The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2,927 of 8,352
Quote:
^ And with this the hype train is officially back on track. LoL

Hey Cash I noticed that you have some interesting phones in your inventory, care to give me some insights/ pics of what you did to your modded superlux HD681s? I have the HD681F as well and lots of people do crazy modding on these it seems. LoL Oh and care to give me a quick compario between those HD681 with and without the mod against your AKG K240s? Many say that those HD681s and superluxes in general sound very similar to AKGs cough *desgin* cough. 

Thanks in advance!

edit: LoL doc, yeah go talk/ post to yourself!!! Do tell us how they are/ go with your S500s and I want to see some of your skillful sewing skills at work on those pads.
biggrin.gif

Hah, I totally opened my 681s up by removing most dampening material (including a special "Do Not Remove" sticker, what a rebel.), and removing the dampening from the back as well. I also replaced the endcaps (You know, the ones that say "Superlux") with quarters to increase clamping force (and apparently it reduces resonance, ask the people of RockGrotto.) This is obviously treble overload, so I then run the 681s through heavy equalization to reduce the tinniness. Lastly, I replaced the pads with some Creative World of Warcraft pads, and I recommend that all K240/HD681 owners do the same.

And while we're on the topic of hype trains and de-railing (see what I did there?), out of the box, my HA-S400s were probably the most repulsive headphone I have ever heard. Worse than the Coby's I pad-cannibalized for the HA-S500s. Just. Bad. Hopefully burn-in works miracles.

Edit: common sense.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2,928 of 8,352
Do tell us how they are/ go with your S500s and I want to see some of your skillful sewing work on those pads. :D

I fully expect your results.

Interesting so far......

Like a completely different full size headphone, so gimme a little time to compare to my other full size phones. To be continued..... :)

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,930 of 8,352
Quote:
Interesting so far......
Like a completely different full size headphone, so gimme a little time to compare to my other full size phones. To be continued.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome back on-board sir!
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2,931 of 8,352
There are some contradicting opinions on rock reproduction. Does it really sound great on modded S500s? I'm also wondering why shouldn't I go for S400s instead.

For me personally, listening to modern Rock/Alternative, I would say that the genre isn't their forte. That said, when I EQ a bit to bring the mids out more, they sound a lot better. I find the highs a bit harsh, too, so i like to EQ them down with Rock. If you're adamantly opposed to EQ, then I wouldn't recommend the S500 for Rock, but if you're willing to not be a purist, you can get excellent sounds out of them.

From what I've read, the S400 has better mid presence, so it may be a better choice. It really just depends what you're looking for from your music. I play guitar, so I like to hear those guitars nicely and I didn't find the S500 without EQ was handling that too well. A lot of the layers of guitar that were familiar to me in songs were all but missing originally. So yep, up those mids went.

Just my two cents. Everyone has their own tastes in sound.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2,932 of 8,352
Nov 10, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #2,933 of 8,352
Appreciate your views a lot! It's a shame that I'm not going to find out anything until I actually wear them myself.

I'm also wondering what does everyone think about JVC USA stance on warranty service of S500s imported from Japan. Are you all just praying they will last?

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #2,934 of 8,352
Quote:
Appreciate your views a lot! It's a shame that I'm not going to find out anything until I actually wear them myself.

I'm also wondering what does everyone think about JVC USA stance on warranty service of S500s imported from Japan. Are you all just praying they will last?

The warranty slip that came with the S500s clearly says, "This warranty is only valid in JAPAN".

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #2,935 of 8,352
Quote:

For the $47.10 they cost me, and the amount of enjoyment I have gotten from them, I'm not terribly concerned about warranty or lack thereof.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #2,937 of 8,352
Quote:

Does that price include shipping? By the way, how long does delivery to the U.S. take?

Well, I got in early on the deal, so that's what they cost me with shipping. About 12 hours after I ordered mine the prices went up...lol.
How long does delivery take? I'm not 100% sure, because I think mine were in customs limbo for a few days before I knew about it. You can order them on Amazon.com....and you do have the option to pay extra for expedited shipping.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,939 of 8,352
Quote:
Doc suggests I ask my questions in this thread. I'm currently choosing between S400/500, DT 235 and PX 200 II. I'd like to be able to wear a pair for 3+ hours without the common heat, sweat and pain issues. Therefore, lightness and comfort are very important. Although I'm not an audiophile, I'd prefer decent SQ when listening to classical, house, pop and rock. What would be the best for me? At the moment, I'm swayed towards DT 235. I'd also be grateful for safe shopping (i.e. where to buy a genuine product) advice.

Well,  I thought PX 200 II will pop up sooner or later.

I have S500 and have to say friend's PX200 II can give S500 quite a rough time when listening to acoustical music, particularly vocals. To be sure, PX200 IIs portray everything like a miniaturized version of the real thing - but an entirely believable one that can last for hours at an end without any listening fatigue. PX200 II can not touch S500 in dynamics, bass extensions etc - so, if you are listening to any musical genre that is based upon and build around bass, S500s would be a far better choice. If vocals, and particularly female vocals, are your cup of tea, then PX200 II is most certainly not to be left out of consideration.

No experience with DT 235, so I can not comment.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2,940 of 8,352
Just got my HA-S500-B today and really like them.  I can't wait to burn them in some more but initial impressions are excellent for the price.  This will probably be my portable heads for my iPhone 4s/64GB and Fiio Line out connector into a Fiio E11.

Great find.  Other nice thing about these are that they are not that common as you have to import these so kind of gives me some bragging rights. 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back