The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Dec 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #3,946 of 8,352
Well, I was a lot like that in high scholl and in uviversity but the past couple of years when I get hammered I usually just don't remember anything but I don't do stuff like that - getting mad or arguing with people - I'm usually funny and cool about everything. 

Anyway, I finally piled 100+ hourse of burn-in on the s500, so maybe today (if my head clears) or tomorrow I'll share a more detailed opinion. It won't be surprise to anyone here that I'm fairly impressed, especially given the fact that my friend in Japan got it for me for like $37 and the bang for buck is strong with this one as Darth Vader would say

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #3,947 of 8,352
Quote:
Well, I was a lot like that in high scholl and in uviversity but the past couple of years when I get hammered I usually just don't remember anything but I don't do stuff like that - getting mad or arguing with people - I'm usually funny and cool about everything. 

Anyway, I finally piled 100+ hourse of burn-in on the s500, so maybe today (if my head clears) or tomorrow I'll share a more detailed opinion. It won't be surprise to anyone here that I'm fairly impressed, especially given the fact that my friend in Japan got it for me for like $37 and the bang for buck is strong with this one as Darth Vader would say

I'd be very very happy if you get me a pair for $37 XD 

I'm kidding by the way, but I am considering upgrading from 400's to 500's soon.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #3,948 of 8,352
Well, I would but sadly he's not in Japan now. He was there, got one pair for me and brought them, so no shipping costs or anything. I was thinking of asking him to get several pairs, so I can resell them cheaper than on ebay but for some reason he doesn't have a credit card and I couldn't send him money for more. And he said that he has only cash money, so I didn't want to strain his wallet. Of course, back then I didn't know that his idea of cash money equals several boxes full of s500s LOL

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #3,949 of 8,352
out of the box for the first 10 hours of head time, after the 400+ hours of burn in, the clamp was pretty strong and i couldnt wear them for more than 1 hour at a time
after stretching them for quite a while on a box, clamp has reduced and i can start to appreciate its sound

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3,950 of 8,352
Quote:
Well, I would but sadly he's not in Japan now. He was there, got one pair for me and brought them, so no shipping costs or anything. I was thinking of asking him to get several pairs, so I can resell them cheaper than on ebay but for some reason he doesn't have a credit card and I couldn't send him money for more. And he said that he has only cash money, so I didn't want to strain his wallet. Of course, back then I didn't know that his idea of cash money equals several boxes full of s500s LOL

Wow lmao, that's a lot! I believe I can handle $65 considering how many people recommend them 

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #3,951 of 8,352
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #3,952 of 8,352
Yeah, they are totally worth it. On another note, I'm still waiting for the ATH pleathers I ordered 3 weeks ago but now I'm starting to wonder if I'll actually need them. People here mentioned that the sound is more balanced and less bass-heavy with them but I actually don't find the s500 particularly bass heavy. The bass is about right and I'm not exactly a basshead. I was playing around with the e11 and its bass boost set on 2 and the sub-bass turns the s500's cups into tickling machines for your ears.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #3,953 of 8,352
Quote:
Yeah, they are totally worth it. On another note, I'm still waiting for the ATH pleathers I ordered 3 weeks ago but now I'm starting to wonder if I'll actually need them. People here mentioned that the sound is more balanced and less bass-heavy with them but I actually don't find the s500 particularly bass heavy. The bass is about right and I'm not exactly a basshead. I was playing around with the e11 and its bass boost set on 2 and the sub-bass turns the s500's cups into tickling machines for your ears.

ath pleathers are definitely useful for improving comfort although a lot of people have been getting the brainwavz around ear pads
the pleathers sits around the bottom of the ear but they do still rest on ear for the top part of the ear

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3,954 of 8,352
Does anyone know if these s500 will ever hit the states?
I only see sellers from Japan .
How long before JVC wakes up and makes an even better model?
Seems like they have the know-how to surpass everyone but still have not.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,955 of 8,352
It seems like JVC has really found their groove this year. I don't know if they realise how many people want them overseas. If only they had a representative here or something. Dsnuts should apply :D

Yeah, I don't get trashed anymore because I black out and then wake up to carnage, broken toes and carpet burn on my elbows and face. :xf_eek:

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3,956 of 8,352
Quote:
Does anyone know if these s500 will ever hit the states?
I only see sellers from Japan .
How long before JVC wakes up and makes an even better model?
Seems like they have the know-how to surpass everyone but still have not.

I believe it's just going to be a matter of time.  At the moment, I see that there is a slot for the JVC HA-SR500 on the B&H Photo Web site, but there is a notation indicating that the product is not available yet.  I'm making a guess, but it's probably just taking a bit of time to get these into the United States distributors, then the reailers can select them and sell them at that point.  Also, the JVC HA-S400 was just announced / released in October 2012, and they are in stock at J&R Electronics at this time.

Edit # 1: I should also point out that my local Micro Center has the HA-S400 in stock, as well as the new HA-SR500 in stock.  The HA-SR500 appears to be built like the HA-S500, but features an integrated mic in the cable - which can be useful for Android and tablet users.

Guess where I'm going during my lunch break today?

Edit # 2: I should clarify a bit better.  The JVC HA-SR500 is the JVC offering with a built in microphone in the audio cable.  However, the HA-SR500 only has 30mm drivers, while the HA-S500 has 40mm drivers.  One page I read, indicates the specs appear slightly better for the HA-SR500 over the HA-S400, but that is just an opinion based on the writer reviewing the specs for the headphones.  Given that the drivers appear to be the same size and are probably the same spec-wise, the slight performance differences might be attributed to the slight variation in cups.  For now, I'll just get the HA-S400 because I have the HA-S500 on their way from another member here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back