The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #3,391 of 8,352
Could someone with the S500 please be a guinni pig and get Joe Blogg's recommended Somic MH463 50mm circumaural headphones?:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637699/50mm-driver-open-air-full-size-cans-pop-out-of-nowhere-sound-amazing#post_8893720

I don't have any circumaural's, and they look quite promising for only $50. My problem is that I really love the sound coming out of the S500, so I don't want anything that doesn't sound at least as good (and from what I am seeing and reading, the S770's won't fit the bill). I guess I could always wait until JVC comes out with a 50mm CNT headphone, but I'm not that patient lol.

So c'mon someone!

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3,392 of 8,352
The MH463 looks Audio-Technica-inspired and [hopefully] comfortable.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3,394 of 8,352
Quote:
S500 minus stock pads + ATH pleather pads + Brainwavz HM5 pads over the ATH pads = CIRCUMAURAL S500s!

AND they are super comfy!

But, of course, they now look bigger than the stock set.

This is true! I know I could go digging through the thread, but how does the sound compare between just the ath pleathers and the ath pleathers + hm5 pads? If it's pretty much the same sound, then I may very well do that. How about the soundstage?

Fwiw, one thing that appeals to me about the Somics is that they are open backed, which in theory would provide a larger soundstage. I could get into that!

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3,395 of 8,352
Quote:
Could someone with the S500 please be a guinni pig and get Joe Blogg's recommended Somic MH463 50mm circumaural headphones?:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637699/50mm-driver-open-air-full-size-cans-pop-out-of-nowhere-sound-amazing#post_8893720

I don't have any circumaural's, and they look quite promising for only $50. My problem is that I really love the sound coming out of the S500, so I don't want anything that doesn't sound at least as good (and from what I am seeing and reading, the S770's won't fit the bill). I guess I could always wait until JVC comes out with a 50mm CNT headphone, but I'm not that patient lol.

So c'mon someone!

That'd be yours truly. My MH463s are en route.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3,396 of 8,352
Quote:

My reading comprehension was lacking, because you already pointed that out in the other thread!

You are the man!
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #3,397 of 8,352
just opened mine and tried them out
amazed me out of the box (i havent been into head fi too long) with the stock pads- plenty of bass, but as a reference point, less sub bass and mid bass than the ath cks77 iems
switched the pads to the ath pleathers and there was a drastic decrease in bass quantity, making it more linear
wanted the stock sound so i did the tape mod for all the ports and put back the pleathers and bass quantity has returned

regarding fit, the stock pads are a little stiffer than the ath pleathers, and they also have smaller opening then the pleathers
i have, what i think are, small ears and the stock pads mostly fit around my ears, after plenty of fiddling, albeit some portions of my ear would be crushed
with the pleathers, they completely fit around the ear with minimal adjusting

burning them in as i speak

by the way, the usually annoying plastic packaging is surprisingly easy to open, thanks to Japanese attention to detail!

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #3,398 of 8,352
Quote:

Interesting. Joe Bloggs and his 3580s are certainly quite a read.  If not open-backed, I would be VERY interested, despite pulling the trigger on 770s recently (they are in the transit from France ).

Since I need "anything but fully/semi open" phones for monitoring live recordings in the same acoustic space the musicians are playing, that simply means closed cans - HA-S500s proved to have far too low isolation for that purpose. Except with HM5 pads, but I still crave for better soundstage. I gave up the IEM idea, as soundstage just will not do, except perhaps for the new Sennheiser ie800, but that exceeds my budget I have in mind; if someone let me try ie800s for at least one recording session and if they prove to be what I am looking for, then maybe I would reconsider that budget limitation.

Still, very interested in your impressions with MH463s !

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #3,399 of 8,352
I don't see any feedback on the blue HD25 pads lately at all... :frowning2:

Are they really that bad that no one uses them? :confused_face:

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to put all the recommended S500 eBay sellers in the OP?? Might make it easier for new buyers. :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #3,400 of 8,352
Hmmm.. I read a lot of posts from the forum. And I'm still skeptical to get this headphones. Is this merely a hype or this headphones is really a good buy. I'm currently using a Superlux HD668B for music, games and videos in my computer. I'm thinking of getting a pair of headphones that sound as good as the Superlux but looks better and portable. How does the S500 compare with the Superlux HD668b? Can anyone help me clarify on this? Thanks.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #3,401 of 8,352
Quote:
Hmmm.. I read a lot of posts from the forum. And I'm still skeptical to get this headphones. Is this merely a hype or this headphones is really a good buy. I'm currently using a Superlux HD668B for music, games and videos in my computer. I'm thinking of getting a pair of headphones that sound as good as the Superlux but looks better and portable. How does the S500 compare with the Superlux HD668b? Can anyone help me clarify on this? Thanks.

LoL, I have both the HD668B and the HD681F and these JVC S500s, even the S400s owns these superluxes. Lets just say the S500s blows them outta the water to put it bluntly. The luxes are currently collecting dust on my desk. haha The only thing these semi-open cans have over the S500s is wider soundstage, thats it.

Just a warning though, if you get these S500s you might not want to use them HD668Bs no mores.
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3,402 of 8,352
I have the Sampson SR 850s whice are 668s in disguise. The Superluxe drivers have a brighter thinner signature. The stage is wider and has more airyness. very spacious. But the JVCs are just much more enjoyable. especially as the JVC has more low end presence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back