The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 31, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #3,976 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey, I just made an account because I'm thinking about buying these headphones as opposed to the MDR V6's, and I have two questions.
1. Are these the kinds of headphones that need an amp to sound good? I'll be playing them either through my computer (which most likely doesn't have the best sound card, being built into the motherboard) or through my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.
2. How difficult is it going to be to return these, if I have to, should I buy them from Amazon.

I know you've probably gone over this at some point in the thread, but seeing as how there are 266 pages in it now, I'd rather not read through this thing.

These don't need amping at all to sound good. But simple mods can make them even better.  Never heard the V6s but these S500s seems to be a lot more portable and more suited for modern types of music, all genres.

Well, you have to import these from Jpn if you want them new. So it all depends on your seller and their return policy. But you can easily sell these on head-fi or else where since they are pretty popular and hard to find if you don't like them.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #3,977 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey, I just made an account because I'm thinking about buying these headphones as opposed to the MDR V6's, and I have two questions.
1. Are these the kinds of headphones that need an amp to sound good? I'll be playing them either through my computer (which most likely doesn't have the best sound card, being built into the motherboard) or through my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0.
2. How difficult is it going to be to return these, if I have to, should I buy them from Amazon.

I know you've probably gone over this at some point in the thread, but seeing as how there are 266 pages in it now, I'd rather not read through this thing.

They DEFINITELY sound good without an amp. They do scale well from what I hear, but I haven't tried them amped yet. The most significant change you'll notice with burn in is the instrument separation. Every instrument has its own atmosphere, it's very interesting.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #3,978 of 8,352
I cannot detect any noticeable difference when amped through the FiiO E11. My friend did mention there is better extension/decay for highs. Not worth the money spent on the E11 if you don't really strive for 100% potential IMHO.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #3,979 of 8,352
Quote:
I cannot detect any noticeable difference when amped through the FiiO E11. My friend did mention there is better extension/decay for highs. Not worth the money spent on the E11 if you don't really strive for 100% potential IMHO.

No amping needed if you mean loudness by that - they are very easy to drive.What does make for audible difference if low frequency extension of your amp or whatever and its output impedance. For both - the lower, the better. Most likely only needed/audible with high rez digital and analog.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #3,980 of 8,352
I found myself listening to my Uptowns more lately than my S500's largely because the Uptowns are so much more comfortable (and, I enjoy their sound - Doc ain't completely crazy lol).

At any rate, my HM5 pads just came in, and I must say that it is a joy to get the S500 goodness to the same comfort level as the Uptowns. Simply awesome.

Currently I have them over the ATH pleathers and it sounds great. But I suppose I should try them over the stock pads also to see how that sounds. I'll probably leave the bass ports taped unless someone tells me that I should try them not being taped over.

Cool!

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #3,981 of 8,352
Quote:
I found myself listening to my Uptowns more lately than my S500's largely because the Uptowns are so much more comfortable (and, I enjoy their sound - Doc ain't completely crazy lol).

At any rate, my HM5 pads just came in, and I must say that it is a joy to get the S500 goodness to the same comfort level as the Uptowns. Simply awesome.

Currently I have them over the ATH pleathers and it sounds great. But I suppose I should try them over the stock pads also to see how that sounds.

Cool!

Ya try the stock pads. That is how I have them. The ATH pleathers sound a bit thin using the HM5 pads. Make sure to take the tape off the vents now too. You won't need the tape mod anymore. Try it out.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3,983 of 8,352
Quote:
Ya try the stock pads. That is how I have them. The ATH pleathers sound a bit thin using the HM5 pads. Make sure to take the tape off the vents now too. You won't need the tape mod anymore. Try it out.

Thanks. Done, but they don't stay on over the stock pads very well (one side keeps just popping off). I suppose the ring trick might be in order?

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,984 of 8,352
Ya I got my rings the other day. Funny story. I spent almost an hour trying to figure out how to put the rings over the HM5 pads. The funny thing is. You don't
The rings make the back end of the cups just big enough for the HM5 pads not to fall off..They stay put now buy you can get a good idea of the sound using them with stock pads and HM5 pads over them. Very comfy and sounds great.

By the way I sent out most of the prizes. I am about to go to the post office again to send off hatefulsandwich his prize. Still no word from Ghost. I wonder if he got too drunk at a Christmas party and something happened. Lol.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #3,985 of 8,352
Quote:
Ya I got my rings the other day. Funny story. I spent almost an hour trying to figure out how to put the rings over the HM5 pads. The funny thing is. You don't
The rings make the back end of the cups just big enough for the HM5 pads not to fall off..They stay put now buy you can get a good idea of the sound using them with stock pads and HM5 pads over them. Very comfy and sounds great.

My HM5 pads are taking their sweet time getting here from China as always, but can you post some pics of these pads with the rings on it. Cute be trolling me hard by not posting any pics, cute to me is the new mochill but worse. haha

Got a 2nd set of used S500s in gunmetal from a fellow head-fier just to test them out with these HM5 pads, hope i love this combo like many are.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #3,986 of 8,352
Firstly, it does seem like the S500's with HM5 pads over the stock pads (with vents untaped) truly, spectaculary, do somehow sound even better than with just the ath pleathers (and vents taped). I find it hard to believe, but it's true. I am just loving the soundstage now. And it seems like the mids are brought out a bit more forward. Sounds very full and rich. Wow. And combine that with the comfort... priceless! Does anyone really need anything more than this??? (well, apart from the fxz100/200's lol).

Quote:

Thanks for that info! So, you now do not have the stock pads under the HM5 pads?

Quote:
By the way I sent out most of the prizes. I am about to go to the post office again to send off hatefulsandwich his prize. Still no word from Ghost. I wonder if he got too drunk at a Christmas party and something happened. Lol.

These things happen lol! I'm sure he's fine though (fingers crossed).

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3,987 of 8,352
I got the rings so I didn't need any other pads underneath the HM5 pads......just fit the O rings in the groove where the stock pads fit.  The O rings stay in the groove, and the HM5 pads fit over the O rings to keep them in place, so no pads under the HM5 pads.....but you guys do what you want.  I have modded by two S500's and S400 with different cables, in addition to the HM5 pad/O rings....for the most awesomeness sounding headphones!

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3,988 of 8,352
I got the rings so I didn't need any other pads underneath the HM5 pads......just fit the O rings in the groove where the stock pads fit.  The O rings stay in the groove, and the HM5 pads fit over the O rings to keep them in place, so no pads under the HM5 pads.....but you guys do what you want.  I have modded by two S500's and S400 with different cables, in addition to the HM5 pad/O rings....for the most awesomeness sounding headphones!
Do you tape mod it?

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #3,989 of 8,352
I use the stock pads inside the HM5 pads. And this configuration sounds fantastic. I tried it without any pads underneath and I don't know if I was not doing it right but it sounded way too thin for me. Like something was missing. Once I put the stock pads back in there the fullness came out again. I just leave it like that. Sounds fantastic this way. The rings are a brilliant idea as there is no stitching needed or anything like that. Just put the HM5 pads over the rings and your good to go.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #3,990 of 8,352
Quote:
I use the stock pads inside the HM5 pads. And this configuration sounds fantastic. I tried it without any pads underneath and I don't know if I was not doing it right but it sounded way too thin for me. Like something was missing. Once I put the stock pads back in there the fullness came out again. I just leave it like that. Sounds fantastic this way. The rings are a brilliant idea as there is no stitching needed or anything like that. Just put the HM5 pads over the rings and your good to go.

Ok, just ordered up the rings (found the relevant info here courtesy of our good friend cute).

My left ear is feeling the stock pad a little bit, so once I get the rings, I'll definitely be trying the HM5's without the pads underneath. But I am loving this "HM5 over stock pads" sound as well, so I suspect that I'll be staying with that configuration!

Thanks cute and dsnuts for your help (again)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back