The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #961 of 8,352
Quote:
I bought the JVC HA-S500 for $75 shipped to Australia from an ebay seller in Japan.
Its very similar to the Audio-Technica SJ55 but higher quality and bassier sound.
The JVCs aren't as good as my Audio Technica M50s but still worth the price.

See, to me my S500 are better than my ATH-M50s. Everyone has different taste in sound signatures though.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #962 of 8,352
Quote:

Wow.. Great track!

Listening to it with my S500s plugged into my SoundMagic A10 with the XB ON....pure awesome.

I had a feeling you would dig this one. Look for A State of Trance Episode 573
Quote:
See, to me my S500 are better than my ATH-M50s. Everyone has different taste in sound signatures though.

Agreed..The problem with the M50s is several fold. The highs are all wrong a little too much robotic metallic like resonance on them. I would like to call it the " Transformers highs"  I suppose some may like that but to me it is too much coloration. Sparkle is one thing but when you end up hearing reverberation in the highs that's not supposed to be there that's just too much imo. The mids while smooth definitely takes a back seat to the highs and lows then add to that the smallish stage they got and you get the M50s. I gave mine away to my brother in law. Lol. He is enjoying them.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #963 of 8,352

Same here, love microdetails on the S500. Was doing a/b s500/htf600. Not even close, its 3 tiers above them.

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #965 of 8,352
Since I used the drivers from my s500's for a transplant I no longer have any use for the hd25 velour pads. If anyone is interested in them shoot me an offer via PM. Not looking for much.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #967 of 8,352
The Pioneers will have bigger bass for certain but these HA-S500 have much better detailed highs and mids, the bass end is very quality for bass fans. Not so much V shape sound as the Pioneers. Overall these have the better sound quality and much more comfy as they have less clamp and look smaller on the head.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #969 of 8,352
Do the S500 have more bass than the FXD80?  For me the FXD80 has more bass with a need to EQ down a couple of db, and with the velour pads for me there is a need to EQ up a couple of db!

Just wondering what impressions others have of the bass on comparing the S500 and FXD80!

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #970 of 8,352
Quote:
Do the S500 have more bass than the FXD80?  For me the FXD80 has more bass with a need to EQ down a couple of db, and with the velour pads for me there is a need to EQ up a couple of db!

Just wondering what impressions others have of the bass on comparing the S500 and FXD80!

Hmmm cute.. ??? I think the S500 has more bass than all of the IEMs (except for the FX40). Of the new JVC IEMs I've heard, that is. The FX700, is the JVC bass monster!

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #971 of 8,352
Quote:

Hmmm cute.. ??? I think the S500 has more bass than all of the IEMs (except for the FX40). Of the new JVC IEMs I've heard, that is. The FX700, is the JVC bass monster!

ericp10,  I am using my Aurisonics Custom Silicone tips with the FXD80...you stated previously that those tips reduced the bass, in you opinion.  I have burn in and usage of my S500 now over 400 hours, that and the velour pads that I purchased from ebay have tightened and reduced bass, sub bass, so that I need to EQ that up a couple of db, so they sound more normal in the bass.  After listening solely to the S500 for the last week, and today listening to the FXD80, the bass in the FXD80 was really pounding at basshead levels......I EQ'd them down -4db, and now I am hearing equal bass to the S500 that I have EQ'd up +2db.....and this was with much A/Bing today on multiple tracks and genres.  Also, the S500 have better clarity throughout the sound spectrum, with a bigger soundstage and spatial effect.  So for me with these JVC nantubes the FXD80 are the bass monster between these two.  I would like to hear impressions from others comparing the bass on these two!  Maybe the way these two went through burn in by me has an effect on the bass in a different way.

Thanks for your impressions ericp10.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #972 of 8,352
I just ordered mine. Can't wait. Going to be burning these in using some intense speedcore. (really high bpm electronic music.) Sounds horrible to most people, but should burn these in quite well.  Anyone have any idea if it's possible to fall asleep wearing these? ( I normally fall asleep to music while wearing on-ear headphones, which come off at some point during the night) Oh yeah, I kind of want to see these compared to something that (should be) well above their level. Like the Q701's. Would be a neat comparison. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #973 of 8,352
Quote:

Not to my ears... the FXD-80 sounds like it has at least a 3-5 db boost in the lower region compared to my decently burned-in S500.  It's too much for me which will probably be reason I sell them (the FXDs, if I let go of the S500 it's only because I get tired of the on-ear thing).

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #974 of 8,352
Quote:

Not to my ears... the FXD-80 sounds like it has at least a 3-5 db boost in the lower region compared to my decently burned-in S500.  It's too much for me which will probably be reason I sell them (the FXDs, if I let go of the S500 it's only because I get tired of the on-ear thing).

Quote:
ericp10,  I am using my Aurisonics Custom Silicone tips with the FXD80...you stated previously that those tips reduced the bass, in you opinion.  I have burn in and usage of my S500 now over 400 hours, that and the velour pads that I purchased from ebay have tightened and reduced bass, sub bass, so that I need to EQ that up a couple of db, so they sound more normal in the bass.  After listening solely to the S500 for the last week, and today listening to the FXD80, the bass in the FXD80 was really pounding at basshead levels......I EQ'd them down -4db, and now I am hearing equal bass to the S500 that I have EQ'd up +2db.....and this was with much A/Bing today on multiple tracks and genres.  Also, the S500 have better clarity throughout the sound spectrum, with a bigger soundstage and spatial effect.  So for me with these JVC nantubes the FXD80 are the bass monster between these two.  I would like to hear impressions from others comparing the bass on these two!  Maybe the way these two went through burn in by me has an effect on the bass in a different way.

Thanks for your impressions ericp10.

Okay guys, tomorrow I'll try to A/B the D80 and the S500 (if I can pull the D70 out of my ears). I'm really enjoying it's sound signature right now.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #975 of 8,352
Stop talking about DAT FXD80 bass you'll, making me salivate here!!! Unlike many of you I can't get enough of that sexy nanotube bass.  haha I wish my FXD70s had more bass than my FX40s.  Damn if the 80s has more bass than the S500s I don't think I have enough self control to wait till they hit stateside.  
triportsad.gif

Oh and thanks eric for all your invaluable impressions on the FXD70 and 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back