The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #661 of 8,352
Quote:

I know, right?   The cool thing is that JVC is clearly taking the more value road here so upcoming circum-aural or open phones (ie. ~50mm) will be interesting if they ever hit the market in the sub $200 price bracket. 

Exactly something along those lines I was thinking of. As much as I dislike(d) CD there is no denying it did improve the quality of listening for majority of listeners. Analog of course is better - but at what cost multiple of CD rig it really makes sense to go analog ? RBCD by its very definition will never be able to provide "perfect sound forever" promised at the time of its inception.

Nanotubes have no such inherent built-in limitation as CD - let's support manufacturers who are doing pioneering in bringing us better sound at lower cost.

If what you guys who already have it say is at least partially true, which I have very little ground to doubt, then we might finally become transducers
that seem to do music justice. Frequency AND dynamic range approximating real thing - how many existing headphones, regardless of price, have you heard to do that? I consider Stax Omega very flawed design - it is smooth and sweet, yet its dynamic range is just plain insufficient. To its credit ( auditioned with its tube amp ) is the fact it clips eminently civilized - like a car that just will not go over say 60 mph nomatterwhat, you  can push the pedal through the metal - it will still sound civilized, but 10 seconds hearing piano live will expose it as being compressed. I prefer Labda Pro/SRM 1 MK2, it is more balanced performer considering both sound signature AND dynamic range - it is less smooth/rafined but let's say its dynamic range is "sufficient". I could go on and on, my beloved AKG K 1000 have their limitations and one must steer clear of the tracks they are incapable of reproducing ( anything with good deep dynamic bass ) etc. JVC HA-S seems to be the jack of all trades and possibly master of some - at about one tenth the price. Yes, I would love to have circumarals of somewhat bigger dimensions  - but Rome was not built overnight either. I do not think it was a coincidence JVC came up with IEMs with carbon nanotubes at first - perhaps technology has not matured yet to consistently produce bigger diaphragms , or the price would be too high - they are obviously taking one step at a time. JVC has very good track record when developing new technologies - CD-4 quadrophonia, although ultimately unsucessful in the market, did more than anything to improve phono cartridges ( and reproduced sound in home ) in say last 40 years and everyone must be familiar with VHS video. And their original first gen products in those fields are still considered valid even today. Hope HA-S500 is following suit.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #662 of 8,352
The FXD80 is an upgrade to the sounds on the FXT90. So says flysweep and others that have had both. The imagery on the FXD80 is astounding..I own the TF10s they collect all the dust around my shop. Now I can't even find them. I would be telling you a lie and injustice if I told you the TF10 is better.  Nope. The JVC FXD80 need a good driver spanking though but end up being something very special in earphone land.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #664 of 8,352
Quote:
Get yourself a JVC FXD80 instead. Cheaper and better sounding earphone Imo.

So I was browsing through the bay. Look at these. lol.

Who says you have to just have all black. These will fit the HA-S500 but cost more than the standard black velours $35 or so.

Got these yesterday.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251118955207&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160 . fit 70mm, leather pads that are more comfortable than the stock pads.  The foam is flat vs the rounded stock pads.  Ordered on the 9th, got them on the 18th, first class mail.  These are a perfect fit, just like the stock pads, so easy to change.  No sound change, just better comfort, like the ESW9's that I had a few months ago!

The will be here tommorrow....http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251121814696&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160 fit 70mm, same size as above, only velour, from the same ebay seller.  Fit should be the same as the leather pads, cheaper than the HD25 pads as well!

If anyone is interested!

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #665 of 8,352
Well if you prefer earphones than a headphone that is on ear.. Then the FXD80. If you don't mind spending a little more on velours on top of your HA-S500 which still cost a bit less than one FXD80., the HA-S500 as you can see from all the enthusiastic crowd of initial posts. These are also something I would consider special.

Now lets say you want one for movies and gaming too. Hands down the HA-S500 but if you want some of the best sounding earphone with a crazy amount of imagery the FXD80 have the highest end tuning JVC has ever done for any of their products.  So it will come down to the question. In ear or on ear. That is the question.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #666 of 8,352
Quote:
Forget my last question, some looking around found that dsnuts and kiteki said they prefer FXD80 to FXT90 and TF10

Now I think it may have been said but what do you guys think of the FXD80 and the new HAS500's? I could get both but would rather not.

They are like "peas in a pod"!  Get both and pound the crap out of em!

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #667 of 8,352
Quote:
Well if you prefer earphones than a headphone that is on ear.. Then the FXD80. If you don't mind spending a little more on velours on top of your HA-S500 which still cost a bit less than one FXD80., the HA-S500 as you can see from all the enthusiastic crowd of initial posts. These are also something I would consider special.

Now lets say you want one for movies and gaming too. Hands down the HA-S500 but if you want some of the best sounding earphone with a crazy amount of imagery the FXD80 have the highest end tuning JVC has ever done for any of their products.  So it will come down to the question. In ear or on ear. That is the question.

I just need a $100-$150 IEM as I want full portable to go. I would rather get IEM than portable headphone if they are similar.

The FXD80 are carbon nanotube right as part of Victor series.

If I get paid correctly today, I'll put the FXD80 on my list.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #670 of 8,352
Quote:
Exactly something along those lines I was thinking of. As much as I dislike(d) CD there is no denying it did improve the quality of listening for majority of listeners. Analog of course is better - but at what cost multiple of CD rig it really makes sense to go analog ? RBCD by its very definition will never be able to provide "perfect sound forever" promised at the time of its inception.

Nanotubes have no such inherent built-in limitation as CD - let's support manufacturers who are doing pioneering in bringing us better sound at lower cost.

If what you guys who already have it say is at least partially true, which I have very little ground to doubt, then we might finally become transducers
that seem to do music justice. Frequency AND dynamic range approximating real thing - how many existing headphones, regardless of price, have you heard to do that? I consider Stax Omega very flawed design - it is smooth and sweet, yet its dynamic range is just plain insufficient. To its credit ( auditioned with its tube amp ) is the fact it clips eminently civilized - like a car that just will not go over say 60 mph nomatterwhat, you  can push the pedal through the metal - it will still sound civilized, but 10 seconds hearing piano live will expose it as being compressed. I prefer Labda Pro/SRM 1 MK2, it is more balanced performer considering both sound signature AND dynamic range - it is less smooth/rafined but let's say its dynamic range is "sufficient". I could go on and on, my beloved AKG K 1000 have their limitations and one must steer clear of the tracks they are incapable of reproducing ( anything with good deep dynamic bass ) etc. JVC HA-S seems to be the jack of all trades and possibly master of some - at about one tenth the price. Yes, I would love to have circumarals of somewhat bigger dimensions  - but Rome was not built overnight either. I do not think it was a coincidence JVC came up with IEMs with carbon nanotubes at first - perhaps technology has not matured yet to consistently produce bigger diaphragms , or the price would be too high - they are obviously taking one step at a time. JVC has very good track record when developing new technologies - CD-4 quadrophonia, although ultimately unsucessful in the market, did more than anything to improve phono cartridges ( and reproduced sound in home ) in say last 40 years and everyone must be familiar with VHS video. And their original first gen products in those fields are still considered valid even today. Hope HA-S500 is following suit.

Aren't the S500 diaphrams "carbon nanotube" coated film?  Can someone confirm this?  Thought I read that somewhere!

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #671 of 8,352
Quote:

Got these yesterday.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251118955207&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160 . fit 70mm, leather pads that are more comfortable than the stock pads.  The foam is flat vs the rounded stock pads.  Ordered on the 9th, got them on the 18th, first class mail.  These are a perfect fit, just like the stock pads, so easy to change.  No sound change, just better comfort, like the ESW9's that I had a few months ago!

The will be here tommorrow....http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251121814696&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160 fit 70mm, same size as above, only velour, from the same ebay seller.  Fit should be the same as the leather pads, cheaper than the HD25 pads as well!

If anyone is interested!

Poof - gone (0/4 available). Velour pads - hope they get relisted...

Great find, cute !

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #672 of 8,352
Quote:
That is a great find cute.. If you guys haven't gotten velours yet for your HA-S500. Believe me they are worth it for certain.

Here is a find.....the ebay seller of these pads has a store front on Amazon, "Tokyo Japan"....he is the same dude that had the S500 on Amazon last week, that sold for $23, Kenichi Muto is his name, goes by Ken.  He sent me a nice note with a bag of tea.  Feedback is 100%.  I sent him an email asking for more information, as he offered assistance with purchasing items from Japan!

Also, what are the M-100's from a previous post?

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #673 of 8,352

Users who are viewing this thread

Back