The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,666 of 8,352
Gotta disagree on the HD25 velours. For me mids and highs are noticeably recessed. The bass is there but not quite as impactful. Switching to the HD25 Pleathers I was suddenly reminded of how much I was missing with the velours. The veil was lifted back off of the sound. I miss the comfort of the velours, but with the HD25 pleather I can still wear for 4-5 hours without any pain, they just get a little warm.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,667 of 8,352
Hmm so there is a difference in the 2. Nice so it seems Doc was right..Though for me the HD25 velours definitely have a forward mid section and bass. Compared to the flat sounds that is on the ATH velours that is.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,668 of 8,352
In other news.. my HD25 pleathers came in last night....wow is all I can say. So far these have the best combination of comfort, bass, highs, and mids. Suddenly all of the vocals are forward and in the middle of the mix again. Listening to The Nylons and their "Four on the Floor" album right now, so awesome.

Da dat dat daaa....:trumpet::saxophone::trumpet::saxophone::trumpet::saxophone::trumpet:... Ladies and gentlemen.... I would like to officially welcome bjaardker to the JVCHD25PP club!. International membership now:....... 2 (me included). Now I'm not the only one to have tried the HD25 Pleather.

Glad you hear the same thing I am getting out of these. And yes I did notice that dsnuts left those off the list too. Don't worry, get used to it. We will convert him one day.

(oh c'mon guys, like ANYONE here didn't think I was gunna jump all over that post :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,670 of 8,352
Quote:
Glad everyone is enjoying their new found headphones..I know many of you guys don't think changing pads will change up the sound that much or may be skeptical, I mean after all this is the same headphone we are all talking about but I can assure everyone that the pads do change the sound and in most cases for the better as well as give more comfort. So will it be worth it to get different pads?. I think so.. All the pads mentioned on this thread are as follows.

The HD25 Velours..More forward mids and bass from stock sound. Comfort as they are velours. The most musical sound out of the bunch. Highs are almost unchanged perhaps toned down by a small amount.

The ATH Velours..The most open free breathing pads there are. The widest flattest sound and the least amount of bass. Best for classical big room bands. Comfort as they are velours again.

The ATH leathers. The best balanced sound out of all the pads. These pads have the best driver size to pad ratio out of all the pads. Meaning everything is balanced correct. Bit lesser bass than the stock pads or the HD25 velours. The definition of your tunes come out in full force using this pad. The mids are a bit forward but is cleaner sounding over the HD25.

AKG pads. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-For-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261079367853?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3cc98b00ad
This one is a nice alternative to the stock pads and actually has a better sound from them. Similar to the ATH leathers but with just a touch more bass and lesser mids. but overall a nice balanced sound from these pads..  Happy listening fellas and wear them HA-S400, HA-S500 proudly as you got one of the best deals for anything audio this year by far.

Quote:
OK, got the SR60i comfy pads on, but it wasn't easy to stretch them. In fact, ripped a couple small chunks out of the pads! 
blink.gif

But damn, they are so nice to wear! Even with glasses, they are much more comfortable.
Here's another shot, with stock pad sitting on top of Grado pad, so you can see the size difference.

Quote:

Well, it ended up not being an improvement, except in comfort. Basically, what they sounded like was, Grados with slightly less bass, with a really wide soundstage!
blink.gif
 Too bad, because with those pads I could walk around with them all day I think....so comfy! 

There was actually not enough bass with the grado pads....although I wonder if the Grado bowl pads with the black electrical tape mod would work...lol.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,671 of 8,352
Ok guys, as promised some pictures of the Cobys Pads

Stock  JVC S500 and the Cobys 185

As you can see, Cobys pads are a litter more bigger, and that helps cause is covers more of you ear and improves comfort a bit.
At this moment  i am using my S500 with the Stock pads on the left cup and the Cobys at my right ear, and i am feeling how those JVC pads are pressing more on my ear.  It also will depend on the size of your ears, my ears are big
biggrin.gif

Coby Pads instaled on the left  versus JVC stock pads at the right
You can see how much bigger are the Coby pads, it helps i am telling you all.

Same materials, same quality.  note that the diameter of the coby pads is bigger.

JVC's on the Left  Cobys on the Right

Cobys are flater, also you can see the fitment of the cobys, they fit without any problem and looks stock.

Upper view
Jvc LEFT   Cobys Right

Sound:

Bass:  i am lossing some bass, so the Sound is diferent. the transform from a Bass heavy phones to Phones with bass.  you bass lovers stay away from these pads.
mids:  more foward.
highs:  brighter
The sound is wider. there is no "boxy" voices anymore.   Sound is wider.

So if you want to tame the bass, but still have deep subbass, and more mids and highs, Cobys pads do the job.  You also get a pair of "free" headphones.
And,  i must agree with joker in hes review about these cobys,  they are cheap phones but for the price? its a good deal.  with the Jvc pads the bass goes up and they sound better.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,673 of 8,352
Quote:
Looking at those Coby pads. Those should sound very similar to the ATH leathers just based on how wider the pads are.

Yes, should be the same.
The bass is there, like 85%  i am not loosing so much bass, but again i am not a bass head, the reason i am loving these "setting" is beacuse i like the added brigthness also i am not hearing boxy voices and that was something i didnt like but accepted it

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,674 of 8,352
Quote:
Man someone really ought to make a complete list of which headphones these s500's are better than 

Some thing like this: 
                                                                               Winner  
Jvc Ha-s500  Vs  ATH-M50                                   HA S500
                           V-Moda M80                              HA-S500
                           Beats Pros                                 HA-S500
                           HD598                                                 
                           K701                                                 
                           Skullcandy Aviators                          
                           K1000                                            
                           KRK KNS-8400                                           
                           HD600
                           DT880
                           And anything else people want compared.          

Edit: Filled in the ones i already think are accepted by some people in this thread                                                     

And likewise for the s400's. A complete list of Earpads would be nice too. Oh yeah, i'll post some pictures soon (hopefully) but i found some random earpads that turn these into over ears, however, it is just a big pad placed over the stock pads so no difference in sound, just in comfort. I LOVE THESE THINGS      

S500 >  all of these  + (not present for the picture) ATH M50, XB700 and a few more.

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,675 of 8,352
Quote:
Ok guys, as promised some pictures of the Cobys Pads

Stock  JVC S500 and the Cobys 185

As you can see, Cobys pads are a litter more bigger, and that helps cause is covers more of you ear and improves comfort a bit.
At this moment  i am using my S500 with the Stock pads on the left cup and the Cobys at my right ear, and i am feeling how those JVC pads are pressing more on my ear.  It also will depend on the size of your ears, my ears are big
biggrin.gif

Coby Pads instaled on the left  versus JVC stock pads at the right
You can see how much bigger are the Coby pads, it helps i am telling you all.

Same materials, same quality.  note that the diameter of the coby pads is bigger.

JVC's on the Left  Cobys on the Right

Cobys are flater, also you can see the fitment of the cobys, they fit without any problem and looks stock.

Upper view
Jvc LEFT   Cobys Right

Sound:

Bass:  i am lossing some bass, so the Sound is diferent. the transform from a Bass heavy phones to Phones with bass.  you bass lovers stay away from these pads.
mids:  more foward.
highs:  brighter
The sound is wider. there is no "boxy" voices anymore.   Sound is wider.

So if you want to tame the bass, but still have deep subbass, and more mids and highs, Cobys pads do the job.  You also get a pair of "free" headphones.
And,  i must agree with joker in hes review about these cobys,  they are cheap phones but for the price? its a good deal.  with the Jvc pads the bass goes up and they sound better.

smily_headphones1.gif

confused_face_2.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,676 of 8,352
Sorry Gee, i was refering to using JVC pads on the Coby
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,677 of 8,352
ok. i am DONE with these plastic cups..  thet got these thing that peels off`s and its driving me crazy,  so these weekend i am going to paint them, i am thinking of these colours:

Black/Flat Black
Bronze
Gunmetal

i will post pictures as soon they are painted, should be very easy.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,678 of 8,352
Quote:
ok. i am DONE with these plastic cups..  thet got these thing that peels off`s and its driving me crazy,  so these weekend i am going to paint them, i am thinking of these colours:

Black/Flat Black
Bronze
Gunmetal

Mine still look like new.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,680 of 8,352

Black/Flat Black
Bronze
Gunmetal

I have no idea what u r referring to..... What peels off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back