The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,681 of 8,352
Quote:
Mines gonna look better than new
tongue_smile.gif

Make sure you post before and after pics. I'm wondering what peeled on yours.....

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,682 of 8,352
I Dont want people to panic, these can be a "one in a millon thing" but i got a defective unit,  since day 1 i cant touch the right plastic cup.

See the clear "flakes"? thats the clear coat the peels just by touching the cups, not even hard, just by touching them i end up with "clear coat" on my finger,

Scratches, i just made them using my finger nails before the picture so they look worse now, who cares i am going to paint them and they are defective.  Now that i am going to paint them i just rubbed hard and i got PAINT on my fingers. Seems that the paint didnt dried well.

again, they are worse than before, i was trying to not even touch the cup but now just by rubbing them paint and clear coat flys all over the place.

I got a bad unit, seems like its not something that will happen or is happening to all. i am the first reporting this problem.

See the JVC logo? paint is flying off.

it only happens in these cup, the other cup IS OK!

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,683 of 8,352
Thats pretty odd.

Just make sure u get some fine grit sandpaper and sand them till no more paint flakes off. Otherwise ur new paint job will flake and you will really be angry:rage::rage::rage:. I would sand both sides to get maximum adhesion on the paint.

Flat paint will prolly look best or metallic glossy but any overspray with gloss will stand out like a sore thumb.

Good luck.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,684 of 8,352
Quote:
On a lesser related note. I have been skimming the new Denon thread. Wow what a disaster those new headphones have turned out to be. Everyone hates them. There is like 4 pairs of the new D600 on the sale forums. Lol.  Why can't those guys just get on the JVC train and realize they can get a great sound for 1/10th of the cost of a new Denon..Well I suppose when your talking about a cheapo $55 headphone vs a $500 one. To be fair I suppose there is going to be more scrutiny over a higher priced headphone. Just wondering if the $1200 D7100 would be worth it. The word is. Not.

The Denons are NOT that bad really. Just not my cup of tea... They are indeed a bit bass heavy but I don't find them particularly killer in sub-bass... Also, highs are a bit weird for me. Sometimes they sound great and other times they do not... (inconsistent to me). At first I thought it was the tracks selected but testing with my other headphones I could hear everything Ok... It seems they are not really suited for certain genres. So they are not bad... just not $500 good... LOL.

BTW, I didn't get these because you told me they were "on-ear"... (I don't particularly like IEMs nor On-ear headphones...). I see that a lot of you have been experimenting with pads... Not sure if comfort has been brought up to OVER-ear comfortable levels... I could try them but not if they are going to murder my ears... (heck I'm using the Ultrasone Signature Pros which are over ear and sometimes I have to play with them a bit... and I don't even have big ears! :frowning2: ).

Thanks.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,685 of 8,352
Quote:
Thats pretty odd.
Just make sure u get some fine grit sandpaper and sand them till no more paint flakes off. Otherwise ur new paint job will flake and you will really be angry:rage::rage::rage:. I would sand both sides to get maximum adhesion on the paint.
Flat paint will prolly look best or metallic glossy but any overspray with gloss will stand out like a sore thumb.
Good luck.

Yea, any way, its going to be a fun DIY.  i will post pictures as soon they are painted and ready for the catwalk
L3000.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,686 of 8,352
Quote:

Yea, any way, its going to be a fun DIY.  i will post pictures as soon they are painted and ready for the catwalk
L3000.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,687 of 8,352
As long as we are OT, I thought the 7100 sounded more like a mid-fi can at best than anything else. Not entirely awful, but more of a joke at the asking price. Please hand over $1200 and wear what looks like a kind of open-faced twin hamburger deluxe on your head that sounds no better than a $300 headphone. That's a joke I just don't get.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,689 of 8,352
Quote:

The Denons are NOT that bad really. Just not my cup of tea... They are indeed a bit bass heavy but I don't find them particularly killer in sub-bass... Also, highs are a bit weird for me. Sometimes they sound great and other times they do not... (inconsistent to me). At first I thought it was the tracks selected but testing with my other headphones I could hear everything Ok... It seems they are not really suited for certain genres. So they are not bad... just not $500 good... LOL.

BTW, I didn't get these because you told me they were "on-ear"... (I don't particularly like IEMs nor On-ear headphones...). I see that a lot of you have been experimenting with pads... Not sure if comfort has been brought up to OVER-ear comfortable levels... I could try them but not if they are going to murder my ears... (heck I'm using the Ultrasone Signature Pros which are over ear and sometimes I have to play with them a bit... and I don't even have big ears! :frowning2: ).

Thanks.

The comfort level for me is a non issue. We have been experimenting with different pads. The pads I am using now is very comfy. ATH pleathers. Yes it is extra but worth it. Much softer and wider on the ears over the stock pads. They fit mostly over my ears now. Semi circumaural.
Quote:
As long as we are OT, I thought the 7100 sounded more like a mid-fi can at best than anything else. Not entirely awful, but more of a joke at the asking price. Please hand over $1200 and wear what looks like a kind of open-faced twin hamburger deluxe on your head that sounds no better than a $300 headphone. That's a joke I just don't get.

This is a damn shame. What happened to getting your moneys worth now a days. I think this is the general consensus..Not worth the money is what I am reading.  Aren't manufacturers supposed to bring out better product over their older product? 

I suppose these are the closest thing to a real successor to the D7000.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #1,691 of 8,352
Ok I just made another interconnect with twice the conductors. Sounds even better than the last one. WIth all the mods I have done and the HD25 pleather pads I am reluctant to move on with my next ideas. Also since pairing it up with my Onkyo reciever It is very hard to imagine getting better sound out of these things.

I have 2 pairs of cheapy cans coming in that take 40mm drivers. I was planning on using to try to make a semi-open circumaural with the s500 drivers. I'm thinking of abandoning the idea. (I don't think I can make these sound good fully closed, I think the bass is gunna be way too much closed).

Anyway, I might do it anyway, but If anyone ends up with an S500 with a broken headband or something, I'll buy the drivers off you. I'm reluctant to spend another 75 bucks right now just to get drivers to play with.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,692 of 8,352
Quote:

The comfort level for me is a non issue. We have been experimenting with different pads. The pads I am using now is very comfy. ATH pleathers. Yes it is extra but worth it. Much softer and wider on the ears over the stock pads. They fit mostly over my ears now. Semi circumaural.

Aree those the same pads as the M50s??? (I don't particularly like em... lol) I see there are a couple of velour options but I wouldn't want to cripple their sound (and bass) either...

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,693 of 8,352
Na not the same that is on the M50. These are from another portable can that fits an AT headphone. Though I think you would be surprised by the sound from this headphone. I can understand. I do have a feeling we will see many a mods for getting these in a full sized cup. I can't think of better drivers to try that with. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,694 of 8,352
Quote:
Mines gonna look better than new
tongue_smile.gif

I think I'm a gonna go look for places that do plastic chroming and chrome my cups gold !
biggrin.gif

...then do one of Doc's OFC cable mod with unobtainium gold briaded sleeves.

...but knowing my modding history, JVC will most probably release the same thing the very next day as a limited edition item.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,695 of 8,352
Aree those the same pads as the M50s??? (I don't particularly like em... lol) I see there are a couple of velour options but I wouldn't want to cripple their sound (and bass) either...

With the ath pleathers/coby pads the clamp force is more "light" But still you got pads on your ears.

Speaking about coby pads, the main reason i am loosing bass is because they dont clamp hard so you are loosing some seal, for more bass i just adjust them and bang. There is the bass!

Anyway, even being on ears you will find a few or no one selling them because of hurting your ears, they sound so good that people are trying to transplant the drivers or finding better pads, but not selling them. Hurts so good. :D

One thing is for sure, once jvc gives us a over ear headphone with a 50mm driver (i hope) the first pair is MINE. With these nanotube thing Jvc gots my money, sorry.... My wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back