The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #2,896 of 8,352
Quote:
I believe I found that quote here www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/1410

yes, IMO its better... but it doesnt demolish them.   but thats my IMO and my personal preference. 
They demolish phones like the HTF600 for example.

Demolish = blows them away.
No, the S500 does not demolish the M50, but IMO and a few others that own or have owned the M50, whe find them better.
There are those who also got both and prefer the M50, so its about personal preference.

The good thing is that you can buy the ATH pleather pads if you want less bass and a more "open" sound.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2,897 of 8,352
Quote:
By cashnotcredit..
Maybe I'm not a bass head after all. After demo ing akg k550s I still felt the m50s outshone them. Same goes for the hd25-iis.
Btw, this is really a fantastic forum! I just joined after staying anonymous for a few weeks, and I can really see that people are really helpful here.

What you have to understand is headphones does not sound the same to everyone. People have different taste in music, sounds, bass, etc.
If you like headphones like the M50 maybe you're better off with the S400, it's cheaper and its sound signature might suit you better.
Most people who like headphones like the M50 or K550 complains about the S500's bass. It's too much for them.

Personally, I prefer the S500 over the M50 because it works better with the type of music I listen to.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2,899 of 8,352
Quote:
Quote:
Stock pads? If so, the ATH pleathers are more comfortable (and IMO, sounds really awesome).

The stock pads did hurt my ears too. The ATH pads are quite comfortable. No more on the ear. It's over the ear now.

Mine are also stock.

Normally, if I'm not satisfied with a new set, from the Sennheiser HD 202 II ($18) to the ATH M50 ($110), I give them away. Even my Fostex T50RP are in (some) danger of being cut from the roster; they're no longer starters, anyway. I've never even considered after-market mods.

But I like the HA-S500. I have a buncha questions if anyone cares to indulge me.

1. The pads being recommended are the "ATH SJ5 DJ-Style" pleathers?
  2. Are they available somewhere I don't have to use PayPal?
  3. Are these made by ATH or a third party?
  4. They're really circumaural pads?
  5. Is installation simple enough for a klutz?

Next week, I think I'll write a short review. My delay is to avoid the RNTS (Reviewer's New-Toy Syndrome). Plus, my new O2+ODAC combo should be here today.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,900 of 8,352
Quote:

Mine are also stock.

Normally, if I'm not satisfied with a new set, from the Sennheiser HD 202 II ($18) to the ATH M50 ($110), I give them away. Even my Fostex T50RP are in (some) danger of being cut from the roster; they're no longer starters, anyway. I've never even considered after-market mods.

But I like the HA-S500. I have a buncha questions if anyone cares to indulge me.

1. The pads being recommended are the "ATH SJ5 DJ-Style" pleathers?

These are the ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261112637420

Quote:
  1. Are they available somewhere I don't have to use PayPal?
  2. Are these made by ATH or a third party?

Don't know (my guess is 3rd party though).

Quote:
They're really circumaural pads?

If you have medium sized ears, these almost feel circumaural.

Quote:
  1. Is installation simple enough for a klutz?

Simple enough for this klutz lol!

Btw, I was having a bit of a hard time with the S500's before switching to the ATH pleathers. This is what I said when I switched:

Quote:

I have the ATH leathers on my S500 now. I knew that the sound that I was looking for was somewhere in the S500. But with the stock pads, I sadly wasn't quite getting it. Actually to be honest, I was finding it to be somewhat fatiguing to listen to after a while. I'm old (48) and I think that I'm getting a bit of tinnitus in one of my ears, and the s500/stock pads seemed to be aggravating that somewhat. Maybe it was the bass that I was a bit too much for me, although I thought that maybe the treble was bothering me somehow also. I had the feeling that the mids were not as forward as I would prefer (I kept comparing the mids to my almighty modded ksc75's lol).

Anyway, just like how I was astonished with how the memory foam tips on the FX40 change it's sound so much, I am equally astonished at how well the ATH leathers on the S500 changes the sound for me. Dsnuts, nobody can ever call you nuts lol! As you said, the mids are fuller, and the sound is beautifully balanced now. Full. Lush. Detailed. Still plenty of bass, but it just sounds amazing to me. Not fatiguing to me now at all. I can crank up the volume, and nothing is overpowering - everything is beautiful. Unreal!

So, I guess you could say that I'm a S500 + ATH leathers believer now, and the S500 actually is living up to the hype. I'm pretty damn happy camper right now. Thanks to dsnuts and doc and rick and all of you other crazy S500 fanatics - you done good!

So for $15, I think that it's worth giving the ATH pleathers a try.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #2,901 of 8,352
Nov 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,902 of 8,352
The ATH pleathers are a little more comfortable than stock, but they are still on-ear (and I don't have big ears), and they do get uncomfortable to me after an hour or so. My ears get uncomfortable before they get sweaty.

The HM5 pads are another level of comfort, but I haven't yet decided how I want to attach them more securely.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2,903 of 8,352
Quote:

Do you get sweaty ears if you listen for a while? 

They haven't gotten sweaty yet, but it has been quite cool around here since I have been using the S500's. In the summer though, my ears get sweaty without ANYTHING on them, so I'm sure that I'll have an issue with sweat in the summer (in which case I will probably be resorting to my iem's or my other lighter headphones).

Quote:
The ATH pleathers are a little more comfortable than stock, but they are still on-ear (and I don't have big ears), and they do get uncomfortable to me after an hour or so. My ears get uncomfortable before they get sweaty.

My experience was that with the stock pads, my ears would get sore after a while, and no amount of adjusting would stop the soreness. But for me with the ath pleathers, I might need to adjust them after a while, but then they go back to feeling comfortable (until the next adjustment is required).  I'm sure though that these are not nearly as comfy as over-ear phones, but they are comfortable enough for me that I have no problem wearing them for extended periods.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2,905 of 8,352
Quote:
What do you guys think are the chances that the S500's price will drop on Black Friday?

LoL, do they even have black fridays in Jpn??? Since all the sellers seems to be selling from there, i somehow doubt it. But i really wish they do drop the prices a bit, or at least have free shipping or something like that, would be pretty sweet. 

The S400s might drop in prices on black friday since they are selling in the states so........ but they are as low as it can get already haha

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #2,908 of 8,352
Quote:
My experience was that with the stock pads, my ears would get sore after a while, and no amount of adjusting would stop the soreness. [...]

I tried giving my nearly new pair a bit of a stretch to see if it would make them more comfortable. I don't know if I achieved anything. But after another four hours today, my ears aren't nearly as sore.

I'm going to keep the ATH pleathers in mind.

I like the sound of these 'phones.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,910 of 8,352
Quote:
How would these fair with a tablet for watching movies and the odd bit of rock/metal?

They work quite well for both, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back