The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Sep 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,711 of 8,352
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I'll look forward to it.

I will be doing transplant to JVC HA-M 750. Fully busy with the preparation/modification of the rig for  the recording of girls' choir this Sunday - wish I could start the transplant a couple of days ago...

Just came from the city, there is a Medieval Day tomorrow and in one of our sqares there was a concert by a medieval group Bachus ( Czech Republic ) - as a teaser for tomorow that will be packed with lots of medieval stuff. Will not be able to attend due to the preparation for the recording.

I did a binaural recording of the event - nothing to write home about, the PA system sucked badly, and it is painfully audible. The best sounding came the real fireworks at the end of the show.

Good thing - did get to test the HA-M 750 on the bus for sound isolation. Not perfect, but far better than HA-S 500 with any pads. Only wish there were drivers from HA-S 500 in there already !

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,712 of 8,352
Wow, Doc, those look nice on the outside but inside they look like they cost $7... I didn't pull the trigger on them because I'm waiting to see what the ATH pleathers do for my comfort level.

I did go and get a clearance set of Sony DR-ZX701IP today. They are pretty nice, with a surprisingly balanced sound for Sony. The comfort is nicer than my JVCs, but I can't say they sound as nice the S500s. And they've got a 50mm driver, so I won't be using them as a transplant candidate. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,713 of 8,352
Wow, Doc, those look nice on the outside but inside they look like they cost $7... I didn't pull the trigger on them because I'm waiting to see what the ATH pleathers do for my comfort level.

I did go and get a clearance set of Sony DR-ZX701IP today. They are pretty nice, with a surprisingly balanced sound for Sony. The comfort is nicer than my JVCs, but I can't say they sound as nice the S500s. And they've got a 50mm driver, so I won't be using them as a transplant candidate. :D

For sure pretty cheaply made. I did manage to pry that driver out of there so it is still a posibility that I'll do the transplant. I still have the other pair coming that I am hopeful will work. We shall see. If you (or anyone) does manage to do a successful transplant make sure you put up some pics.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,714 of 8,352
Don't know Doc I know the whole idea of transplanting these golden drivers in a bigger headphone for many benefits but in all honesty I can't see myself wearing something like that with even orthos in them. Lol. That headphone is sooo how can you say. Plasteaque! .. I suppose if they end up sounding even better the looks can be overlooked to a certain extent but damn those are ugly. lol!. A HA-M750 makes sense to me but those cost as much as the HA-S500..  In any case I am interested to read about yours and Analogs results.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,715 of 8,352
Quote:
Speaking of glue, the drivers are glued. Not only that they are even partially melted in when the soldering was done.

If it's hot glue and you need any parts, rub some 80-90% rubbing alcohol on it. Will dissolve the hot glue bond like magic. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #1,716 of 8,352
@dsnuts. I know right!? If they weren't so damn comfy when I put them on my big melon I prolly would have tossed them already. If I go through with it they are gunna have to sound pretty damn good to keep around.

@cel. Thanx. Yea I managed to pry them loose, the glue was a lot weaker than I at first thought. Looked like it was almost plasti-welded at first.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,717 of 8,352
So I was browsing the headphone section at Amazon and I land on this The SONY MDR-MA300.. So why did this catch my attention? 40mm drivers with an open housing? Hmm. I wonder why? This headphone cost $40.

So my thought is. A new SONY HA-S500? . A new open version anyone? These look muy comfy too.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,719 of 8,352
Im definitely considering it..... These other transplant candidates should be here tmrrw or monday. Lemme see how they pan out first. I gotta admit they do look pretty comfy....

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,720 of 8,352
Its the idea of having a open back free breathing version of the HA-S500 thats got me wondering how the HA-S500 drivers would sound in this particular housing. IT looks like the perfect fit for the drivers for an open sound. This with your cables DOC and. I don't know. A wide and airy sounding HA-S500? And Sony likes to angle their drivers for wider stage too. Hmm. I am tempted to try this myself. lol!

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,721 of 8,352
Quote:
Someone try the MA300 transport.  Those would be killer.  

Yes,  they are very comfy. i got a coworker that has a pair, ver comfy phone.  The sound is OK, average, "not bad not good" type of sound.  Problem is that they sell those things for 50 bucks down here, so i will wait who is going to try it first.

A Ma300 with a JVC Heart, killer HP.

Cheers  Drunken Pirates, enjoy your S500's   (Doc should know what i mean)  
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,722 of 8,352
The MA500 is also available DS and from my listen to both models was worth the extra bit of coin. Oops just reread the posts prior to this and completely missed the point on the MA300's LOL.

OK speaking of Sony...

I had a listen to a pair of the MDR V55's today and was curious if anyone here has heard them and if so if they could do a bit of comparison to the V55's. (I will post my thoughts on the V55's afterwards but want to hold off at this point as I don't want my thoughts on them to color any discussion at this point).

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,723 of 8,352
Well it's worth a try. I'm wondering if it will just end up being an S500 with NO BASS. But if anything will work that Sony looks promising. Lemme know if you do order one ds. Like I said I'll do it if my set in the mail doesn't work out.

Doc.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,724 of 8,352
So you guys think these S500 are worth spending another 40 bucks for a heart transplant?

Even if it works its going to be 75.00 + 40.00.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,725 of 8,352
True but where is that adventurous spirit. I know I am not the only person here that is curious to know how these drivers will sound in an open housing. Already spent more on pads alone...I am gonna guess that for bass loving guys this transplant will not be for you but for guys that truly want a high end sound from your HA-S500.  Might be worth the gamble. Sony already did the housing design for us. We just got to put the right drivers in that headphone. Maybe even upgrade the cable while we are at it. I am considering doing this one myself actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back