The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,696 of 8,352
I think I'm a gonna go look for places that do plastic chroming and chrome my cups gold ! :D

...then do one of Doc's OFC cable mod with unobtainium gold briaded sleeves.

...but knowing my modding history, JVC will most probably release the same thing the very next day as a limited edition item.

You know that you are a JVC Nanotube fan when you chrome your nanotubes phones. :D

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #1,697 of 8,352
Quote:
Thats pretty odd.
Just make sure u get some fine grit sandpaper and sand them till no more paint flakes off. Otherwise ur new paint job will flake and you will really be angry:rage::rage::rage:. I would sand both sides to get maximum adhesion on the paint.
Flat paint will prolly look best or metallic glossy but any overspray with gloss will stand out like a sore thumb.
Good luck.

+1 for flat paint if you do not know how to prep the plastic properly for the painting. Back in the high school, we had compulsory practice in factory of choice and I chose bus factory. IIRC, it was primer and then 10+ of layers of sprayed paint, with fine sanding the surface of each layer but the final one after it dried - time consuming, but end results were worth it. Flat paint will not showcase every little defect in the improperly/insufficiently prepared surface that crudely. Manufacturers tend to choose colours that have a somewhat gritty surface once dry, simply because this masks imperfections of the prepared surface and thus reduces cost. Proper degreasing is mandatory in either case.

My left earcup is showing similar flaking to rickdohc's, although far lesser in degree. It is not result of rough treatment in any way, just the surface was not degreased properly by the JVC prior to painting. The right one is as it should be. As I am ( ex ) plastic modeller, I can tell you that preping/masking  for the painting takes about from 95 to 99 % of the time - once you press the button on your air brush, it is all but over...with a single colour simple job, like painting an earcup.

The first hit with Google Pictures I got: http://choosingauto.blogspot.com/2011/02/air-brush-car-modification.html

Believe me, those guys will absolutely make 100% sure their surface is prepared perfectly prior to using a single atom of their paint ! 

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #1,699 of 8,352
Sep 28, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #1,702 of 8,352
Quote:
Finished my re-cable. And i said I would post the results but I got to thinking. From the last time I listened to the time i finished I don't think it is a fair test to go saying it sounds better because I don't believe anyone has that good of hearing memory over a few hours time with a subtle change like a recable. Anyway I feel like there is improvement but why wouldn't I after I went through all the trouble. All I CAN say is the cable I posted yesterday made of the same materials which I CAN do an A/B test is certainly noticable.
That being said. Instead I thought I would share some of the pics from the recable process:
Braided 4 strands of 24awg silver plated OFC. Then used a drilled die as a Y. Twisted the 2 conductors to each cup. Used braided jackets.

Driver removed.

Shows how thin the stock wire is to the replacement.

Had to melt the hole to make it a bit bigger to fit the jacket with the 2 conductors.

Buttoned up.
Pads back on.

Done deal.

Was really a lot of fun. Coulda been nicer I think but good for a first go. I recommend to anyone who has any interest and is a cabling noob (like myself) to do it as a project because they are easy to take apart and the soldering pads on the drivers are real easy to access and nice and big. And if you mess it up...... at least they are 70 dollars and not 350 dollar or more cans.

wow !
I am humbled, and not worthy... though mightily, inspired. - Mo

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,708 of 8,352
There was this transplant and im sure there was one other. Analogsurvivor maybe posted it?

I am about to try a transplant soon to a circumaural. U can check back in a few days if ive gotten round to it yet.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/1095#post_8678550

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,709 of 8,352
Quote:
There was this transplant and im sure there was one other. Analogsurvivor maybe posted it?
I am about to try a transplant soon to a circumaural. U can check back in a few days if ive gotten round to it yet.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/1095#post_8678550

Thanks for the quick response. I'll look forward to it.

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,710 of 8,352
I was thinking about transplanting options today. I'd really like these to be over-ear. I wonder if these Vibe headphones would work. They have a 40mm driver, and are super cheap at $6.95 shipped:

http://www.buy.com/prod/vibe-premium-color-dj-style-noise-reduction-headphones-blue/235528497.html?sellerid=25969172?adid=18094&

Okay got my bitchen blue "vibes" in today from buy.com for 7 dollars. Lets just say that stock the sound surely isn't going to be on the next discovery thread or run away with a thread of it's own.
58df09471d6ff1235be621599fe3947d.jpg

With that established I promptly went to taking them apart. They just pop apart with 4 little tabs.
0de2aa2a5845678c97a1b20883160381.jpg

The front is covered in a lightly glued on diffuser pad and a bunch of holes for the sound to travel through. No screw holes in site.
e9849499f50df5c93633958ea65d1d4f.jpg

The drivers are 40mm which is why I bought them in hopes of getting some JVC nanotube circumaural action going here.
65c015cb10ee4728b79b891dec15b127.jpg

Unfortunately the manufacturer of this stellar product likes glue. A LOT. There is not a single screw anwhere in the cup assymbly. They splurged and used 4 screws in the headband assymbly. What can you expect for 7 dollars (though they were advertised as being marked down from 50 bucks).

Speaking of glue, the drivers are glued. Not only that they are even partially melted in when the soldering was done.

On the plus they are VERY light and very comfortable. If the other set of cans coming in for transplant options don't pan out, I may cut out these drivers and go for it anyway. But for now I'm gunna leave em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back