for any particular reason other than getting more features in the Muse DAC for just a $10 spot or so more.

I hope to be participating in the lumped thread where DSnuts and DannyBai, and the rest of you great folks post about many experiences with a lot of other good, up-and-coming products like the Samson headphones and the other goodies within.

Enjoy!

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #4,610 of 8,352
I have a brief update based upon some earlier posts that I had made about 5 days before.

My HA-S500 headphones.  While I loved the sound, I determined that I really don't like on-ear headphones.  I've sold off the HA-S500s and I'm returning the AKG Tiesto K67s.  Yes, I'm a weenie and don't like my noggin and ears getting sammiched between a pair of headphones.  I'm getting up there in years, and comfort is more essential to me at this point in time.  Instead, I sold off some gear and a few headphones that were around, but I realized I couldn't use 5 at a time, so some were sold off.  I will be getting a pair of new Sennheiser HD-600s in two days.  The plunge is clearly a bit over what the focus is here when one focuses on the best bang for the buck sound.  But, I've realized that by listening to my Senn HD-555s with some cup dampening has proven to have a more airy sound and a bit more sound stage, with very little sacrifice in bass.  So, that chapter has closed ... for now.  Finally, though, I am open to some carbon nanotube drivers at some point to incorporate into a possible around-ear headphone.  I just have to find the right band and cup combination before that dream becomes a reality.

Da DACs.  Sort of like Da Bears ... but, I don't watch sports and especially not much from Chicago, other than some good Chicago blues to listen to.  Now that makes me happy.

I had the following DACs in my circulation where I was able to allow sufficient listening time to each, which then allowed me to make a decision.  But, I didn't keep the priciest one either.

• ELE DAC
  • Muse "Mini" DAC with USB input, SPDIF inputs
  • Schiit Modi DAC

Which one did I keep?  The Muse.  All three performed quite well.  The ELE DAC is as good as other say here on the forum.  1000% better than any computer sound card.  Don't let anyone talk you into a computer sound card for audiophile use.  If you have a noise problem, it's a time-killing issue to resolve memory conflicts, priorities, driver issues, etc.  Just let a cheap sound card power your monitor speakers and call it a day.  The Schiit Modi was a great DAC, too.  However, again, I was led back to the Muse for the the ability for using the SPDIF connectors in a desire to try higher quality audio here and there.  16-bit is good. Dang good.  But, there are those times when you want to open up a top shelf bottle of ... you get the picture, and just enjoy something splendid.

The ELE DAC was sold to a member on this forum, as well as the Modi DAC.  If I had a 2nd computer system with a need for sound, I'd still opt for the Muse DAC that runs only about $30.00 on Amazon.  $11.00 or $12.00 more than the ELE DAC, but a lot more features and some great sound, too.  But, the Schiit Modi is the schiit.  It has class, is compact and just looks fine in the stack configuration.  But, some desk space limitations made me pass over the Modi.

So, there you have it.  The final DAC rating, which I've based only slightly on sound quality, but more on features and the involved costs.

# 1: Muse DAC
# 2: Schiit Modi DAC -- Just because $99 is nothing compared to the nice Schiit you get with this piece.
# 3: ELE DAC. Again, not at the bottom for any particular reason other than getting more features in the Muse DAC for just a $10 spot or so more.

I hope to be participating in the lumped thread where DSnuts and DannyBai, and the rest of you great folks post about many experiences with a lot of other good, up-and-coming products like the Samson headphones and the other goodies within.

Enjoy!
So how would you rate in terms of sound quality alone?

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #4,611 of 8,352
Quote:

Good question.  As to sound, I think my 49 y.o. ears might not work as well as those who might be younger. However, I'd still rate them in the same order.  I just think the Muse DAC covers all the bases and does it for a great cost.  But, the Schiit stack is almost a must if you want something that looks nice on your desk.  But, I still have the Magni on my desk, but the DAC is out of sight behind my monitor.

The ELE DAC is a nifty piece, but with the Muse DAC only being $10, or $12 more, I think the Muse is a much, much better buy.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #4,612 of 8,352

Good question.  As to sound, I think my 49 y.o. ears might not work as well as those who might be younger. However, I'd still rate them in the same order.  I just think the Muse DAC covers all the bases and does it for a great cost.  But, the Schiit stack is almost a must if you want something that looks nice on your desk.  But, I still have the Magni on my desk, but the DAC is out of sight behind my monitor.

The ELE DAC is a nifty piece, but with the Muse DAC only being $10, or $12 more, I think the Muse is a much, much better buy.
Okay, thanks for the quick reply! I have the Magni as well, and have only been using my Titanium HD's line out for a DAC, and want to sell that and get a better (Yet cheaper) DAC.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4,613 of 8,352
Also, is this the one?

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #4,614 of 8,352
I recently came up with an additional modd, along with the HM5 pads and O-rings.  I purchased some felt, neeoprene, and some 1/8" porous material from a hobby store.  I found an oval template the size and shape of the HM5 pad, then I traced the oval onto the various materials, and then cut a hole centered on the oval about the size of the opening on the stock pads, so that the material covered the cups just like the stock pads.  The material was just stiff enough to catch the small ridges around the plastic on the drivers, but it sat up from the cups enough so that the vents were not closed but allowed them to breath .  I will post some pictures of that I made in a few days.  This made the HM5 pads fit a little better without being loose, stay in place better.  Also, gives them more lower end back, more balanced lows....but the mids still forward/balanced, treble as well.  This will do it, my last modd for the S500....can't describe the material I used in the end, it is flexible, but fairly stiff compared to felt and neoprene, about 1/8" thick and porous, but is a synthetic product.  The felt worked better on the S400, but it killed too much detail on the S500!  Soundstage is now as big as ever, still good separation, lots of air....I haven't heard any open back HP's, so it will be interesting to see if these have as much air as the AD900X, next week so I can compare!

It is easy to get involved with too much bass, to the point where the bass starts to bottom out.  If you have heard a good 2.1 system, in a well acoustic treated listening room....compare that to your headphones, and I'd bet your headphones have too much boomy bass.  in a listening room, you can clap your hands, and the sound is dead because of no reflections from walls, floors, furniture or acoustic treatments.....this makes the sound more natural and real sounding.  But you would have to experience this to appreciate it.  Tight bass.....which is what I strive for in hp/iem listening!

I'd definitely be interested in attempting this mod. More details and pictures would be fantastic as I'm not good at DIY stuff.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4,615 of 8,352
Quote:
Also, is this the one?

Yes, that is the specific one.  It takes a bit less than 2 weeks to receive it from China. They ship it, and about a 4' USB cable in a foam "box" which is wrapped in tape, then placed in a Tyvek shipping envelope.  It is small enough that it should be placed in your mail box, and not left out on your door step, like a Fed Ex or UPS package, that is usually a bit larger.

The DAC is detected quite simply as a USB device and within such players as Foobar or WinAmp -- loaded with the Winaspi driver, allows you to select the device via a drop-down or pick option and use it without issue.  I'm quite happy with the stability, sound performance -- and dead silent use when connected to the PC.  With the use of the Winaspi driver, you can change or select a setting to ensure the device has exclusive mode within Windows or your operating system so that regular computer movements don't hamper the sound in any way.

Enjoy!

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #4,616 of 8,352
Quote:

Yes, that is the specific one.  It takes a bit less than 2 weeks to receive it from China. They ship it, and about a 4' USB cable in a foam "box" which is wrapped in tape, then placed in a Tyvek shipping envelope.  It is small enough that it should be placed in your mail box, and not left out on your door step, like a Fed Ex or UPS package, that is usually a bit larger.

The DAC is detected quite simply as a USB device and within such players as Foobar or WinAmp -- loaded with the Winaspi driver, allows you to select the device via a drop-down or pick option and use it without issue.  I'm quite happy with the stability, sound performance -- and dead silent use when connected to the PC.  With the use of the Winaspi driver, you can change or select a setting to ensure the device has exclusive mode within Windows or your operating system so that regular computer movements don't hamper the sound in any way.

Enjoy!

there's another one with a PCM2707 chip but it's a bit more expensive. do you or anyone know what's the difference in sound and etc?

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #4,617 of 8,352
The PCM270X series are pretty old USB receiver/DAC chips and not particularly good.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #4,619 of 8,352
Quote:
The PCM270X series are pretty old USB receiver/DAC chips and not particularly good.

Quote:
What's more current or better?

Yes, the PCM270# series is a bit old and dates back to 2009, and before.  However, I still think that for basic listening, they still perform well.  They are a proven product.  While the newer ESS Sabre flavors do offer the possibility of an improvement in areas, it still comes with a cost. I think when one factors in cost / performance, the Muse DAC for $30 is quite a good performer and for most people, spending upwards of $200, or greater on a better DAC, their ears might not be able to tell the difference when using compressed music as most people tend to do nowadays.  Plus, we all know that the "better" options do provide some improvements, but usually those improvements tend to be a bit more costly and the gain to be only single-digit percentage increases.  To me, I've tried far too many upgrades to realize that many were never upgrades at all, and each of them took a bite out of my wallet at the same time.

As to the DAC with the PCM2704c vs. the PCM2707, I still think the "04" option may still be fine and the "07" option marginally better.  But, I have not heard both, so don't quote me on that.  
size]

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #4,620 of 8,352
Quote:

Yes, the PCM270# series is a bit old and dates back to 2009, and before.  However, I still think that for basic listening, they still perform well.  They are a proven product.  While the newer ESS Sabre flavors do offer the possibility of an improvement in areas, it still comes with a cost. I think when one factors in cost / performance, the Muse DAC for $30 is quite a good performer and for most people, spending upwards of $200, or greater on a better DAC, their ears might not be able to tell the difference when using compressed music as most people tend to do nowadays.  Plus, we all know that the "better" options do provide some improvements, but usually those improvements tend to be a bit more costly and the gain to be only single-digit percentage increases.  To me, I've tried far too many upgrades to realize that many were never upgrades at all, and each of them took a bite out of my wallet at the same time.

As to the DAC with the PCM2704c vs. the PCM2707, I still think the "04" option may still be fine and the "07" option marginally better.  But, I have not heard both, so don't quote me on that.  
size]

thanks for the info... I'll have something to read up on 
smile.gif

back to the S500. i think my unit is burning in quite nicely. when i first got it, i thought the mids were a bit laid back. it's now coming back. it could be my brain getting used to the phones though. there's quite a bit of details in these. i am still using it stock cause it's quite comfy to me (as compared to my V-Moda M80). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back