The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #691 of 8,352
Quote:

Well, finally something has changed. Instead of the above, which is what I have been seeing for days when I check my tracking status, today when I tried to do so I got

So I am hoping this is a positive step...lol.

Damn! They attempted delivery to me today and I didn't hear the postman knocking on the door! 
eek.gif
blink.gif

Arranged for redelivery tomorrow......and I will be within sight and sound of said front door....lol

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #692 of 8,352
Quote:
I purchased these when Amazon was selling them at a low price. I realized I'll never use on-ear phones (over-ear for home and in-ear for going out) so I'll pass these on to someone else just as curious as I was. I've used these for about 5 hours max.

Asking for $58 (price paid + shipping/fees) shipped for these like new in the box (I can send pictures upon request). I can have these shipped tomorrow and in your hands on Thursday.

Also posted on buy/sell, will prioritize by first PM.

OH NOs people are abandoning ship, quick Dsnuts save this thread from the non faithfuls.
Quote:
 Damn! They attempted delivery to me today and I didn't hear the postman knocking on the door! 
eek.gif
blink.gif

Arranged for redelivery tomorrow......and I will be within sight and sound of said front door....lol

Damn yours got to you faster than me, mine still in USPS hands slowly but surely coming ha, hopes it's here tomorrow.  Should be here early this week at the latest.  Oh I'll probably buy/ try  the mega earbud foam covers Dsnuts linked earlier for $3.79, thanks for the links meng!

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #693 of 8,352
Quote:

Here you go.......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-FIT-ATH-Audio-Technica-ESW9-ES7-FC7-Headphones-/261084114242?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3cc9d36d42

Check out his "other items", lots of ear pads....I just posted info about him a few posts back!

The seller relisted within minutes, bought one pair and called it a day - good night infact, it was 1 AM here...

But, "damn you" for "other items" - seller has this great case for AKG K 701/702

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Headphone-Case-For-K-701-702-K701-K702-/251126487447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a784e1997#ht_6385wt_857

and I think it could be used for the K 1000 too. Original wooden box is cool for ooching and aaching at home, but is mighty impractical and vulnerable for scratches/dents if you have to frequently use it in the field like me. Will see how strong is my will power, I made bet with myself I will not be buying anything audio this month anymore - but this case looks SOOOOoooooo tempting. In this instance -  "damn you" = thanx !

Next month is case mine for sure !

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #694 of 8,352
I went to collect mine from the post office today where they have been since last Thursday. This is my 1st pair of on ear headphones and they seem pretty comfortable to me. I didn't realise they would be this small but that's a good thing as I'll be able to wear these outside. I haven't listened to them yet properly and won't until they are burned in. How many hours should I burn these in for? 200?

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #695 of 8,352
Nice think we gonna get like a couple of first impressions this week and people that got them last week should have decent amount burn in time by now. Oh and Jupiterknight gave a pretty interesting comparison between the S500 and the Noontec Zoros here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616365/noontec-zoro/30

Man I wish noontec would make an over ear version of the zoros like the beats studios. ha

Hope to hear more from you'll.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #696 of 8,352
I didn't really want to believe the whole burn-in thing but, crap, guys, it's true. Or ... placebo? I was really disappointed by the mids-highs on these cans but after 3-4 days of letting it run tracks non-stop, I feel that there's an improvement on the higher frequencies. I am enjoying them a lot more.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #697 of 8,352
This thread might save me a lot of money.  After years using IEM's I fancy some change and like to try now some proper headphones.  I thought I get the v-moda M80 but then I discovered this thread.  Carbon nanotubes....cool!  The price is also right and the reviews are pretty good too reading between the lines  :wink:

Re the above eBay earpads I just like to point out that in the description it says  that they might be seconds with possible defects.  I hope it works out for those who already ordered them.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #698 of 8,352
I didn't really want to believe the whole burn-in thing but, crap, guys, it's true. Or ... placebo? I was really disappointed by the mids-highs on these cans but after 3-4 days of letting it run tracks non-stop, I feel that there's an improvement on the higher frequencies. I am enjoying them a lot more.

I think I am hearing this as well. Mine have about 20-30 hours on them now and it appears that things are tightening up and leveling out a bit. The bass and lower mids are still a bit boomy to my ears but it does appear that this has improved.

I wonder if dampening the cups with some dynamat or filler would help tighten things up even more.... Hmmm.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #699 of 8,352
Quote:
This thread might save me a lot of money.  After years using IEM's I fancy some change and like to try now some proper headphones.  I thought I get the v-moda M80 but then I discovered this thread.  Carbon nanotubes....cool!  The price is also right and the reviews are pretty good too reading between the lines  :wink:

Re the above eBay earpads I just like to point out that in the description it says  that they might be seconds with possible defects.  I hope it works out for those who already ordered them.

You are looking at the ebay description of new, it also says see mfg description, listed below!  Note seller Description:  100% Brand new & high quality

Custom-Made, Material object photography
Compatible with ATH Audio-Technica ESW9, ES7, FC7,
100% Brand new & high quality
Material: Soft foam (inner),Velvet Cloth (the outer skin)
Durable and soft, high elasticity
Original Quality, Made in local design factory in Shanghai
[td=colspan:2] [size=medium]Description[/size][/td]

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #700 of 8,352

They're still in the box, but I have to leave and run some errands first. I'll post initial impressions later today though! 
L3000.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #701 of 8,352
Quote:

Quote:
I think I am hearing this as well. Mine have about 20-30 hours on them now and it appears that things are tightening up and leveling out a bit. The bass and lower mids are still a bit boomy to my ears but it does appear that this has improved.
I wonder if dampening the cups with some dynamat or filler would help tighten things up even more.... Hmmm.

You guys are no where near done with burn in.. Another week or 2 of non stop music blasting is what is called for. Keep at it..

Congrats Achmedisdead...I am 100% certain you will find these to your liking. lol.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #702 of 8,352
Quote:
You guys are no where near done with burn in.. Another week or 2 of non stop music blasting is what is called for. Keep at it..

Congrats Achmedisdead...I am 100% certain you will find these to your liking. lol.

I really have to stress this as well and I'm neither here nor there on burn-in most of the time.  Some things I swear make little difference, this is one that really does.

As things stand now these seem to be far more neutral than out of the box... still a bit boosted in the bass, but in a very coherent/musical way and the mids/treble seem mostly flat to my ears, no peaks/valleys.  They straddle the line nicely between what I'd call musical/fun and accurate with no glaring faults.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #703 of 8,352
Quote:

I honestly think you just need to pump up the volume to bring the hours down - get as much energy flowing through them as possible.  What about that guy who burned in his FXD40s for like 300 hours, experiencing little in the way in changes, then blasted them to hell for 24 hours and boom, they were there?

The material is strong and probably can take a ton more volume than a paper or plastic dynamics, well above audible distortion levels as long as the driver is not experiencing tearing is should be fine.  The point is to make it as loose as possible to increase transient response, right?  Poor transient response is where all the the bloat and congestion manifests.

I have about 60-70 hours on my pair now, about 40 of that with DnB at levels about twice what I listen at.  They've improved in a way that has me stunned.  As they are they leave my FXD80s I picked up from dweaver in the dust, but I'll be subjecting those to the same effort soon.  The bass has subdued a bit, is now sharp and textured and the mids have pretty much lost any hint of congestion.  I can actually turn the volume up a couple notches above my normal listening (very loud, probably over 100 db) before I hear them struggle when they're on ear, of course just for short periods of time.  I can swap these between my GR07s and feel that I'm giving up little in terms of speed or definition, which is crazy as these do still pack a wallop down low.  That a far cry from what I experienced on open box.

If any head-fiers are in San Diego let me know.  I work in various coffee shops around the downtown/uni heights area and would be happy to meet up so you could have a listen, just my MBA -> DF -> S500.

Fx40

In my case,  burn them 48 hours at mid-high volume, results: still highs where to harsh for me and was lacking some bass. Then to proceded to  burn them "to hell"  360 hours mores at full blast, to the point of almost distorsion. Total Burn in hours: 400 hours , 80% at full blast!

Results? i LOVE them.. they sounds amazing,  they now have close to 500 hours of burnin,  i leave them at night at full blast, they just ask for more and more.  those of you that have FX40 and dont like the "highs". PLEASE BURN THEM!... burn them day and nights.. these things are impresive once they have more than 450 hours

i know, i only have cheap iems to compare them.. but non of them compare or are even close to the FX40, its on a league on its own.  the clarity is amazing.
etysmile.gif
i
just switched to my "200 hours of burnin Fx101".. NO WAY.. its not even a contest! its a TKO!!   SHE3580 with 200 hours of burnin? sounds cheaps, mids are way to back, highs are lacking.

Call me crazy if you want.. bui i know what i am hearing!!!  i paid 18 bucks for these?  its INSANE!

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #705 of 8,352
Quote:

I'll keep at this regiment of leaving them running a shuffle mix of hip-hop at home, while I am away at work. All I want is more expressive mids and highs and (don't shoot me), a mellowing of the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back