The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,636 of 8,352
Quote:
One of the reasons I was rather reluctant to get them in the first place - on ears in general can sound very different with minute differences in positioning.. The absolute last thing a recording engineer as myself would put on a wish list. I found similar sensitivity to positioning with universal IEMs - my solution is to always have some source of pink noise available at all times, checking each and every time I put phones off and back again. It became second nature to me.

Circumarals are better in this regard - one further important reason for doing the transplant of HA-S500 drivers into HA-M750 "everything else" in the near future. It the drivers were not that superb, I would not have bothered.

Never thought of pink noise. 

And yeah. I'm am surprised JVC hasn't produce a closed phone version with the driver. They are already manufacturing the driver after all. Seems like a slightly larger enclosure might also benefit better bass tuning. Sennheiser is selling the HD 558 and HD 598 with even less differences in enclosure construction than the an HA-S500/HA-M750 type series would be. Although that seemed like Sennheiser decided to downgrade the HD 598 to sell a cheaper version, whereas HA-S500 and HA-M750 would have different uses. 

Then again, based on this thread, if JVC did release a full closed version with this driver, I don't think I could handle the hype that would result from this thread. LOL

Quote:
I know I really noticed the same thing. You can play around with the positioning on your head to obtain different sounds for different songs. I've done the same exact thing when I want a more open airy sound to cause a small gap. Interesting....

I'm pretty sure I found the sweet spot for me. The outer edge of the back end of the phone now rests on the inside inner ridge of the ear. It does make them slightly less comfortable though. That kind of surprises me because it really does seem like I'm getting the optimal response from them now. One would think that the comfort would be designed for that, but maybe I just have funky ears 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,637 of 8,352
got the velvors. after switching them and listening to them for some times over a few songs ,I listened to a few songs and found that the bass is still there. it is just that i need to up the volume a bit. seems to me the it has gone back a bit. these velvors are more comfortable though. a bit larger so sits better. and things seem to be more same level without the bass being slightly more than some of the other sounds.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,638 of 8,352
I'm pretty sure I found the sweet spot for me. The outer edge of the back end of the phone now rests on the inside inner ridge of the ear. It does make them slightly less comfortable though. That kind of surprises me because it really does seem like I'm getting the optimal response from them now. One would think that the comfort would be designed for that, but maybe I just have funky ears :bigsmile_face:

I don't know if you saw it but about a week ago I posted on here a mod to switch the cups to wear them backwards and have the right and left cups switched.

That was the whole purpose that I did that for. It gives you more flexibility on positioning the cups at different angles and such.. Then I can get anywhere from a semi-open sound to complete bass bazookas depending on how I position them.

You can try simply wearing them backwards to see if it makes any difference for you and if it does you can do the mod.

At the time it seemed like I was the only one with the odd shaped melon that this worked for... did't seem like a real popular idea :sob:

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,639 of 8,352
Quote:
I don't know if you saw it but about a week ago I posted on here a mod to switch the cups to wear them backwards and have the right and left cups switched.
That was the whole purpose that I did that for. It gives you more flexibility on positioning the cups at different angles and such.. Then I can get anywhere from a semi-open sound to complete bass bazookas depending on how I position them.
You can try simply wearing them backwards to see if it makes any difference for you and if it does you can do the mod.
At the time it seemed like I was the only one with the odd shaped melon that this worked for... did't seem like a real popular idea :sob:

Yeah. I saw that. The S500s seem like they'd be better served by a design where the headband arms attach in the middle of the top of phones to give them more flexibility for that. Something more like the ESW9As. 

Don't know about me doing mods, though. I love to read what other people do and what is learned from that. But if I feel like I have to mod something to get it to sound how I want it, I'm the type that will just go buy something different/better. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,640 of 8,352
I just had a buddy of mine who haven't visited me in a while. This guy knows I have many a headphones at my shop so he likes to visit me to check out the newest. I had my Fire Phoenix and HA-S500 on hand and I proceeded to hand him the headphone and threw on some Eric Clapton.

His eyes opened as wide and they get and he had this shock look to his face. lol. He has never heard this before so I knew this was gonna surprise him. The guy says. "This is the best I have ever heard Eric Clapton!" unreal!." Lol. It sounds Sooo vivid" Like he is playing in front of you." 

His words. I shrugged it off like it was no big deal. And then I told him how much I spent on the combo..Needless to say the guys mind was blown.  Looks like there will be another pair of HA-S500 and the Fire Phoenix. DAC/Amp sold.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,642 of 8,352
@rickdohc:  Please ignore the Firewhatever thing.. focus on the phones that you want to buy, ok?

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,643 of 8,352
Quote:
Start saving your cash fellas.

WS99

MOAR SOLID BASS!!!

I suspect these will be on your list to try out? ^^ Did you see the MSRP, $300, same as many other similar competitors and among them V-Moda M100, seems like Audio Technica is quite confident in these.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,644 of 8,352
Ya it seems to be the season for newness. Time to move out the old and welcome the new. There is a new CKS1000 and CKS99 that will be out too. Too much new stuff.

@Jwong you should hear what your Fire Phoenix sound like through Optical. Unreal. The sound is so pure it is shocking. I have to admit the usb sounds great too. It is just that optical gives you that extra bit of clarity, efficiency and detail. One of the best if not the best audio purchases ever for me actually.

@rickdohc.. Ya ignore anything Fire Phoenix. It just throws all your earphones and headphones to a new level but that is that. Don't be tempted by pure clarity and an extreme high fidelity in all your tunes. Who wants that?

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,645 of 8,352
Quote:
Ya it seems to be the season for newness. Time to move out the old and welcome the new. There is a new CKS1000 and CKS99 that will be out too. Too much new stuff.

@Jwong you should hear what your Fire Phoenix sound like through Optical. Unreal. The sound is so pure it is shocking. I have to admit the usb sounds great too. It is just that optical gives you that extra bit of clarity, efficiency and detail. One of the best if not the best audio purchases ever for me actually.

@rickdohc.. Ya ignore anything Fire Phoenix. It just throws all your earphones and headphones to a new level but that is that. Don't be tempted by pure clarity and an extreme high fidelity in all your tunes. Who wants that?

You're killing me.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,649 of 8,352
Quote:

Yeah. I saw that. The S500s seem like they'd be better served by a design where the headband arms attach in the middle of the top of phones to give them more flexibility for that. Something more like the ESW9As. 

Don't know about me doing mods, though. I love to read what other people do and what is learned from that. But if I feel like I have to mod something to get it to sound how I want it, I'm the type that will just go buy something different/better. 

I'm with you   ...not that I'm adverse to DIY, I'm pretty handy and comfortable modding and soldering things (even SMT chips) but I hate spending the time and effort clobbering something together and POW !  ...JVC releases a brand new shining version of my Frankensteinphone.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back